Opera Mini Approved Now For Iphone On App Store

livinthailandos

This just came out today. I've already downloaded it to my iphone and using it now

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/04/13/

Opera Mini, enables fast mobile Web browsing by compressing data by up to 90 percent before sending content to the device, resulting in significantly improved page loading. Users of the app will notice an uptake in speed, especially on slower networks such as the 2G Edge network.

Hope you all enjoy.

In case some of you don't know what opera is its a web browser like safari but not the same in terms of many factors. Try it for yourself its free

Nice set of fucntions unavailable in Safari, I like! Also, it is great that it renders the text to fit better for reading.....Safari's text on some web pages can be so small, Opera allows you to choose a text size....this make reading TV much more enjoyable on the iPhone.

so far I like it, though in landscape orientation doesn't seem to fit pages very well. Reprocessing of text makes it for a more readable experience in many sites. I've found a few sites, like Chordie for example, don't seem to be able to render or execute correctly. Anyway, it is a beta, so I'm sure it will get better. the last day or two I've used Opera about 90% of the time for my iPhone browser....how about you guys?

Well, it's noticeably faster on 2G connections. Any difference on WIFI seems negligible, based on a couple of days use.

Musings in no particular order. Mostly subjective:

- In spotty coverage areas, it seems to take longer to timeout. In some instances it's been beneficial.

- The app seems a little too "snappy" for my taste. Perhaps it'll just take time getting to used to.

- My pages don't seem to cache. Noticeable on some larger pages.

- Pinch zooming just isn't quite there.

Despite all of this, I use it a majority of the time. Might replace Safari in the dock in another week.

Edited by mshoichi

I also like how when you push the back button the page doesn't have to load again like it does on Safari. As others have said it is also much faster making painfully slow connections seem bearable. Other then that everything else about it pretty much sucks in comparison.