Rooling Your "r's" Any Advice How To Do This

acoustic25

hey im having trouble rolling my R's has anyone got any advice on how to perfect this?

ive practised rolling them everytime i get chance but cant seem to get it right.

i sound like horse lol

any advice would be kindly appreciated :)

khop khun krab

<h3 class="UIIntentionalStory_Message" data-ft="{"type":"msg"}">(เจโรเบิร์ตส)</h3>

Best advice---don't worry about r. Anything like an l will work just as well. Thai makes no distinction (in practical, ordinary spoken language) between the two sounds. That's why Thai speakers have such a time hearing and distinguishing l and r in English. A rolled r is correct. But never heard in the ordinary course of affairs. Maybe in a formal speech. Or maybe if the speaker is really high-born and wants to make the point that this is the case. 99.9% of the time, l will work for r just fine.\

i am still in middlesbrough

and whats that supposed to mean?

Oh sorry I thought you were here in Los

So your still at school then

:D

im currently workng in england for abit then heading back to bangkok to study thai language, studying in england has finished. did 6 years of it.

i wish i was in the LOS now :)

Best advice---don't worry about r. Anything like an l will work just as well. Thai makes no distinction (in practical, ordinary spoken language) between the two sounds. That's why Thai speakers have such a time hearing and distinguishing l and r in English. A rolled r is correct. But never heard in the ordinary course of affairs. Maybe in a formal speech. Or maybe if the speaker is really high-born and wants to make the point that this is the case. 99.9% of the time, l will work for r just fine.\

thank you for the information :)

yeah i keep reading about the r and the l's but also been told that its not always the case.

ive heard "aroi" being said as in "aloi"

is this because lack of education?

Edited by acoustic25

I once asked my girlfriend why Thais couldn't pronounce their "r"s

Her answer? "I can! I can say ........................... lun labbit, lun labbit, lun labbit, lun."

Seriously though, don't worry about it. The rolling isn't natural, rarely heard, not expected. I see from your profile that you have been trying to teach yourself Thai. Very difficult without a native Thai speaker helping you. Good luck.

mai bpen rai

khop khun krab

I see that you are using transliteration to write Thai. If you are serious about learning forget the transliteration, learning to read & write correct Thai will help you get the tones and sounds right. Learn the alphabet before you come over here, that will save a lot of time and money in a school.

Surely as an English speaker you should be able to roll your Rs anyway. Did your mam never make you do 'round the rugged rocks the rotten rascal ran'?

But as posters have said L or R really doesn't matter. Although I think that rolling your Rs is (in central areas) generally considered more 'posh' or 'chaat' at least. Take Ratchaburi, where I live. It can be said as Ratchaburi, with both Rs beautifully rolled, or Ratburi with a kind of half roll (Would it be called a glottal stop)? or Latlee with very flat Ls.

Good to see you're learning Thai, but as someone with nearly 10 years experience in teaching myself, I recommend you get a teacher. Mind you, I guess you could be a good student- mine was lousy

mai bpen rai

khop khun krab

I see that you are using transliteration to write Thai. If you are serious about learning forget the transliteration, learning to read & write correct Thai will help you get the tones and sounds right. Learn the alphabet before you come over here, that will save a lot of time and money in a school.

thank you for the information

im currently learning 'colloquial thai by john moore' which is very good for learning how to read and write thai. i have learned half of the alphabet so far. i would advise anyone learning thai to use this book for beginners

Surely as an English speaker you should be able to roll your Rs anyway. Did your mam never make you do 'round the rugged rocks the rotten rascal ran'?

But as posters have said L or R really doesn't matter. Although I think that rolling your Rs is (in central areas) generally considered more 'posh' or 'chaat' at least. Take Ratchaburi, where I live. It can be said as Ratchaburi, with both Rs beautifully rolled, or Ratburi with a kind of half roll (Would it be called a glottal stop)? or Latlee with very flat Ls.

Good to see you're learning Thai, but as someone with nearly 10 years experience in teaching myself, I recommend you get a teacher. Mind you, I guess you could be a good student- mine was lousy

never learned that saying, first time ive heard it :)

there is currently no teachers in the north east of england where im from so waiting till august to scope out any decent languages schools or maybe even a university, which is better to be taught at, university or a language school?

I copied page after page of dot to dot writing helpers and sat and spent hours practising writing the letters. It's kind of cool to do too, as it's a simple, and repetitive task that you have to concentrate on.

If you know how speakers of Spanish say their r (not rr) that seems to be how r is said up north here. With the tip of the tongue hitting the roof half way back. Or simply speak Spanish. :)

was thinking i bet the spanish could roll their R's pretty good

lucky

The interchanging of r for l is very much a regional dialect thing. Some dialects just remove the letter altogether.

I learned the rolling r back in highschool Spanish, and its also the same as in Japanese.

I've been told that back in the day, Thai people would pronounce 'krap' with a Spanish 'rr' roll. Now its just 'kap' . . .

I trick I heard many years ago while studying Spanish was to say "pot of tea" repeatedly and as quickly as you can. Give it a try and you might find yourself rolling your "r" without thinking about it.

I trick I heard many years ago while studying Spanish was to say "pot of tea" repeatedly and as quickly as you can. Give it a try and you might find yourself rolling your "r" without thinking about it.

thanks for the tip

i will give it ago and see how it works out :)