Uk Bank Account For Thai

My wife would like to open a bank account but has only been in the UK for 3 months, I've spoken to A&L which requires a credit check and I expect most will do the same. Are there any bank account which dont require credit checks?

Thanks,

Jay

I think most banks just need proof of address in the UK and a copy of the visa in their passport, at least that's what HSBC and Nationwide both told me.

But for my wife I converted my LloydsTSB account into a joint account. That way she was able to have a normal visa debit card straight away instead of having to start with a 'basic bank account'. Then after 2-3 months she's also able to go into the bank and open an account in just her own name and, because she's 'already an account holder', again she can have a 'normal' account with a visa debit card.

Edited by sumrit

Some banks make it difficult for some reason - Natwest did for my wife (many years ago though). Abbey was easy, just proof of address and passport. As I owned my own company at the time I wrote her a letter offering her a job, which she took to the Job Centre and go a letter back from the tax office with a new Nation Insurance number - we used this as proof of address. She also had Nationwide account too.

You may find it easier to take her to your branch and go as guarantor too.

You could also try the Post Office.

Edited by wolf5370

I called the local council as soon as my missus arrived to add her to the council tax bill (if you're claiming single person's you need to do this anyway). They replied very quickly with a a revised bill. So you get your proof of address.

I then went to Barclays where i hold an account. She had no problem opening a current account and a savings account. They also gave her a cheque book which i thought was strange as they wouldn't give one to me when I came back from Thailand but maybe we were just lucky.

The other thing to do is to have her name added to all the utilities accounts. Useful for proof of address/living together in future and for her to start building a credit record.

I also arranged for Barclaycard to send my missus a card in her name but on my account for emergencies etc.

My ex wife is Japanese. When the electoral roll forms came around, we just put her on the electoral roll as a UK citizen. It may well be wrong in a technical sense but the simple fact is that being on the electoral roll is the primary form of credit referencing there is and whereas you may be able to deal with things at your bank, the whole world of online computer decision credit will never be open to anyone who is not on the electoral roll.

It is a means to an ends and lets face it, she can get a UK passport fairly easily after a couple of years anyway,

I put my wifes name on the electoral roll 2 years ago, and continued the process every year.

I applied at lloyds tsb this month online, and was approved instanstly without the need to provide identification. Also she got a £5000 advance credit card with lloyds.

Other foreigners get away with this which I knew the system was being abused when I was 16, and that was 20 years ago and is still being abused.

If you don't want to take that channel, then my other friend opened a Lloyds TSB account using the following:-

But if you take her passport, and she has the same surname as you, then you can use one of your utility bills to sacrifice for the proof of address. They opened the account immediately without a credit check, full current account with debit card. The main concern was they wanted to see the settlement visa. and they made a phone call, and head office approved it, and within 5 days everything came through.