Bag Snatch

While driving my wife to Chewang today I saw a group of falang tourist walking along the ring road in Lamai. A Thai guy on a scooter rode up and grabbed a bag off one of the females in the group and sped off.

I tried to follow the guy but couldn't keep up as he weaved his way through the traffic.

There were plenty of other people on scooters who must of seen what had happened but not one of them followed or did anything about it.

I do understand people not wanting to get involved but bloody hel_l you would think that someone would at least make an effort.

I know about 4 people this has happened to in the last year and it is such a shame this is happening as it just adds to Koh Samui's reputation as a place to avoid when holidaying in Thailand.

I have known of two people, both females, who have been kicked off their bikes whilst riding by themselves , and robbed.

One on the ring road near the big rock turn from Chaweng to Lamai, the other near Big Buddha. Both ended up in hospital.

Not good.

I do understand people not wanting to get involved but bloody hel_l you would think that someone would at least make an effort.

do you ever read the pattaya forum ? you never know what these people might do to you if you catch up with them !, them may have knives or even guns !,

where abouts on the ring road was it ?, as up to buddy or IT complex, it is covered by CCTV

you would think that someone would at least make an effort

you would ?

Is there reallly a place for a Hero in a Country where life really is so cheap ??

Correct MSingh, and in the full knowledge the BIB won't do anything anyway. Sad but true :)

to be honest, this happens worldwide, not only in thailand.

if you put a sausage outside your door, the dog will eat it.

no way the ants or birds would be there first is it a cooked sausage or raw?

What if it was at night when all the birds were asleep. Depends on the time of day doesn't it.

what about bats? do bats eat sausages? they fly about at night?

I didn't mention bats, I said birds, and in any event bats, although mistakenly called 'flying rodents' or 'flying rats" are in fact mammals, that mostly east insects, fruits and flower nectar. I doubt a bat would eat a sausage.

Hmmm....

We should bait these guys.

A handbag/bag packed with some RDX/C4 a blasting cap and remote denotator is all we need. We'll get BigC to dress up as a female tourist and wait for one of these guys to snatch the bag...

100 metres down the road we detonate by remote. That should send a warning out to the rest of them. :D

Anyone up for this? :)

what about bats? do bats eat sausages? they fly about at night?

I didn't mention bats, I said birds, and in any event bats, although mistakenly called 'flying rodents' or 'flying rats" are in fact mammals, that mostly east insects, fruits and flower nectar. I doubt a bat would eat a sausage.

They might do if it was one of those little cocktail sausages. Has anyone actually seen a bat turn down a sausage that was offered to it?

to be honest, this happens worldwide, not only in thailand.

if you put a sausage outside your door, the dog will eat it.

no way the ants or birds would be there first

I left my mate's dog some breakfast on the balcony of his house in Trinidad. A couple of minutes later I hear him yelping and find him cowering in a corner while a few birds are feasting on his grub and a couple give him a malevolent stare. An easy mugging.

He's not such a big fan of alfresco dining these days.

Sorry I can't remember if it was sausages tho.

Edited by smokie36

Hmmm....

A handbag/bag packed with some RDX/C4 a blasting cap and remote denotator is all we need. We'll get BigC to dress up as a female tourist and wait for one of these guys to snatch the bag...

100 metres down the road we detonate by remote. That should send a warning out to the rest of them. :D

Anyone up for this? :D

Matt this is a top idea and i would be there for sure to help out. But would we need work permits for this ?? :)

We need more farangs like you in Thailand. Its about time people got rid of these tossers who do these petty crimes to tourists

This is a sign of global success and wealth. Robbers, criminals of any sort always line up in to a places that prove to have something worthy. Only way to stop this kind of behavior from spreading is to catch them fast and slap them with decent sentences.

Basically Samui police needs to be looking after these culprits and being a vigilant Samuian really doesn't hurt - you don't need to go that last mile. Goodies for the "Trapper". :)

i was in bali when a bag snatcher was caught, the driver got away but the passanger fell off the bike and to say the least it was a horrific scene of mob justice, ending with the thiefs head bashed in by bricks and boards d.o.a. by the time the police arrived. what was even more amazing it took place ina tourist heavy area like the beach road in chewang at 18:00, the place was full of tourist and traffic but everything stopped as the mob paraded the thief down the road until they reached the bonjar (pu bon) where the village head decided what the penalty for tarnishing bali image and hurting local business should be. imo a little vigilante justice can go a long way in detering rapist, and thiefs. Having said this It was the only time i was ver affraid in bali; the natives wanted blood and i did not want to be near them.

Hmmm....

Anyone up for this? :D

Matt this is a top idea and i would be there for sure to help out. But would we need work permits for this ?? :)

We need more farangs like you in Thailand. Its about time people got rid of these tossers who do these petty crimes to tourists

You can actually make pretty decent explosives from common household items, yet alone what you can buy in the pharmacies here, or order from Bangkok.

A mobile phone could be used as a remote detonator...

Hmmm..... now you've started me thinking... :D

You can actually make pretty decent explosives from common household items, yet alone what you can buy in the pharmacies here, or order from Bangkok.

A mobile phone could be used as a remote detonator...

Hmmm..... now you've started me thinking... :D

Now you got me thinking, if you should talk about this on here :)

i was in bali when a bag snatcher was caught, the driver got away but the passanger fell off the bike and to say the least it was a horrific scene of mob justice, ending with the thiefs head bashed in by bricks and boards d.o.a. by the time the police arrived. what was even more amazing it took place ina tourist heavy area like the beach road in chewang at 18:00, the place was full of tourist and traffic but everything stopped as the mob paraded the thief down the road until they reached the bonjar (pu bon) where the village head decided what the penalty for tarnishing bali image and hurting local business should be. imo a little vigilante justice can go a long way in detering rapist, and thiefs. Having said this It was the only time i was ver affraid in bali; the natives wanted blood and i did not want to be near them.

I can picture this here on Samui.... :) More exciting than Songkran! Local paper headlines: "Mayor's son hung, drawn and quartered in Chaweng for stealing Aussi Mum's handbag! Body paraded down Chaweng beach road to the tune of "Bad To The Bone". :D

personally i think that the law should be u to the vitims of the crime. think for theiving max pentalty should be hand cuffed and free kicks. time limited depending on the crime.

in the old days they had stocks for theifs. that would be bad. maybe thai the theif the the village tree a do salob sa ly them

I am not one to condone violence but I really like MattCinderey's idea.

Would love to be there to see it happen. I reckon it wouldn't take much more than 5 minutes of standing by the side of the road before the first thief came to snatch the bag. then BOOM! hahahahahahahahahahahaah, I shouldn't laugh, really I shouldn't hahahahahahahah! :)