Weapons Of Self Defense?

thesyndicate

What kind of weapons can you have for self defense in Thailand? I seen people running around with knifes and machetes can you have that in your car or motorbike? I guess nobody can stop you in your home from having all these kind of things.

How about teargas? Or the new batons the Police use the one that fold up. It is just a iron pipe basically. I read somewhere you need a licens for even having bullet proof west? Not that i need one but you never know...

Employ Chuck Norris as your house maid.

Yes in the west you need a licence to own a bullet resistant vest, In Australia they fall under a weapon classification, lots of stab vests (no licence needed) will stop small arms (.22) though.... maybe look into them.

Edited by Spoonman

I think you need to get some upper body armor Slaps.

But the young shop assistants love it

And if I wear my vest with ammo and grenades attached I can't get through the door

:)

Right but i prefer keep it legal if my bike car is searched on a stop along when i travel.

Look Mate, no copper here is going to say anything about whats in your car, baseball bat, large hammer whatever

But the best advise is don't get in that situation, you will lose, one on one, OK, one on two maybe, but it don't work like that here, you will have many on you, they just appear, that's how they do it here, there cowards

Smile :) and live to tell your mates about it

:D

Owning weapons in Thailand is illegal, even for self-defence reasons. My friend got 24 years in jail just for carrying a sharpened toothpick.

Instead I have ways of protecting myself against hostile persons who may try and use a weapon against me.

This is me out shopping on my motorbike during a Red Shirt demonstration:

post-96287-1271334714_thumb.jpg

Hi “thesyndicate”

Two things you need to consider when thinking about “tooling-up” first thing you need to be clear about; (bullshit aside) is the weapon you’ll carry for show or to use? If for show, leave it at home, if the person/people you trying to scare off call your bluff and you don’t have the will to use it..... They will beat the shit outta you with your own weapon, very embarrassing, possibly fatal! Secondly if you do intend to use it........... Chances are ......You won’t, it actually takes a certain type of person (sober) to follow through in using a weapon, believe it or not, even in self defense, most untrained people under attack ether try and get away or block the attackers blows. Reading your post.... You ant no Vin Diesel leave the weapons at home. Your more likely to get injured as a result of carry a weapon than not.

you can ask that SWAT wannabee in Pattaya, I think his name was seafood...

for me, i keep a few wrenches - some upstairs, in the car, and a smaller one in the

bike, also a few hunting knives strategically placed.

especially when you consider that aussie guy macheted to death, makes you think,

its time to have some weapons with you.

I bought a second hand car a couple of years ago here - under the passenger seat was a 18 inch machete! Can just see it, "No Officer, I keep that there in case I need to cut my toe nails in an emergency". Nice to know it had been well valeted too.

I don't carry weapon, I carry my brain instead. Not easy for my opposition to man handle it away and use it against me. I have always been able to talk myself out of trouble - here a joke is best and/or an apology (if it was my fault or an accident) - if it was their fault and intentional (never actually had that here!), still easier to walk away or embarrass out of violence them with a joke. Once had a drunk Thai guy stand up and screaming at me for no other reason than I was there - I waited with a bemused smile and them blew him a kiss - his mates rolled up and made him sit down. No harm done.

Right but i prefer keep it legal if my bike car is searched on a stop along when i travel.

have a small toolbox, you know the wraper kind, with a screwdriver, small wrench, crowbar,

keep it on the floor in the backseat, nothing illegal about a few tools for the car. same for

the bike. at home, have bigger versions of the above.

A golf club. Very handy tool. Innocuous enough. And a golf ball or two. If stopped you can say you left them there after a bit of putting.

Have to be a putter then - even a BiB will not believe you were putting with a driver or 7-iron :) .

A golf club. Very handy tool. Innocuous enough. And a golf ball or two. If stopped you can say you left them there after a bit of putting.

Have to be a putter then - even a BiB will not believe you were putting with a driver or 7-iron :D .

The BiB play golf? Whatever next. :)

17624-1.jpg

Just a few tools i have in the garden shed (please note the chain saw and circular saw in the bottom left of photo for special occasions)

Or if someone really pisses me of i just send the gf round :):D :D

Seriously,be careful what you carry and use,these days the attacker or offender seem to have more rights than the victim!

Hi “thesyndicate”

Two things you need to consider when thinking about “tooling-up” first thing you need to be clear about; (bullshit aside) is the weapon you’ll carry for show or to use? If for show, leave it at home, if the person/people you trying to scare off call your bluff and you don’t have the will to use it..... They will beat the shit outta you with your own weapon, very embarrassing, possibly fatal! Secondly if you do intend to use it........... Chances are ......You won’t, it actually takes a certain type of person (sober) to follow through in using a weapon, believe it or not, even in self defense, most untrained people under attack ether try and get away or block the attackers blows. Reading your post.... You ant no Vin Diesel leave the weapons at home. Your more likely to get injured as a result of carry a weapon than not.

Agreed (though I have no idea if you're Vin Diesel or not!). Having some experience of the darker side of life, I can tell you from that experience that there is a good chance that unless you are prepared to use what you carry to completely disable someone, you'll end up losing and often having it used against you. Of course Im talking generally but many people don't baulk at the sight of a weapon, especially when they can sniff you can't use it and it's all in your eyes and stance. Even if you can, 'fighting fire with fire' isn't the answer IMO, it just raises the stakes - ok if you can handle it, but if not....And my own personal thinking is that I am not prepared to take the risk of killing or maiming someone, especially by mistake. There's less chance of you being hurt badly than of something escalating to a point of no return and the 'red mist' taking over. Tear gas combined with good running skills maybe, but thats at a push and you have to decide for yourself. Best defense - if its available - is never being too proud to run.

17624-1.jpg

Just a few tools i have in the garden shed (please note the chain saw and circular saw in the bottom left of photo for special occasions)

Or if someone really pisses me of i just send the gf round :):D :D

Seriously,be careful what you carry and use,these days the attacker or offender seem to have more rights than the victim!

Since they are in 1:24 scale, how do you get your fingers in to reach the trigger?

Edited by TAWP

This aussi guy and rocks thrown at cars and such does make me think. Next year when i'm driving south with my familly , chiang mai, through central to surrathani, i'm for sure gettin tooled up. With 2 kids in the car and wife you can't just run away or try to talk your way out of it. If some ones put a rock through my windscreen i'm thinking they could be ready to rape my missus or steal my children, i'm ready to stand an fight or die, trying no hesitation.

My missus reckons a thai can be licenced with a fire arm and if your attacked you can legally shoot some one, i'll check if thats the case then i'll get her one if true and keep under my seat, locked in a case but handy; if not a mashety/ big knife is definately legal no troubles, people use em for cut bamboo and coconut, fruit etc, perfectly legit

I recently bought a walking stick where i can unscrew it at the handle and it unsheethes in to a good 20+inch blade , no one ever tell by looking at it; i got this for keep in case of trouble when on camping/ caravan tours round europe but so old bill be non the wiser.

Agree if you do get out a wepeon you need to use it, but if your in a life or death situation then it's good to have one; i'm not mean just for carry to act like a big man, but for real need.

With the financial crash we came to the edge of the whole financial system collapsing, money becoming meaningless, if that happenned i'd want firearms, weapons and food in my yard to sit out/protect familly from the ensuing mayhem. it could happen still, just like thailand could decend in to chaos; hope it never happens, but those who are prepared will be better off.

This aussi guy and rocks thrown at cars and such does make me think. Next year when i'm driving south with my familly , chiang mai, through central to surrathani, i'm for sure gettin tooled up. With 2 kids in the car and wife you can't just run away or try to talk your way out of it. If some ones put a rock through my windscreen i'm thinking they could be ready to rape my missus or steal my children, i'm ready to stand an fight or die, trying no hesitation.

My missus reckons a thai can be licenced with a fire arm and if your attacked you can legally shoot some one, i'll check if thats the case then i'll get her one if true and keep under my seat, locked in a case but handy; if not a mashety/ big knife is definately legal no troubles, people use em for cut bamboo and coconut, fruit etc, perfectly legit

I recently bought a walking stick where i can unscrew it at the handle and it unsheethes in to a good 20+inch blade , no one ever tell by looking at it; i got this for keep in case of trouble when on camping/ caravan tours round europe but so old bill be non the wiser.

Agree if you do get out a wepeon you need to use it, but if your in a life or death situation then it's good to have one; i'm not mean just for carry to act like a big man, but for real need.

With the financial crash we came to the edge of the whole financial system collapsing, money becoming meaningless, if that happenned i'd want firearms, weapons and food in my yard to sit out/protect familly from the ensuing mayhem. it could happen still, just like thailand could decend in to chaos; hope it never happens, but those who are prepared will be better off.

I think you need a license to carry a gun to have it in your car legally. It's a much more difficult license to get then having a gun at home. I think a friend of mine gets around this problem by keeping his in the case when he goes to the shooting range. It's going to be a bit inconvenient in a life and death situation.

Best regards,

Roy

Firearm + young children = Heartache. Sorry, but if you have kids, you should not have a firearm in close proximity.

Unless one is trained in the use of a side arm, forget about it. It takes a considerable amount of training to keep from being disarmed, or in being able to unholster the weapon and shoot the actual target. Unfortunately, it is why more often than not people that attempt to use a firearm under stressful situations often end up shot or injured. One need only look at police officers that use their weapons. Bullets can fly everywhere and there can be unintended injuries. All you need to do is have a bullet ricochet and hit a bystander and off you go to jail.

As stated in other posts, a functioning brain is the best defence. Smile, talk your way out of it or flee. If there is a Thai wife or girlfriend, she will probably be the best defence. Would you carry a weapon in your homeland? If not, why? Is it because you avoid dangerous areas? Is it because you are confident enough to escape in the event of a situation? If so, then the same procedures should apply in Thailand. Although there is violence here, it is not the wild west and for the most part we live and travel in safety.