Jeep Cherokee

I need to buy a second car primarily for her indoors and have seen quite a few ads selling Jeep Cherokee's typically around 3/4 years old for anywhere between 500,000 - 700,000 baht.

My question is how reliable are these cars? I would assume given the model has been around since the year dot, that they are pretty reliable and of course robust. Need it to go between our homes in Pattaya Bangkok and for her to go up to Udon Thani every now and again.

Its a 4litre petrol model which presumably drinks gas but overall, with her low mileage and tendancy to be erratic behind the wheel of a vehicle, i'd rather get something like this than say a new Honda Jazz. I assume they come fully loaded with electric everything. Given they were selling them at about 1.4m baht new couple of years back - it seems to be a good buy and I guess its easier to drive than a pick up which she is not at all keen on.

If anyone has any insight into this car from personal experience it would be very handy.

They have dropped in popularity in the Thai market because of the gas guzzling. Many Thais have switched to other types/brands etc.

Because of low demand from the Thai market its reflected in 2nd hand price.

A friend of mine has a Grand? Cherokee and is quite happy with it. Probably eats the gas too.

If you are not worried about it holding its price then keep in mind the following:

most cars assembled in Thailand have flimsier bodywork

get something that the average mechanic knows how to fix

check spare parts easily available.

I have a Nissan Pathfinder - bought in Thailand but made in Japan, built like a tank!

If all else fails get a pickup truck rather than a car - much safer.

For 700k you could do a lot better.

The car was slated off badly by the UK press for its crappy interior.

The engine is old tech and as you say drinks petrol.

I would prefer a Sport Rider.

Don't forget the high price tag on the Jeep is because of import duties not because it is better quality

Edited by Thetyim

If she doesn't like driving a pickup, she won't like a Cherokee, either. Basically little, if any, difference between a cherokee, and a new Isuzu truck for driving. The Isuzu has power steering/windows and auto tranny, too

I also wanted a Cherokee when I was shopping for a vehicle. I drove the Cherokee and the new Isuzu D-max.... I preferred driving the D-max, and bought that for about 800,000 baht..

Plus, that 3-4 year old Cherokee is going to need more maintenance and fixing now... Unlike the new Isuzu, it won't be free, either.

I would have thought something like a second hand CR-V would fit the bill nicely.

Good all-round car, easy-to-drive, reliable (ignore the crap about sedgehammers etc...), not too big or "pick-up like" and certainly better mileage than the Jeep.

Rags

Too expensive to run in my opinion, hence the low second hand price.

17/18 mpg is not a cheap car to run.

I think spare parts may be another problem too.

I think I would go for a 4 door sport rider as previously suggested. :o

The first thing that comes to my mind is that these things are very powerful, and with respect, putting them in the hands of possibly not very experienced drivers might not be such a good idea, they do drink gas and if anything goes wrong with transmission , which I have heard of with UK non off road users , they are VERY expensive to fix.

My Guvnor used to have one that I occasionally drove round UK, my sister had a Grand Cherokee she traded for a BMW SUV.

But nice to drive, being relatively high up (unlike a pickuptruck) and with the above qualifications I would love to have one.

Edited by spacebass

If all else fails get a pickup truck rather than a car - much safer.

Actually this is a bit of a fallacy..

In any accident between a car and a pickup or SUV, the pickup will of course, come off better.

However, monocoque designs generally have far better crumple zones than the ladder chassis common in pickups/suvs, so in terms of going off the road and hitting a tree, the car is actually safer... (cars also tend to have far more airbags. Pickups might have one for the driver).

Add in the higher possibility of a rollover, and you're more likely to die in a pickups/suv than in a normal car. (Although I will admit the statistics on that come from the States where they also found that pickup/SUV drivers were far less likely to wear their seatbelts, and also more likely to drive after drinking).

Hi Digger,

Have a look at :-

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Jeep_Cherokee.html

There are 416 reviews by owners. Interesting read, on any model.

The Cherokee made in Thailand was the 4 cylinder 2500cc petrol. The 4.0 is a straight six and is imported, although the values are roughly the same. No diesels here, sadly. There is very little difference in economy between the 2.5 and the 4.0.

I have seen some nice 1998 Jeeps under well under 300,000.

Although perhaps not the most "practical" choice, it is nice to drive something a bit different (ie not Japanese).

"sounds like the Honda CRV is the way to go and despite seeing tons of them everyday"

- you see what I mean !

Cheers,

INTJ

I had a late model jeep cherokee for a few weeks (friends one)

was the WORST thing I have ever driven and would not recommend it to anyone.

Handling was poor and fuel consumption was very high

Everytime I see a Jeep owner now I feel sorry for them..