Do Thai Men Pay Sinsot For Farang Wife?

Livinginexile

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting question. My wild guess would be no, because the bride's family wouldn't be expecting it. I think some families would even be insulted by it, unless it was presented as helping to pay for the wedding. But, I would love to hear from people who have firsthand experience or knowledge. :)

how many western women are there that marry thai men?

i saw one about a year ago, she was old, wrinkled and covered in

tattoos, she was riding the bitch position on the bike, and he didnt

look much better either.

i doubt they had enough money for the gas, let alone the sinsod.

While asking my Thai boyfriend this question he told me that sinsod is and agreement based by situation. He said nowadays is either for rural families without very much income, or hi-so familys that are trying to prove something to someone..for whatever reason..i guess to show off...

While asking my Thai boyfriend this question he told me that sinsod is and agreement based by situation. He said nowadays is either for rural families without very much income, or hi-so familys that are trying to prove something to someone..for whatever reason..i guess to show off...

sinsod seems to be expected for isaan girls, god bless their wonderful souls, is your bf

from that part of thailand?

I am sure Thai men are the same as all others. Why pay for it? I will not get into it but it depends on the one recieving the money as to who finds it important and a necessary custom.

The man is going to give his money away one way or another. We can't help it.

We never had a wedding party so never got sin sod but it will be presented if/when we ever get round to it. We married at the amphur 7 years ago though so doubt we will bother now.

what was so small rolleyes.gif Thats a nasty rumour about Thai men,

That's right, only a rumour IME :)

But lets not go down that road as it has nothing to do with the op & I might just have to start questioning how many thai penises you have actually seen or had to be such an expert :D

I saw a Thai fella with a farang girl yesterday. He looked like the typical musician or artist that I normallly see with farang girls. I expect it would be too much for a Chinese-Thai family to accept a farang girl as a daughter?

My sister went out with a Thai bass player that she met in Mae Hong Son for a year until his girlfriend punched her in the head and told her to leave Thai men to Thai women and go and find herself a white man.

Edited by kurnell

I know western women married or in LTR with thai men from all aspects of thai society. Thai-chinese, are they the benchmark? :) Dunno but I know a couple with thai men from very wealthy thai families with western wives & it doesn't seem to be an issue. It's down tot he individuals & the families involved, not everyone has a problem with foreign spouses.

:) and it seems some posters just cannot help themselves. So, before we start down THAT path, a brief reminder of the rules as well as to recall that your mother taught you good manners. Use them.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Thailand's golden couple, tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan and former Miss Universe Natalie Glebova, tied the knot in 2007.

He gave 200 million Baht SinSod.....plus a 3ct diamond ring and a diamond studded necklace

post-24220-1271387819_thumb.jpg

Edited by JRinger

:)

Good one Mr Exile

Maybe we should ask how many thai men are considered walking ATM's by farang women??

C'mon, this must be a gee-up?

We know whats good for thai is not (and never will be) good for the farang, especially where money is concerned

Anyway, good to see the return of the good ol' sinsod thread after all the depressing news of late :D:D

edit: good find JRinger!! She ddefinately aint from Isaan

Edited by ozzieovaseas

I have a daughter in the military. I have a friend who is a Thai colonel in an airborne division. He offered me a used BMW, farm and two hundred head of cattle. Said he would take care of me when I got old. We didn’t discuss the gold.

I thought it was a good deal. But my daughter said the guy was too old for her and made some comments about my sanity. He was only 20 years older than her, not bad by my standards.

It was difficult for me to make the colonel understand that I couldn’t make my daughter marry him.

I thought it was a good deal having seen some of my daughters other boyfriends while she was growing up.

I have two other married daughters. One married a pharmacist from a rich family with fantastic academic qualifications. The other married a Canadian guy who drank too much, played hockey and worked at a paper mill.

The pharmacist turned into a druggie, got arrested and she is now getting a divorce. The Canadian sobered up, built her a large home with his own hands, turned into a factory manager and magnificent father who loves his four boys who are all great hockey players. Who the heck knows.

The BMW and 200 head of cattle still seems like a good deal to me.

I didn't pay sinsod for my Thai wife. She actually hates the tradition. She said "I'm not a thing to be bought and sold." If your girlfriend really loves you, she will live with you regardless. If she refuse to be with you on the basis that you don't or coudn't pay the sinsod, she isn't really worth it. Now, if it's the family that wouldn't let her go, that means the family has a lot of influence over her life. They are likely to continue having such influence over her life ever after you're married to her and you would be in the middle of it. It could be a good or bad thing. Now, if the girl herself refuses to be with you on this basis, let me tell you something. Thai girls are not that old fashioned and they are quite flexible in this respect. If your girlfriend really loves you, she wouldn't let the tradition(money) stand in the way.

Best regards,

Roy

Roy, I think you may be running a bit off topic here. The question was regarding Thai men and farang women and SinSod.

There's enough, in fact, loads of "I agree and don't agree about sinsod" within the forum on other pages. But as a note: Both you and your Thai wife don't seem to have much respect for or understand Thai tradition...if in fact, your/her statement is true (seems highly unlikely that statement in quotes coming from a Thai girl), and whether you want to believe it or not....most Thai families do have a lot of influence on their children..and Thai children have more respect for their parents than those in the west....but congratulations to you for beating the system (tradition).

Sorry, just got carried away. Back to the topic, I have a few Thai friends living with farang women and no, they didn't pay the Sinsod. Believe me, Thai men would avoid this tradition if possible even when getting married to Thai women.

Best regards,

Roy

My sister is married to a Thai guy. His family didn't pay sinsot though she was given about 20 baht in gold and a gold plated Tag Huer watch as part of the ceremony. His family also paid for the wedding held in Thailand, while the two of them paid for the Aussie ceremony themselves.

As ihunnieibee' said it seems to be a status symbol used by the very poor or the very rich.

I gave my wife 10 baht in gold for our wedding ceremony and the two of us raised another 500k or so for the wedding itself. This money was shown to the guests as sinsot during the ritual but was quickly whisked away and used to pay the hotel.

On a side note we made more than that back from the various guest's contributions... :-)

Roy, I think you may be running a bit off topic here. The question was regarding Thai men and farang women and SinSod.

There's enough, in fact, loads of "I agree and don't agree about sinsod" within the forum on other pages. But as a note: Both you and your Thai wife don't seem to have much respect for or understand Thai tradition...if in fact, your/her statement is true (seems highly unlikely that statement in quotes coming from a Thai girl), and whether you want to believe it or not....most Thai families do have a lot of influence on their children..and Thai children have more respect for their parents than those in the west....but congratulations to you for beating the system (tradition).

Sorry, just got carried away. Back to the topic, I have a few Thai friends living with farang women and no, they didn't pay the Sinsod. Believe me, Thai men would avoid this tradition if possible even when getting married to Thai women.

Best regards,

Roy

I don't know how long you've been living in Thailand or if you live in the city, but after nearly 25 years of living here I have never, ever seen a Thai man try to avoid this tradition.....

In Thailand you pay before you move in. In the west you pay after you move out. And pay, and pay, and pay… Different customs with similar results. :)

well balanced food for thought, presented in just a few lines. thank you for your observation

Sinsod is a scam

My Nephew paid sinsod up the wazoo for his now wife

Ever since every time he sees his wife's family he gets hit

up for more money

Cut it off early and just day no

My three favorite words in Thailand

"Farang no money"

Sinsod is a scam ... "Farang no money"

If you think sinsod is only payable by farang men then you may have missed something.

It's not some kind of tradition put on to acquire more money out of farangs...

Another way of looking at this:

We pay for my wife's sister to go to uni, we paid for her to study over seas, i pay her mobile phone bills and her school texts etc. This isn't my responsibility because I'm white. It's my responsibility because we are the eldest siblings in the family.

When my wife's parents pass away and move on then the family houses, land and money etc will also become ours to manage. More recently; the deposit on my newest car was gifted by my wife's family

Obviously in poorer families the pre-payment of sinsod may out way the advantages of inheritance witnessed in wealthier families; but i think you'll find it comes from the same original concepts of family unity etc.