Red Shirt Leaders Flee As Thai Forces Surround Hotel

webfact

Hey I got a question..

Some news articles say there was as many as 30,000 + reds in town a few days ago..

but, now they say there are only 3,000-4,000.

Is this true? did so many really leave, and, if so - why?

to enjoy Songkran with their families?

Perhaps this is why they were being moved on by Police (because they are currently low in numbers)

So, what is the deal?

Are the reds waiting for more of their people to come back into town or is nobody else coming?

I'm just interested in hearing from someone who knows these sort of details.

If there is only 3 or 4K they should get 50 000 troops

Move in and retake the area

Move in armed to the hilts ... see a red with a weapon

shot him or her on the spot!! We know reds do not play

fair ...

We all know this has no happy ending ... git'er done

Incredible .... Fascisme

Well Jerry, what do you call the Red leadership, Freedom Fighters, Maoist , Nationalists, Democrats, Republicans, Globalists, Terrorists, or maybe even Fascists?

You seem to like to like name calling... so give the Red leaders a name.

Like you, I don't want to see blood, but I don't think that it's a concern of the Red Shirt leaders. So maybe they are capitalists or totalitarian demagogues spewing out inane babble to the resounding response of foot clappers? And it could be they are just well paid. Got an answer? I'm sure you respect the Red leaders intellect.

Something is going to go down here... and it's going to be ugly.

Hummy

(not geared at any one person)

Not that I mind the color commentary - but, could someone perhaps respond to the request for details about the red numbers?

Everyone seems way more interested in giving their opinion then getting details :)

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Yes elcent I did expect it, but you need to stop thinking Thailand works the same way as in most western countries. It does not. This was merely a staged event simply because the BIB and military want no part of this. Can you honestly say with a straight face that those given this task were serious on capturing the reds present? :)

Yes, this was a serious attempt to arrest.

My guess is that you haven't seen a crackdown in Thailand yet and I hope you never will. There are certain fraction in the army not actively involved yet. Last time the swarmed out on motorbikes, heavy armed after curfew imposed.

Hey I got a question..

Some news articles say there was as many as 30,000 + reds in town a few days ago..

Perhaps this is why they were being moved on by Police (because they are currently low in numbers)

So, what is the deal?

Are the reds waiting for more of their people to come back into town or is nobody else coming?

fair ...

Incredible .... Fascisme

Well Jerry, what do you call the Red leadership, Freedom Fighters, Maoist , Nationalists, Democrats, Republicans, Globalists, Terrorists, or maybe even Fascists?

You seem to like to like name calling... so give the Red leaders a name.

Like you, I don't want to see blood, but I don't think that it's a concern of the Red Shirt leaders. So maybe they are capitalists or totalitarian demagogues spewing out inane babble to the resounding response of foot clappers? And it could be they are just well paid. Got an answer? I'm sure you respect the Red leaders intellect.

Something is going to go down here... and it's going to be ugly.

Hummy

Red Shirts are engaged in battle for more justice. It takes different expressions depending on their Education. The poor level of education of some is mainly the result of the Opressing Elite who want to maintain his privileges. Revolutions start like that. Failure to understand the dangerosity of the situation and make the required concessions will be very expansive for Thailand. Stubbordiness ...they do not understand they have to make some concessions to avoid the worse.

Abhisit is not a big stateman: he does not understand the situation.

We are living at an accelerated speed a re-make of the Spanish years 1933-1936.... Behavior in the modern world have to be different from what was accepted under the feudal regime.

I do believe Thailand is living the emancipation from the feudal system, we are in the first steps of the process.... It will cost blood and will not be peaceful unfortunately.

Some Leaders in the world have succeeded to pass through such crisis and modernize their society. The blockages are obvious in Thailand today.

May I just remind all of you, that TOURISM, is the #1 industry in Thailand... responsible for more jobs than any other sector of the economy.

Killing Tourism is like Killing the Golden Goose.....

Up2U

CS

Tourism is certainly an important job provider, but Thailand is now an industrial Country, more income from automotive, electrics/electronics Industries Tourism weights now around 7% or 8% only.

Not Correct.... Better check your facts.

Tourism is Still #1... by a long shot.

CS

Ever heard of agriculture? Doh!

Hey I got a question..

So, what is the deal?

fair ...

Incredible .... Fascisme

You said the right word for it.

Isn't it a bit odd that all or most of the Red Shirt / Thaksin supporters here are new forum members ??? :)

I have often considerd that certain "senior type" members of this forum consider it to be their own private club. One in wich only their views matter and new posters are not welcomed. Sadly, you have just confirmed my suspicion.

^well been an influx of new people on both sides. There opinions hold the same weight as any other person posting. Not surprising since this is a news worthy event. Not every day you see a govt slowly fall to pieces from a mass protest movement.

the SC Park Hotel

http://www.scparkhotel.com/

this hotel is known to be owned by the fugitive Thaksin

it should be closed forthwith for harbouring wanted fugitives

if they refuse to close then cut the power, water supplies, revoke all the drink, dining and dancing licenses and arrest the management for aiding and abetting fugitives

send the staff home on full pay at the hotels expense

this is a message that should be relayed to all other hotels anywhere in the kingdom, that accept red shirts under arrest warrant as hotel guests

if the red leaders want to be at one with their red brethren then let them sleep on the floor in the street with them instead of bunking up in a 4* hotel

Agree - a clear message now is necessary - Takki Shinega aka Thaksin Shinawatra is now Thailand's Osama Bin Laden. He is financing terrorists, using his 'assets' in his fight and now has acts of murder, kidnapping, complete disregard for law and order and Thailand at large all 62M of them are fed up to the back teeth with this narcissist sociopath.

Time for Interpol to step in and arrest him for what he is - a terrorist of the worst order. :)

Woah there boy, do I detect a spot of paranoia?

This is the same reds that threw and hit media with bricks and ran them off from their site just 2 days ago?

:D

...and murdered a press photographer, if I remember correctly.

Took out by a rogue thai military sniper. :)

You got the proof of that statement I am sure

If not, we will just assume it is another one of your moronic

based on nothing one liners

It is a Christian statement somewhere in the Evangiles that if we are fortunate and have been given more quality, intelligence, wealth... we have de facto more responsabilities toward the Poors. The Elite, because they are received a good education, they are wealthy should be more comprehensive and have the responsabilty to find the solution to this crisis.

Well educated .....More Responsible.

It's hard to label the red movement because they have included so many seemingly contradictory elements. If they win, you truly do not know what you will get. Except the obvious of course, power shifted to the red terror leadership group led by Thaksin, the constitution changed (or much more), Thaksin getting what he wants as far as cleared charges and his ill gotten filthy lucre back. Perhaps simply BAD NEWS may do for the time being.

Hope that he can get what he wants ONLY when he becomes bones and never return in the flesh! :)

^Yes elcent I did expect it, but you need to stop thinking Thailand works the same way as in most western countries. It does not. This was merely a staged event simply because the BIB and military want no part of this. Can you honestly say with a straight face that those given this task were serious on capturing the reds present? :)

Yes, this was a serious attempt to arrest.

My guess is that you haven't seen a crackdown in Thailand yet and I hope you never will. There are certain fraction in the army not actively involved yet. Last time the swarmed out on motorbikes, heavy armed after curfew imposed.

Serious attempt to arrest? No way. It was staged like a bad Thai soap opera. Arisman 'narrowly' escaping by using a cord to be lowered to a hoard of red shirts who just happened to turn up at the right time? And then the police agreeing to hand over weapons and accompany the reds back to the stage at Rajprasong? I can't believe anyone thinks this was for real. If the police had really wanted to capture 4 or 5 men in a hotel, they surely would have been in and out in 5 minutes in a pre-dawn raid.

Red Shirts are engaged in battle for more justice. It takes different expressions depending on their Education. The poor level of education of some is mainly the result of the Opressing Elite who want to maintain his privileges. Revolutions start like that. Failure to understand the dangerosity of the situation and make the required concessions will be very expansive for Thailand. Stubbordiness ...they do not understand they have to make some concessions to avoid the worse.

We are living at an accelerated speed a re-make of the Spanish years 1933-1936.... Behavior in the modern world have to be different from what was accepted under the feudal regime.

I do believe Thailand is living the emancipation from the feudal system, we are in the first steps of the process.... It will cost blood and will not be peaceful unfortunately.

Some Leaders in the world have succeeded to pass through such crisis and modernize their society. The blockages are obvious in Thailand today.

Unfortunately the only justice the reds are fighting for is the 'justice' for Thaksin the paymaster.

Talking of the Spanish Civil War, which I suspect you know very little, one of the key aspects was the Stalinist execution of members of their own side while supposedly fighting the other side.

Ring any bells?

To suggest that Thailand in 2010 is really the European 1930s in drag is not only crass, it also means that you understand nothing of the laws of uneven and combined development.

Going backwards may be a nice personal hobby for you, but the red cheerleaders mostly only go back to the reign of Thaksin and his subsequent exile.

Back to your history essay.

Edited by yoshiwara

Isn't it a bit odd that all or most of the Red Shirt / Thaksin supporters here are new forum members ??? :)

Yes, I noticed that. All except Britmaveric and Rainman are newbies, and Rainman hasn't posted on the News forum for weeks - perhaps wondering how he could be so wrong so often in previous posts.

But what else can you expect? The government keeps suppressing the web sites of democracy supporters and now we've got nowhere else to go except cuddle up to you yellow shirt/elite supporters. Just move up a tad will you, it's getting rather crowded in here.

Why would very many of us Red supporters hang out at a newspaper's forum site that posts articles like this....currently the number 1 story in the pictures at the top of the main page...note the happy, happy joy joy music in the video:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/...b-30127267.html

We're not allowed to quote ANY other news source or link to ANY other news source. :D

Edited by FreedomDude

Just saw this tweeted, from the UDD's Twitter account red_phan_fa_2day:

Media alert: We have just received credible reports of a military action being planned against #redshirts protesters in Ratchaprasong 2nite

No idea how credible this is, but who knows....

This is from the red facebook:

'There are threat of another attempt at dispersing the crowd and assasination of UDD leaders tonight.

Evidences are:

1. Many ambulances around Rajaprasong this evening eventhough there are many hospitals in the area.

2. Intelligence report says that weapons are being transported via Sansaeb Canal.

3. Extra war weap...ons are being brought in from Prachinburi ETA 10 pm at Bangsue.

4. Police Sources report that snipers are being placed on roof tops at Rajaprasong.

5. Soldiers are instructed to wear combat uniforms this evening.

6. Trucks with Amplifiers are being prepared.

7. Chinook Helicopters are being prepared, possibly to transport captured people.

8. Military Barrack at Hatyai is being prepared for a prison camp.'

So much for the red intelligence.

Army watermelons vs. Police tomatoes

edit: but just now they say:

The military whisper is that there will not be a dispersal tonight, but a big unit disguise as Reds move their force into a temple to probe and intimidate the real Reds.

there intelligence doesn't seem to be as trustworthy as they thought it seems :)

Edited by khaosarnbuddy

Unfortunately the only justice the reds are fighting for is the 'justice' for Thaksin the paymaster.

Talking of the Spanish Civil War, which I suspect you know very little, one of the key aspects was the Stalinist execution of members of their own side while supposedly fighting the other side.

Ring any bells?

To suggest that Thailand in 2010 is really the European 1930s in drag is not only crass, it also means that you understand nothing of the laws of uneven and combined development.

Going backwards may be a nice personal hobby for you, but the red cheerleaders mostly only go back to the reign of Thaksin and his subsequent exile.

That's a very silly thing to say don't you think?

Mind you, many of those saying that a major part of this ruckus 'isn't about Thaksin' are correct to precisely the same extent that it's correct to say that the American Civil War wasn't about Slavery.

Hey I got a question..

So, what is the deal?

what was said is that there where as many as 30,000+ reds in town a few days ago but now there

are 3,000 - 4000 LESS, in other words 26 - 27,000 reds still here

False.

Tourism is 4th as a percentage of GDP (6%)behind

Automobiles and Automotive parts (11%), Financial Services (9%), Electric appliances and components (8%).

However it is all intertwined. You kill tourism, investment confidence will take a massive hit, which would affect financial services, industrial investment and output, etc.

Now, let's study numbers in Thailand. I suppose some people here think that nobody is oppressed, right? Seems like I see a few people making that claim. I suppose that if they are not on chains, they are not oppressed? Growing 100KG of rice for 400baht, no oppression? Having to sell the loto to make a living, no oppressed? Going to get a higher education to get paid $10K THB a month, not oppressed? Having to send their daughters to the big city to make ends meet, not oppression? Having to see old, fat farangs with some money as 'economic opportunities', not oppression? Having to drink 10 to 20 shots a night in order to make money, no oppression? Having to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for 8-9K THB cleaning rooms at a 5 star hotel, no oppression? Having to pay the police in order to sell your trinkets on the street, no oppression?

Heck no, after all the government claims that Thailand has an unemployment rate of 1.5%!! That's lower than Japan, lower than any industrialized country in the world! Why are they so unhappy if they are all gainfully employed and making a good living!!! Yeah! What shallow, self serving vision of the world you must have if you think that people making LESS than 4,000 baht a month working the farm should not feel oppressed. Go read a little bit about all the class and rural upheavals in the history of the world and you will see all the same patterns.

May be I should be asking the question - what do you think is oppression to you, aside from being on chains?

Oh my ... where do I begin?

The situations you describe do not exemplify OPPRESSION. Yes, it is possible that these situations may arise as a result of being oppressed, but not necessarily by the government. But, more than likely, they are consequences of either life choices that they had made earlier on in life or circumstances that are beyond the government's control (especially this government that is less than 2 years old). Furthermore, other than the 10K/mo uni grad, many of these people you describe may simply be UNEDUCATED. There is a BIG difference between being oppressed and being uneducated. As far as I can gather, Thai citizens are given the opportunity to go to school. Sure, the Thai educational system is in dire need of reform. But this fact remains -- many students, poor or rich, rural or urban, do succeed and are able to eventually afford more of what the modern world has to offer. Then again, many don't. That's just a fact of life. It happens in every country.

As a teacher, I have taught students from all walks of life, rich and poor, intelligent and not-so-intelligent, ambitious and downright lazy.

Yes, compared to the U.S., it is much more difficult for a child from a poor Thai family to succeed in school and go on to a fulfilling career, no matter how intelligent and ambitious that he/she may be. However, it is NOT impossible. There are no cruel laws or government policies that are intended to isolate any specific group of Thai citizens, such as the "rural poor", and prevent them from getting an education. It is unfortunate that there are many intelligent Thai children whose families feel they have no choice and stop sending their children to school early so they can help support their families. But, in many cases, the reality is they do have a choice.

I have met many Thais from rural poor families that made the right choice. Mothers and fathers made the necessary sacrifices to allow their children to take advantage of the educational opportunities that are available. Just out of college, many of them started out making about 8K-10K/mo but are now making a respectable 15K to 20K/mo, of which half goes home to help support their families.

This brings me to your "oppressed" 10K/mo uni grad. What's wrong with 10K/mo!?! Your perception that 10K/mo is not enough is based on what standard? Of course by western standards 10K/mo just won't cut it -- in the west. But 10K/mo is sufficient to start off a reasonable, Thai-style life. Sure, it may not be enough to afford a person all the "luxuries" of the modern world, but luxuries are just that: luxuries. They are not necessities. Unfortunately, many Thais are quite materialistic and brand-conscious so they end up blowing an entire month's salary on a smart phone or Gucci handbag. But that, in no way, shape, or form, constitutes oppression.

May I just remind all of you, that TOURISM, is the #1 industry in Thailand... responsible for more jobs than any other sector of the economy.

Killing Tourism is like Killing the Golden Goose.....

Up2U

CS

Tourism is certainly an important job provider, but Thailand is now an industrial Country, more income from automotive, electrics/electronics Industries Tourism weights now around 7% or 8% only.

Not Correct.... Better check your facts.

Tourism is Still #1... by a long shot.

The word "clueless" springs to mind

CS

The word "clueless" springs to mind.

Edited by rufanuf

Ring any bells?

Except repeating endlessy "Thaksinist", 'cheerleaders... your vocabulary is limited. You repeat yourself at nearly every post with little variance. You are a stubborn partisan and it is of no interest to discuss with you because you are fully locked in your (very) limited ideology. Continue to protect the wealth of your Elite. Bye

False.

Tourism is 4th as a percentage of GDP (6%)behind

Automobiles and Automotive parts (11%), Financial Services (9%), Electric appliances and components (8%).

However it is all intertwined. You kill tourism, investment confidence will take a massive hit, which would affect financial services, industrial investment and output, etc.

Now, let's study numbers in Thailand. I suppose some people here think that nobody is oppressed, right? Seems like I see a few people making that claim. I suppose that if they are not on chains, they are not oppressed? Growing 100KG of rice for 400baht, no oppression? Having to sell the loto to make a living, no oppressed? Going to get a higher education to get paid $10K THB a month, not oppressed? Having to send their daughters to the big city to make ends meet, not oppression? Having to see old, fat farangs with some money as 'economic opportunities', not oppression? Having to drink 10 to 20 shots a night in order to make money, no oppression? Having to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for 8-9K THB cleaning rooms at a 5 star hotel, no oppression? Having to pay the police in order to sell your trinkets on the street, no oppression?

Heck no, after all the government claims that Thailand has an unemployment rate of 1.5%!! That's lower than Japan, lower than any industrialized country in the world! Why are they so unhappy if they are all gainfully employed and making a good living!!! Yeah! What shallow, self serving vision of the world you must have if you think that people making LESS than 4,000 baht a month working the farm should not feel oppressed. Go read a little bit about all the class and rural upheavals in the history of the world and you will see all the same patterns.

May be I should be asking the question - what do you think is oppression to you, aside from being on chains?

Oh my ... where do I begin?

The situations you describe do not exemplify OPPRESSION. Yes, it is possible that these situations may arise as a result of being oppressed, but not necessarily by the government. But, more than likely, they are consequences of either life choices that they had made earlier on in life or circumstances that are beyond the government's control (especially this government that is less than 2 years old). Furthermore, other than the 10K/mo uni grad, many of these people you describe may simply be UNEDUCATED. There is a BIG difference between being oppressed and being uneducated. As far as I can gather, Thai citizens are given the opportunity to go to school. Sure, the Thai educational system is in dire need of reform. But this fact remains -- many students, poor or rich, rural or urban, do succeed and are able to eventually afford more of what the modern world has to offer. Then again, many don't. That's just a fact of life. It happens in every country.

As a teacher, I have taught students from all walks of life, rich and poor, intelligent and not-so-intelligent, ambitious and downright lazy.

Yes, compared to the U.S., it is much more difficult for a child from a poor Thai family to succeed in school and go on to a fulfilling career, no matter how intelligent and ambitious that he/she may be. However, it is NOT impossible. There are no cruel laws or government policies that are intended to isolate any specific group of Thai citizens, such as the "rural poor", and prevent them from getting an education. It is unfortunate that there are many intelligent Thai children whose families feel they have no choice and stop sending their children to school early so they can help support their families. But, in many cases, the reality is they do have a choice.

I have met many Thais from rural poor families that made the right choice. Mothers and fathers made the necessary sacrifices to allow their children to take advantage of the educational opportunities that are available. Just out of college, many of them started out making about 8K-10K/mo but are now making a respectable 15K to 20K/mo, of which half goes home to help support their families.

This brings me to your "oppressed" 10K/mo uni grad. What's wrong with 10K/mo!?! Your perception that 10K/mo is not enough is based on what standard? Of course by western standards 10K/mo just won't cut it -- in the west. But 10K/mo is sufficient to start off a reasonable, Thai-style life. Sure, it may not be enough to afford a person all the "luxuries" of the modern world, but luxuries are just that: luxuries. They are not necessities. Unfortunately, many Thais are quite materialistic and brand-conscious so they end up blowing an entire month's salary on a smart phone or Gucci handbag. But that, in no way, shape, or form, constitutes oppression.

You're first paragraph is very, very good.

There are also two facts that seem to be forgotten ;

those red are the same people who sold their votes to Thaksin when he was around - now they are yelling for democracy, not realizing that their own actions are totally undemocratic but that of a terrorist group - they should be treated exactly like a terrorist group - anyone here saying that Thailand is not a free country under the current government is either brain washed or has none - this is simply a provocative statement with no foundation what so ever -

CS them and get rid of this mob before Monday start of business please - any other civilized country would do so since they have refused any negotiation with the government - negotiation, the way of a democracy - another proof that this is nothing but an attempt by mostly one particular person to regain his money and power and the common reds are simply to thick to understand what they are being used for.

Edited by BKjohn

Ring any bells?

That's a very silly thing to say don't you think?

Mind you, many of those saying that a major part of this ruckus 'isn't about Thaksin' are correct to precisely the same extent that it's correct to say that the American Civil War wasn't about Slavery.

Actually, the American Civil War was not about slavery, but was fought over States' Rights versus Federalism. Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves was done to deliver a blow to the south's economy. It was also a very good political move in order to keep the non-slavery States happy.

But this forum is about Thailand. I just wanted to correct a common error.

Why would very many of us Red supporters hang out at a newspaper's forum site that posts articles like this....currently the number 1 story in the pictures at the top of the main page...note the happy, happy joy joy music in the video:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/...b-30127267.html

We're not allowed to quote ANY other news source or link to ANY other news source. :)

Your accusations are false. Our forum rules give only 3 sources you cannot quote from or link to. All other newssources are allowed, provided they are in English and you only quote the first 3 sentences and name and provide a link to the source.

Maybe time to read the forum rules.