English/thai Language Toggle

kerryk

I have learned a lot in the past few days. It was my intention to switch from windows to Linux during the water holidays. Since you folks helped me get on line the process has been going well. I like the word processor and have installed three different video players that allow me to see most of my movies. I can even copy the cvd’s that my girlfriend rents.

I speak Thai OK but don’t write or read Thai. However I do have occasion to type in Thai even though I don’t know what I am typing or I ask my GF to type the word for me.

I have a dual language English/Thai keyboard. In windows there is a language toggle so I can switch back and forth. I can’t seem to find the instructions to do this in Ubuntu 9.10. It is not just the word processor but I need to type in Thai on line so I can google words and enter words on the internet in Thai.

I am afraid to experiment myself because of the danger of changing my language to Thai and then not knowing how to get back to English as my girlfriend is not computer literate and doesn’t speak English.

Thanks

Easy.

Step one, right click your top bar and choose "Add to Panel....".

Scroll down until you get to "Keyboard Indicator".

Click that and then hit "Add".

Go up to where it was added and right click it (on mine it says "USA" due to the default mapping).

Choose "Keyboard Preferences".

Click "Layouts" and then "Add". Add the Thai.

Apply your way back out and test it by clicking on the default/Thai thingy on your top bar....good luck.

Easy.

Step one, right click your top bar and choose "Add to Panel....".

Scroll down until you get to "Keyboard Indicator".

Click that and then hit "Add".

Go up to where it was added and right click it (on mine it says "USA" due to the default mapping).

Choose "Keyboard Preferences".

Click "Layouts" and then "Add". Add the Thai.

Apply your way back out and test it by clicking on the default/Thai thingy on your top bar....good luck.

Oh my, that was easy. I can now type in Thai. Thank you much.