What Are The Roads Like (post Songkram)

bigneilo

Went from Bangkok to Ubon passing close by Korat on Thursday evening. Traffic going back to Bangkok looked to be extremely heavy, with many stop start tailbacks of several kilometers length. Even close to Ubon at 9pm Highway 24 was very busy with people who I suspect were going to be driving back to Ubon (edit: make that BKK) overnight.

Very slow going for us too because the single carriageway between Buriram and Ubon made it difficult to find good overtaking. It was one of the most dangerous trips of my life that last 200k - bleeding buses and a few cars decided they could occupy our lane, provided they put there lights full on. Had to drive with one foot in the curb 'lane' (about 1 metre wide) ready to let the idiotic ones scrape past. I was forced completely off the road twice, so had to be very careful at bridges where there is no margin. <deleted> Thai drivers - they should be strung up.

From that I would assume that the bulk of Issaan revellers had to be back for work in Bangkok on Friday. I would guess that Sunday going up to Bangkok will be a bit more like a normal Sunday - ie heavy in the afternoon/evening but not impossible.

The BKK Eastern Ring Road had free tolls on Thursday and so did the elevated bit of Bangna Trat last Saturday. I think there is a Songkran toll holiday on some freeways which may last until Sunday. I say some because the top shelf in the centre was still charging. May be worth going Eastern Ring Road and Kampanisek rather than trying to cut through the centre.

Thailand is a strange place sometimes. Why on earth do they give a free ride to people who can afford cars? Another piece of warped social policy. [Perhaps it's because the ordinary roads would be gridlocked if they did not].

Edited by SantiSuk

On Thurs I drove from Khon Kaen to Bankok.....left KK at 8-30am with one stop for 30 minutes....arrived Bangkok at 7pm.....worst driving and most dangerous experience I have ever had...usually do the trip in 6 hours...majority of cars had Bangkok plates....most drivers were practising to become either F1 or rally contestants....very few big trucks on the road

I would not think of driving that rout on the 18th. That should be an all time cluster <deleted> going into Bangkok. Go the next day.

The wife came back from Sakeo late yesterday, Saturday, Hwy 33 to Nakhon Nayok then Hwy 305 to Klong 10, no problem, traffic normal. No idea how it might be today tho.

Perhaps from Korat, head south on Hwy 304 to Kabin Buri. Then depending on where you want to go:

-- If Rangsit and northern Bangkok, take the 33/305 combo to Rangsit

-- If southern & central Bangkok, stay on 304 for a bit, then:

- continue on 304 to Chachensao to Min Buri/Ramintra

- continue on 304 to Chachensao then cut a bit south to the Motorway, Hwy 7, then west on to Rama 9

But as has been said by others, ain't really no way to guarantee the traffic today.

You could try phoning JoSoLoy, FM 100, at 1137 (or would that be 02-1137 from upcountry) and ask.

Mac

Bignello

Let us know how your trip turned out, idle curiosity it is.

Mac

My spouse traveled by bus last evening (Sunday) from Nakhon Ratchasima in 4 hours...which surprised me...and seemed not far off from the norm in re time.

Edited by phetaroi

Bignello

Let us know how your trip turned out, idle curiosity it is.

Mac

My spouse traveled by bus last evening (Sunday) from Nakhon Ratchasima in 4 hours...which surprised me...and seemed not far off from the norm in re time.

That's kind of what "the other newspaper" said this morning. Most folks seem to have traveled Friday through Saturday night to "beat the rush" and got caught in it, leaving Sunday relatively normal.

Just can't plan to far ahead here in the LoS.

Mac