Pictures Of Catches (or The One That Got Away)

McFarang

Guys,

How about posting some pictures of your catches so that other posters and readers can get a taste of what sort of fish are around what they look like even taste like.

I will start the ball rolling or should i say Reel Screaming with DORADO otherwise known as Mai Mai or Dolphin Fish.

This is one of my favourites as they can be spectacular leapers when catching them. Vivid yellow and blue colours that sadly fade when they are out of the water.

A great eating fish Firm white meat excellent on a BBQ with butter & Lemon Juice also makes great Fish for Fish & Chips.

Tips,

Look for weed or Flotsom & Jetsom floating around and make a few passes in that area as they love to take shade under these sort of areas.

Try and keep the Fish in the water longer if fishing with friends as Dorado tend to swim around with their mates and you have a good chance of a double Hooker.

Enjoy & Tight Lines

Neill

Rawai Beach IGFA Fishing Club

Phuket

Next Week WAHOO

post-38386-1271488101_thumb.jpg

post-38386-1271488345_thumb.jpg

Woops sorry but just finished cleaning todays catch, without taking a photo.

3 longtoms, biggest 1metre, 4 good sized estuary cod and 4 kilos of squid. plus an assortment of other smaller things that the mil gets to keep her happy.

27200_386912981574_530296574_3810088_4737508_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the haul from a recent session in the Gulf of Thailand (2-4th April 2010), the Kings and African Pompano fought hard and taste great.

Live bait was used to catch all of these, about 50:50 being on fish and squid.

The Kings were caught primarily via surface free-lining a live squid with a small polystyrene float , and the Pompano's caught off the bottom near wrecks.

All spots about 5-6hrs out from Pattaya

27200_386912981574_530296574_3810088_4737508_n.jpg

Here's a pic of the haul from a recent session in the Gulf of Thailand (2-4th April 2010), the Kings and African Pompano fought hard and taste great.

Live bait was used to catch all of these, about 50:50 being on fish and squid.

The Kings were caught primarily via surface free-lining a live squid with a small polystyrene float , and the Pompano's caught off the bottom near wrecks.

All spots about 5-6hrs out from Pattaya

quiksilva,

Nice catch! what fish were you using as Livebait? interested to know was it near shore that you were float fishing or open sea?

Good to see some Pics arriving on the site gets the juices going I will be back in Phuket Thursday for a month and I am looking forward to getting out on my boat.

In the meantime here a couple of Pictures Of Black Marlin they are in the Andaman Sea Off Phuket but few and far between much better chance of hooking at Similan & also Andaman Islands

Keep It Up

Tight Lines

Neill

post-38386-1271684224_thumb.jpg

post-38386-1271684477_thumb.jpg

Without having an off shore boat in Thailand I stick mostly to fresh water. I seldom kill anything in Thailand because I get too much in Canada.

Here are some Thailand catches... mostly by fly fishing...

Giant snakehead (Pla shadow)

fly_caught_snakehead_1_Em.sized.jpg

Mekong catfish (Pla buk)

Ian_with_Pla_Buk_1.sized.jpg

Malaysian boney tongue (Arawana) - and NO I WON'T tell where I caught it, other than it was an unusual fluke!

Strange_fish.sized.jpg

Jungle perch..

Ian_with_jungle_perch_1_Em.sized.jpg

Jungle_perch_4.sized.jpg

even some small Archerfish took our flies

Archer_fish_Em.sized.jpg

Pacu ... similar to pirhana

Angler_Pacu.sized.jpg

Thai mahseer

Thai_mahseer_1.sized.jpg

And what is commonly called a Burmese trout

Burmese_trout_1.sized.jpg

quiksilva,

Nice catch! what fish were you using as Livebait? interested to know was it near shore that you were float fishing or open sea?

Good to see some Pics arriving on the site gets the juices going I will be back in Phuket Thursday for a month and I am looking forward to getting out on my boat.

In the meantime here a couple of Pictures Of Black Marlin they are in the Andaman Sea Off Phuket but few and far between much better chance of hooking at Similan & also Andaman Islands

Keep It Up

Tight Lines

Neill

Hi Neill,

We were fishing wrecks in open water, 5 hours out from Pattaya with absolutely no land in sight. I dont have a boat myself, so dont have much more in the way of details, I organise a few charter trips each year with a trusted Thai skipper.

I'm also not entirely sure of the name of the bait fish we were using. They were on average about 6-8 inches long, a reef fish similar in shape (but much lighter tan colouring) to a pollack caught by jigging feathers off the bottom. No pics I'm afraid, but will get some next time.

This was our biggest haul of African Pompano that I have had, usually we catch plenty of Kings, Dorado, even the occasional Cobia, Snapper, Grouper.

We eat what we catch, with exception of the very rare bill fish which we release. Billfish are rare in the Gulf but have once hooked a small Marlin and a Sailfish both of which were closer to Pattaya in and around the islands.

I'm living on a fish diet right now and it tastes fantastic.

Edited by quiksilva

Woah! nice one Ianforbes! Where do you get your fly fishing gear in Thailand? Is it from back home or did you order it online? I'm a freshwater fisherman myself and have been wanting to get into fly fishing for a while now.

Edited by Ozaemon

Agreed Ian's the freshwater fishing escapades looks great , I enjoy a spot of spinning on Srinakarin dam occasionally.

Mostly just Jungle Perch on silver / gold spoons and the occasional Snakehead on surfaced fished frog lures with giant spinning propellers (which is great fun!)

I have never tried fly fishing but would love to give it a go sometime. I have heard some people even fly fish for Sailfish!!

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting, but I have been reading and checking out photos in this forum for a while now. I've lived in Thailand for 5 years and am happy to see that fisherman finally have a place to chat and share information about fishing in Thailand. I thought I'd share a just a few pics. of some my catches here in T-land. Like Ian Forbes I mainly fish freshwater lakes and rivers, and on very rare occasions go to the pay to play fishing parks if I need a fishing fix. I pretty much release everything that I catch, except for the occasional Pla Chon/Striped Snakehead. Keep the posts and pics coming and I look forward to sharing techniques and fishing spots with other die hard fishermen. Good luck and tight lines fellas!

post-50481-1271769614_thumb.jpg

post-50481-1271769629_thumb.jpg

post-50481-1271769737_thumb.jpg

post-50481-1271769767_thumb.jpg

post-50481-1271769794_thumb.jpg

post-50481-1271769811_thumb.jpg

post-50481-1271770087_thumb.jpg

Without having an off shore boat in Thailand I stick mostly to fresh water. I seldom kill anything in Thailand because I get too much in Canada.

Here are some Thailand catches... mostly by fly fishing...

Giant snakehead (Pla shadow)

fly_caught_snakehead_1_Em.sized.jpg

Mekong catfish (Pla buk)

Ian_with_Pla_Buk_1.sized.jpg

Malaysian boney tongue (Arawana) - and NO I WON'T tell where I caught it, other than it was an unusual fluke!

Strange_fish.sized.jpg

Jungle perch..

Ian_with_jungle_perch_1_Em.sized.jpg

Jungle_perch_4.sized.jpg

even some small Archerfish took our flies

Archer_fish_Em.sized.jpg

Pacu ... similar to pirhana

Angler_Pacu.sized.jpg

Thai mahseer

Thai_mahseer_1.sized.jpg

And what is commonly called a Burmese trout

Burmese_trout_1.sized.jpg

Ian,

Great photos many moons ago I started my fishing in the lochs and Rivers of Scotland and although Big Game has my main attention in Saltwater I have actually brought all my Fly Tying Kit from Scotland (have not looked at a whipping Finish Tool & Vice) for 18 years but I have all the gear.

I am not sure where you stay but if you are ever in the South of Phuket look us up I have Salt Water Fly Gear for the Sails Off Racha Islands if you are interested in a Trip?

Just heading back to Phuket now will be back on Thu.

Great Photos and good looking Wild Fish

Neill Campbell

President

Phuket

Ian,

Great photos many moons ago I started my fishing in the lochs and Rivers of Scotland and although Big Game has my main attention in Saltwater I have actually brought all my Fly Tying Kit from Scotland (have not looked at a whipping Finish Tool & Vice) for 18 years but I have all the gear.

I am not sure where you stay but if you are ever in the South of Phuket look us up I have Salt Water Fly Gear for the Sails Off Racha Islands if you are interested in a Trip?

Just heading back to Phuket now will be back on Thu.

Great Photos and good looking Wild Fish

Neill Campbell

President

Phuket

I am back in Canada until November, but when I return I'll look you up. I stay in Chiang Mai, but I usually take at least one trip a year down to the Andaman Sea area. It would be fun going off shore... if for no other reason than taking photos. I spend a lot of time fishing in BC and just about live off what I catch: salmon, halibut, cod, tuna, crab, prawns etc.

Mornings_catch.sized.jpg

Dan_Ian_Matt_1_E.sized.jpg

In answer to one of the questions, I bring my own fly rods and reels from Canada when I come. I bring a 5, an 8 and a 10 wt rod in a plastic tube in my luggage. I've never found a place in Thailand that sells fly fishing tackle. I have a friend in Chiang Mai who arranges most of our trips and he has the boats, the kayaks and the Thai guides.

Edited by IanForbes

post-32190-1271816486_thumb.jpgpost-32190-1271816505_thumb.jpg

Here is yesterdays catch, also hooked onto several longtoms but with no success.

Not sure of the type of grouper or cod, but better than the norm around phuket, or where I have been anyway. These were all caught in the same spot in about 8m of water, during the middle of the day. I launched at Ao Por at 930am and was back on the trailer by 500pm