Walk Down Ratchaprasong

Insight

Agreed. Peace brother. However, it takes two to tango and the reds won't dance. What is the government supposed to do with that?

You have got your opinion and I respect that. However I mentioned earlier that I keep a neutral approach and you will not get me involved into political haggling. Only one thing: what I have learned here is that nothing is black or white...there are endless shades of gray and colors and here in Thailand one can even join a Tango without dancing; anyways a Tango is far too simple to be used as an example to explain the reality of what is going on here.

That was my first and last time that I was getting involved in political discussions...

If I lived in the middle of a potential major battle zone, I would be walking on egg shells too mate.

Except in the propaganda speeches the mood down there is still much more party or carnival like than it is tense. Please tell me where and how do you see the mood of the people down at Ratchaprasong getting more tense. Just this early afternoon between the propaganda speeches they had two Ladies on the stage singing and performing some music and dance from Issan for a while and many people down there also started dancing. The degree of friendliness and compassion I experience down there is still unique and overwhelming.

I live in an apartment right in the middle of the Ratchaprasong area and I am down there on the streets and among the reds several times daily. I have to unvoluntarily join the Red Shirts if I want to go out shopping or eating or whatever. From my apartment I can also see and hear very clearly what is going on down there. Even with closed windows the noise level is still overwhelming.

I keep a neutral attitude and neglect all the political lies and propaganda no matter from which side it comes. To be honest I see far too many deviations from the truth and too much propaganda from all sides involved in the conflict.

In the beginning it was more of an open street party and now it is developing more and more into something like an independent village in the heart of the city. People are installing themselves more and more comfortably and their own infrastructure is developing. The markets down there are getting more diverse, the selection of street food is getting better by the day, the number of tents, shelters, street pharmacies, open air massage parlors and so on is increasing constantly.

I keep capturing what is going on down there with my camera regularly and I opened a website with my photos from around my neighborhood: Ratchaprasong

Thanks for the photos. This thread badly needed a dose of reality.

Except in the propaganda speeches the mood down there is still much more party or carnival like than it is tense. Please tell me where and how do you see the mood of the people down at Ratchaprasong getting more tense. Just this early afternoon between the propaganda speeches they had two Ladies on the stage singing and performing some music and dance from Issan for a while and many people down there also started dancing. The degree of friendliness and compassion I experience down there is still unique and overwhelming.

I live in an apartment right in the middle of the Ratchaprasong area and I am down there on the streets and among the reds several times daily. I have to unvoluntarily join the Red Shirts if I want to go out shopping or eating or whatever. From my apartment I can also see and hear very clearly what is going on down there. Even with closed windows the noise level is still overwhelming.

I keep a neutral attitude and neglect all the political lies and propaganda no matter from which side it comes. To be honest I see far too many deviations from the truth and too much propaganda from all sides involved in the conflict.

In the beginning it was more of an open street party and now it is developing more and more into something like an independent village in the heart of the city. People are installing themselves more and more comfortably and their own infrastructure is developing. The markets down there are getting more diverse, the selection of street food is getting better by the day, the number of tents, shelters, street pharmacies, open air massage parlors and so on is increasing constantly.

I keep capturing what is going on down there with my camera regularly and I opened a website with my photos from around my neighborhood: Ratchaprasong

Thanks for the photos. This thread badly needed a dose of reality.

Is my reality not good enough for you? What's this "tense" reality you speak of?

For the record we didn't really feel any tension in there. We were actually of to a clinic which has advised my wife to remain free from stress as possible, so our political stances remained well and truly in the car. Everybody was courteous and welcoming even with our absence of red clothing.

It was just incredibly disappointing listening to the speaker saying the clips had been doctored; the broadcast I watched contained the exact same clips I seen circulated on YouTube in the hours and days after the Saturday bloodshed. But it seems to be the norm of these red shirt speakers from what I've heard - scattered with misinformation to keep their loyal followers on side.

Re the govt translating the speeches: pretty sure there'll be accusations of "duben stan-tad" flying around if they did, not allowing the country to watch PTV but allowing international media to (bit like saying your joining your loyal followers sleeping out on the street when you're actually staying in a reasonably decent hotel all expenses paid I guess). One would hope if any foreign journalist wanted to investigate the reasons for the closure of the channel they'd perform this translation work themselves. Hope springs eternal.

TallForeigner - thanks for the photos and update report. It's good to have a first-hand account of what's actually going on down there. It's a pity that more foreigners don't make the effort to go there and find out for themselves the real situation rather than relying on the heavily biased media and speculation.

Some photos I took last Sunday of abandoned military vehicles here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Photos-Thai-...la-t356064.html

Edited by bulmercke

You are all welcome!

Maybe I should start to offer guided tours around Ratchaprasong Resort. All inclusive: Music, propaganda, dance, Issan streetfood, soft drinks, street market, knowledgeable guide and personal bodyguard...

Edited by TallForeigner

You are all welcome!

Maybe I should start to offer guided tours around Ratchaprasong Resort. All inclusive: Music, propaganda, dance, Issan streetfood, soft drinks, street market, knowledgeable guide and personal bodyguard...

No need for the personal bodyguard.

I've been to Ratchaprasong recently and some of the people I met there - Red-Shirts - are some of the friendliest Thais you could ever want to meet.

I've been to Ratchaprasong recently and some of the people I met there - Red-Shirts - are some of the friendliest Thais you could ever want to meet.

That's exactly my experience too. The bodyguard would be for those that are scared to get there until they realize that they don't need one. However the bodyguard would be there anyways since I would personally take up that role.

TallForeigner - thanks for the photos and update report. It's good to have a first-hand account of what's actually going on down there. It's a pity that more foreigners don't make the effort to go there and find out for themselves the real situation rather than relying on the heavily biased media and speculation.

Some photos I took last Sunday of abandoned military vehicles here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Photos-Thai-...la-t356064.html

Really?

What your saying is true - the people there are friendly and sincerely welcome any interest shown in their movement, as you would expect with Thai people. But the thought of what would happen if the army decided to launch a surprise attempt at reclaiming the area was always in my mind. Regardless of your persuasions I'm sure we can all agree very recent history has shown us which way it is likely to turn.

Enjoyed your photos TallForeigner, but I don't doubt planning an escape strategy has crossed your mind in the past few weeks.

What your saying is true - the people there are friendly and sincerely welcome any interest shown in their movement, as you would expect with Thai people. But the thought of what would happen if the army decided to launch a surprise attempt at reclaiming the area was always in my mind. Regardless of your persuasions I'm sure we can all agree very recent history has shown us which way it is likely to turn.

Enjoyed your photos TallForeigner, but I don't doubt planning an escape strategy has crossed your mind in the past few weeks.

I hope you don't suggest I would publish my escape strategy on the internet!

Sometimes I feel like I am close to start crying. I like Thai people - no matter what color. Everytime I am just about to retreat back into my apartment the positive experience of the human warmth and friendliness is filling my heart and mind; if during such a moment I think about the terrible but real threat of an army marching in violently I have to fight hard to hold back my tears. It's an awful emotional roller-coaster. As a foreigner I have no rights to be involved in politics here but I still feel that I would like to help somehow. That's why my wife and I went out there a few times and were giving pillows to some very old and needy people and some toddlers sleeping on the pavement - it's not because we want to support the Red Shirts - it's just because we are human beings with hearts.

Sometimes I feel like I am close to start crying. I like Thai people - no matter what color. Everytime I am just about to retreat back into my apartment the positive experience of the human warmth and friendliness is filling my heart and mind; if during such a moment I think about the terrible but real threat of an army marching in violently I have to fight hard to hold back my tears. It's an awful emotional roller-coaster. As a foreigner I have no rights to be involved in politics here but I still feel that I would like to help somehow. That's why my wife and I went out there a few times and were giving pillows to some very old and needy people and some toddlers sleeping on the pavement - it's not because we want to support the Red Shirts - it's just because we are human beings with hearts.

These are my sentiments exactly. You and your wife are indeed kind people.

I truly hope no innocent protesters get injured or killed in the next few days.

These are my sentiments exactly. You and your wife are indeed kind people.

I truly hope no innocent protesters get injured or killed in the next few days.

Ditto that - excellent post, TallForeigner. Well done to you and your missus.

I honestly believe the military will exhaust all the least aggressive options as taking an aggressive approach is playing right into the red shirt game plan IMHO. I'm no military strategist by any means but this situation can't be unique.

Very sad times right now.

I am re-opening this thread with a very stern warning to all, lets do try to keep this thread neutral so that others can feel comfortable posting their photos and videos. There are plenty of other threads where you are free to post your myriad of political opinions but the OP has requested and I concur, that this thread should stay NEUTRAL.

Please bear that in mind when posting as I would hate to have to come back in here and delete and warn.

Cheers