Newbie Questions From Uk Resident

I have done some reading up but it would be useful to me ito have the answers to some questions. I am 50 and have enough savings to apply for an annual retirement visa.

1/ I have a minor spent criminal conviction in the UK (criminal damage over 20 years ago). Need i worry that this could bar me from entry to Thailand ?

2/ I have a private UK pension. Do i have to pay tax on the annuity in the UK or Thailand ? Is the Thai tax rate lower than the UK ?

3/ Can i get the UK state pension and SERPS payments payed in Thailand OK and will I get annual indexed increases ?

4/ Any idea what type of medical conditions would bar granting of a retirement visa ?

5/ Is the cost of healthcare fairly cheap in Thailand ? Can i get some sort of health insurance ? How does the cost of dentistry in Thailand compare to the UK ?

6/ How does the general cost of living compare to the UK ?

Thanks

David

Edited by penbat

First things first, you've asked this in the wrong section. You'd probably get a better response in the Thai visas, residency and work permits section.

I'll answer what I can...

2/ I have a private UK pension. Do i have to pay tax on the annuity in the UK or Thailand ? Is the Thai tax rate lower than the UK ?

Depends how much you earn. Tax is initially lower in Thailand, but it goes up to 30% while you'd still be at the 23% rate in the UK. However, the top UK rate of 40% is way higher than anything in Thailand.

I know the state pension would definitely be taxed in the UK (as would a civil service pension, etc.). I'm afraid I'm not sure with a private pension.

3/ Can i get the UK state pension and SERPS payments payed in Thailand OK and will I get annual indexed increases ?
Sorry - but Thailand is one of the countries where your state pension would be frozen. No cost of living increases. If this is a deal-breaker, the Phillipines might be a better option as it would continue to be indexed there.
5/ Is the cost of healthcare fairly cheap in Thailand ? Can i get some sort of health insurance ? How does the cost of dentistry in Thailand compare to the UK ?

Yes, it's fairly cheap - but there's no free health care here. Yes, you can get health insurance, although be careful that it's got enough cover. Most of the Thai policies only go up to about 1m baht, which will run out fairly quickly if you go into an intensive care ward. Whether it will be enough probably depends on your general health.

It's a LOT cheaper than private health care in the UK / US / Europe, but that's not that difficult.

Dentistry here is a lot cheaper than I was paying with Bupa in the UK. However, I haven't had more than a couple of fillings here. It's probably a bit cheaper than even the NHS in the UK...

Most things are a lot cheaper. i.e. About a third of the price in the UK on average.

However, it varies from things like haircuts where a proper cut and blow dry at a hair dressers in a mall in Bangkok is 100 baht (~£1.35), to imported cars which are double or more their price in the UK.

i.e. Stuff that's imported tends to get hammered by tax (to keep a nice trade surplus), but stuff that involves manual labour (like a haircut, or building work, etc.) is a lot cheaper because 6,000 baht a month is fairly normal for unskilled work. (~£80)

If you like Thai food, you can live here very cheaply. If you don't, you'll probably pay more than you expect on foodstuffs. Although a Big Mac Meal here is 89 baht (£1.20) compared to god knows what in the UK.

Maybe one thing you should consider is coming on an extended holiday first. I only say this as you ask for the cost of living so i am assuming you havent been before.

Depending on what standard of living you want will determine how much you spend. Apartments are alot cheaper in los than in the U.K

Thanks for very useful responses so far and thanks Mr Mod for moving this thread to the correct forum.

Incidentally, who do i approach in the UK for the criminal record check ?

Edited by penbat

4/ Any idea what type of medical conditions would bar granting of a retirement visa ?

Thanks

David

4. The required medical certificate has to specify that you're free from: leprosy, TB, elephantiasis, drug addiction, 3rd stage syphilis and - I think - alcoholism.

5. Some people take the view that with the cost of healthcare so cheap compared to the west, they'll self-insure i.e. keep a reserve to pay if/when they need to. It's something you have to decide.......... basically, it's a bet (but then - so is insurance).

6. Cost of living also depends a lot on where you are in Thailand - Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya generally the high end and places like Chiang Mai in the middle and more remote provinces significantly low end. I agree with bkk_mike about imported items, but I'd say that in many respects your £ goes 5-6 times further in Thailand - if you handle it right.

I definitely echo the suggestion that you should take a long holiday and look around a few places first (and not just the beach resorts). You should also devote a fair amount of time to looking through various discussions on this forum - Thailand is not all instant paradise, much as I love it.

Apply to your police force for a police certificate.

Costs you £10.

You get the result in max 40 days but often sooner.

See what the result is.

You may be pleasantly surprised that it says you are clean as I think they only cover 10 years (unless a major offence)

Apply to your police force for a police certificate.

Costs you £10.

You get the result in max 40 days but often sooner.

See what the result is.

You may be pleasantly surprised that it says you are clean as I think they only cover 10 years (unless a major offence)

I think they list every offence that ended up in court, this spent offences thing seems a bit of a joke.

I'm sure LOS is full of people who forgot to tell HMG that they are living abroad and so still obtain the pension increase-peter

1/ I have a minor spent criminal conviction in the UK (criminal damage over 20 years ago). Need i worry that this could bar me from entry to Thailand ?

No. If you obtain a tourist visa in the UK they do not ask about a criminal record (unless it's changed recently). Then you can apply in Thailand for your one year retirement extension.

You will pay t*x at source; although you will have your normal tax free allowances (about Sterling 5,000.00 p.a.)

Yes, no.

IMHO, only if you are DOA.

Cheaper.

Much cheaper. As has been said, about 1/3 rd

The NEE NAR,S  or your local magistrates court

Will have a copy

Please clarify what "NEE NAR,S" is. At this stage I just need to establish whether a spent conviction would stop me from getting a retirement visa.

It really depends on what the conviction was for, and the sentence recieved.

And then i would guess that the Thai authorities would be in a position to make an informed decision.

NEE NAR'S = Police :o