Problems Buying Toyota Vios

xm911e3

Hi guys, first off, thanks alot for your inputs in my Previous Post

Yesterday I went down to Toyota showroom intending to put a deposit of 25% but they say I can't buy the car in my name. Car must be in a Thai name.

Gezzzz, I'm the one paying for the downpayment and monthly installments and car belongs to the Thais.... What the hel_l.... If I run over a Thai, can I push all the responsibility to a Thai too? (Ok this part is just me ranting out...)

2 days ago, they told me it's ok and yesterday they told me I can't :) It really pissed me off very badly. It seems like in Thailand they're not very sure what they are doing. I guess the best thing is to ask farangs here who have the experience rather than asking a Thai who always seems to be like a "Deer In Headlights".

Anyway bros, how can I buy a the car in Thailand under my name?

PS: I've heard lotsa "BUTS" and "CANNOT" in Thailand......

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a job here and a work permit? If not, pay cash.

No I've neither a job nor a work permit here. What I've with me right now

1) Business Visa

2) The 25% Downpayment

3) A Co Ltd In Thailand

4) Bangkok Bank Statement (More Than 100,000B Income Every Month)

5) Start Up Capital For My New Business In Thailand

6) My Thai Girlfriend

7) Spare Cash

Is it possible for me to take a loan for the car rather than paying cash for the whole car?

Thanks alot

Until your business starts showing income, I believe you will need a responsible (with a job) Thai to co-sign.

Even if my Bangkok Bank statement shows that I've income more than a 100,000B, I still can't buy a car?

I guess if so, I will use my business to buy the car when it starts showing income.

If a Thai is require to co-sign, is the Thai acting as a guarantor and the car belongs to my company or is the car under a Thai's name?

I'm just pissed off with how the Thais work.. One moment it's ok and another moment it's not ok...

It is my understanding that if the income is not being made in Thailand, you will need a co-signer. The car can be in your name, but the Thai would be held responsible for the debt. If it was me, I would buy used and pay cash.

It is my understanding that if the income is not being made in Thailand, you will need a co-signer. The car can be in your name, but the Thai would be held responsible for the debt. If it was me, I would buy used and pay cash.

I can get my Thai girlfriend to be a guarantor for me. I will pay for downpayment and monthly installments as long as the car is in my name.

Talking about 2nd hand cars in Thailand, my girlfriend and I snooped around the 2nd hand car dealers and the price between a 2nd hand car and a new car is merely 100,000B or less in difference (might as well buy a new one). The old cars range between 5-7 years or more. No warranty or whatsoever. If 2nd hand car constantly gives problem, the only way is pray to god and hopefully he hears.

As far as I know, if you pay the whole price, no problem to get the car in your name.

Trouble starts if you want to finance the car.

Depending on the finance company or the bank they will give you a loan, but together with a Thai national.

Or a Thai national guarantees the loan.

Even so, the car can be in your name, or in two names.

But the fianance company get the ownership papers.

Best way, if you are able to do, pay the who;e sum, car in solely in your name, no need for guarantees from anyone.

I did!

From you attitude...I'd say you should bugger off back to farangland before you loose your shirt in Thailand. From your posts, it seems to me you are much too jai-lon to ever make a successful go of it in Thailand...leave now before you loose what little money you have and blow an aorta as well.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Regardless of others posts here suggesting that you don’t have an equal right to Thai’s to get frustrated and annoyed when on the receiving end of the ‘run around’ and ‘misinformation’, IMO it is ok and natural for anyone, including Thai and a westerner to be frustrated when some idiot in sales lies and wastes your time.

I’m guessing that when they told you that you can have the car in your name they were making the assumption that you had a work permit.

It seems to me that through shear laziness a lot of assumptions are made when doing business here and your frustration in this case is understandable.

OP: I assume because we as foreigners are a higher flight risk there is increased security involved with borrowing money from any institution in Thailand. Be it credit cards, mortgage, bank loans etc… A Thai can secure a credit card on a minimal income where as a westerner, without a work permit can not, even if he earns B500,000 per month (foreign income).

It’s the same with the car. Because the finance company will view you as a higher flight risk the finance company will limit your opportunities.

With a work permit and a desperate sales team you may be able to get finance with a 25% down payment – The norm is 40% down payment I think.

If you have no work permit, I’m not sure if you can get finance at all which is why they will ask for the car to go into a Thai’s name.

As another Op said; you can get the car in your name if you pay for it all.

Regardless of others posts here suggesting that you don't have an equal right to Thai's to get frustrated and annoyed when on the receiving end of the 'run around' and 'misinformation', IMO it is ok and natural for anyone, including Thai and a westerner to be frustrated when some idiot in sales lies and wastes your time.

I'm guessing that when they told you that you can have the car in your name they were making the assumption that you had a work permit.

It seems to me that through shear laziness a lot of assumptions are made when doing business here and your frustration in this case is understandable.

OP: I assume because we as foreigners are a higher flight risk there is increased security involved with borrowing money from any institution in Thailand. Be it credit cards, mortgage, bank loans etc… A Thai can secure a credit card on a minimal income where as a westerner, without a work permit can not, even if he earns B500,000 per month (foreign income).

It's the same with the car. Because the finance company will view you as a higher flight risk the finance company will limit your opportunities.

With a work permit and a desperate sales team you may be able to get finance with a 25% down payment – The norm is 40% down payment I think.

If you have no work permit, I'm not sure if you can get finance at all which is why they will ask for the car to go into a Thai's name.

I have financed 3 cars in my name, and never had a work permit. 25% down on Vios, you will not need a thai guarantor either. Several threads here on this already, so keep reading to learn.

The attitude OP show here towards thais is not going to work though

Smile, gentle and cinsistent and you will have a Vios with 25% down in a week

Regardless of others posts here suggesting that you don't have an equal right to Thai's to get frustrated and annoyed when on the receiving end of the 'run around' and 'misinformation', IMO it is ok and natural for anyone, including Thai and a westerner to be frustrated when some idiot in sales lies and wastes your time.

I'm guessing that when they told you that you can have the car in your name they were making the assumption that you had a work permit.

It's the same with the car. Because the finance company will view you as a higher flight risk the finance company will limit your opportunities.

If you have no work permit, I'm not sure if you can get finance at all which is why they will ask for the car to go into a Thai's name.

I have financed 3 cars in my name, and never had a work permit. 25% down on Vios, you will not need a thai guarantor either. Several threads here on this already, so keep reading to learn.

Fair enough. Did I read that the rules apply differently to pickups ?

10 years ago - Honda CRV finance - with a work permit. I still needed 40% down-payment and a Thai guarantor. 3 cars later, I've just bought them out right instead of going through the finance hassles so I'm not really up to date.

As I understand it....a work permit, 40% and a guarantor will guarantee that finance can be secured, anything less is flexible and down to the individual finance company.

While always starting off happy and smiling, the 'kreng-jai' level of the sales staff in Thailand often needs kicking up a notch - smiling and mai-pen-rai doesn't always achieve this which is when alternative measures are acceptable for both thai and Westerners.

Of course, we have to know when we are dealing with simple stubborn idiocracy and walk away or face it head on. Each situation is different and can be dealt with based on its individual merits.

Ok I apologized for my attitude. I was frustrated with some issues here because I made extremely clear at the beginning of the paper work that I do not have a work permit and he says it's ok. Tomorrow he says it's not ok.... anyway put this man behind and move forward.

You mean I can still get a 25% down on the Vios in my name without the need of a work permit or a Thai Guarantor?

PS: I'll remember to smile and be extremely polite in future.

Fair enough. Did I read that the rules apply differently to pickups ?

10 years ago - Honda CRV finance - with a work permit. I still needed 40% down-payment and a Thai guarantor. 3 cars later, I've just bought them out right instead of going through the finance hassles so I'm not really up to date.

As I understand it....a work permit, 40% and a guarantor will guarantee that finance can be secured, anything less is flexible and down to the individual finance company.

While always starting off happy and smiling, the 'kreng-jai' level of the sales staff in Thailand often needs kicking up a notch - smiling and mai-pen-rai doesn't always achieve this which is when alternative measures are acceptable for both thai and Westerners.

Of course, we have to know when we are dealing with simple stubborn idiocracy and walk away or face it head on. Each situation is different and can be dealt with based on its individual merits.

yepp, pickups and all 4x4 are more often stolen/exported/wrecked, so 25% down does not do without thai guarantor.

Yaris I payed only 20% down in 2006

A friend just took delivery on 980k 4x4 auto 4 door pickup, and payed 50% down. no guarantor, no credithistory except 6 months having thai creditcard

I just purchased a new Civic 2.0. I put 50% down (though they would have excepted less) but have a WP. First they told me no guarantor needed, then when ready to give the down payment they said I needed a guarantor. My reaction to that got him on the phone and he returned saying no guarantor needed. :) And yes, the car is in my name with the finance company holding the documentation.

Without a WP but a bank book showing a steady income you may get the finance but most likely need a Thai guarantor and perhaps a larger deposit. Try another dealership if they won't budge. There are quite a few posts around that show members have purchased on finance without a guarantor or WP but around 40% deposit was required.

From you attitude...I'd say you should bugger off back to farangland before you loose your shirt in Thailand. From your posts, it seems to me you are much too jai-lon to ever make a successful go of it in Thailand...leave now before you loose what little money you have and blow an aorta as well.

Seems to me like all that happened is he was given the wrong information by sales staff and messed around, and resultantly felt a bit pissed off. Perfectly natural and not a reason to be "buggering off back to farangland". Just because this is Thailand, it doesn't mean you have to take everything lying down you know.

How much out the door for a new Vios? What kind of interest rate are they charging you?

The Toyota Vios (E Series) I saw at the showroom is 609,000B and interest rate is 2.7% per annum.

you might want to ad 30k for dual airbags :)

brings it up to an acceptable safety standard

How much out the door for a new Vios? What kind of interest rate are they charging you?

The Toyota Vios (E Series) I saw at the showroom is 609,000B and interest rate is 2.7% per annum.

Seems quite a lot. Am i right in saying that the J is about 509,000B? That's what it used to be, and they would usually throw on quite a few extras so it wasn't that far different from an E. Just a thought...

I see 2007s going for slightly over 400,000 on http://www.taladrod.com. A 3 year old Toyota shouldn't give you any problems. Me, I like to let somebody else eat that initial depreciation. I also like being debt free. :)

Seems quite a lot. Am i right in saying that the J is about 509,000B? That's what it used to be, and they would usually throw on quite a few extras so it wasn't that far different from an E. Just a thought...

auto, abs and airbags arent easy to throw in

I see 2007s going for slightly over 400,000 on http://www.taladrod.com. A 3 year old Toyota shouldn't give you any problems. Me, I like to let somebody else eat that initial depreciation. I also like being debt free. :)

I completely agree that buying second-hand outright makes so much more sense than buying new on finance (but that's me, i detest credit) - but i don't think for slightly over 400,000 he will get a new shape Vios. More like 450,000 minimum. 480,000 no problem. That is getting a little too close to the new price for my liking.

auto, abs and airbags arent easy to throw in

That's a good point. Pay extra for the auto and drive safely then perhaps? :)

I completely agree that buying second-hand outright makes so much more sense than buying new on finance (but that's me, i detest credit) - but i don't think for slightly over 400,000 he will get a new shape Vios. More like 450,000 minimum. 480,000 no problem. That is getting a little too close to the new price for my liking.

There are 9 E & S series listed for between 400,000 - 450,000. These are from private parties. Can't comment on the condition without looking, but a 3 year old Toyota ought to be fairly decent.

As far as I know, if you pay the whole price, no problem to get the car in your name.

Trouble starts if you want to finance the car.

Depending on the finance company or the bank they will give you a loan, but together with a Thai national.

Or a Thai national guarantees the loan.

Even so, the car can be in your name, or in two names.

But the fianance company get the ownership papers.

Best way, if you are able to do, pay the who;e sum, car in solely in your name, no need for guarantees from anyone.

I did!

I agree with this, I am doing it now,, with Nissan.

I got a 'valid visa' certificate' from immigration.

I have been banking with the same thai bank for 20 years..

25% downpayment,

No problem, Car is in my name.

Financing from either Nissan or Thanachart bank,,

No thai guarantor.

No WP - not necessary anymore.

( weall need to remember thailand isvery beaurocratic - they like toa sk for copieds of all sorts of documents - even when they are NOT require dby law whether we are Thai or foreigners..) :)

There are 9 E & S series listed for between 400,000 - 450,000. These are from private parties. Can't comment on the condition without looking, but a 3 year old Toyota ought to be fairly decent.

OK. Apologies. I stand errected. :)

Pay cash if going second hand. They repayment interest rates can be up to 8% or so! That's why if you need to pay off the car, best to go with a new one, or cash only for a second hand one. The second hand one can end up costing more than a new one.

Edited by culicine

Yep you're right bro. The J version (Manual Transmission) is about 509,000B and the auto is about 549,000B. :)

Edited by xm911e3