How Often Do You Go Downtown?

WinnieTheKhwai

How often do you spend time downtown?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dare not go into town, for a start far too many mouth-wateringly beautiful meals to be had.

Last farang that got my shekels was Mad Dogs on a pizza about 2 years ago.

Was nearly tempted by Miguels on Nimenheman yesterday.

It came down to asking my wife: Chinese or Miguels?

She chose Chinese dam_n it!!

I have cheese withdrawal symptoms in times of national crisis.

Edited by whiterussian

Sorry my first post had to be deleted, but it was nothing I said... and there was justification. Great to see Eek hard at work. :)

So, I'll repeat myself without quoting someone else. I never see that much bad traffic in Chiang Mai except when there is an event going on. And, you can always make allowances for that. Certainly, there is a slow down during the TWO peak rush hours, but it seldom lasts more than an hour. The bottleneck at Hang Dong (outside Chiang Mai) is a bit of an annoyance, but that is about all. Of course, I ride a motorbike and can slip by trucks and cars. Parking is always a bit of an issue, but I don't mind walking a bit if I know an area is congested. I actually ENJOY riding in traffic. It's like playing a real live video game... only for keeps. :D

The Nimmanhamin area is busy in the evening, but there are ways around the few busy spots once you know the back routes.

The circle highways and one way roads actually work quite well and it's kind of fun negotiating through the city.

I STILL say that people should walk more and ride or drive less. You see much more that way. I remember the first time I tried to find Tuskers and didn't know where it was. As it turned out I had ridden right by it hundreds of times, but because I'm always paying attention to traffic I seldom notice any of the surroundings... other than general landscape.

I agree with you Ian. I loved living in the Old City because I could easily walk everywhere. I walked to work, I walked to Sunday Walking street, to restaurants and 7-11's. But we drove when going to robinson, the in-laws (only a short trip to Prince Royal area). Walking, Thai food, and a healthy dose of spite helped me lose a lot of weight my first time in Thailand haha.

I live around the Nimmenheimen area. I love being in town. But, i find i can adapt to most places, just not very big cities. I prefer a "town" feel, and Chiang Mai has that. Ive also lived rurally in other countries, and a short spell out of town Mae Rim way. I like the fact so many things are close at hand. Particularly if i just want to pop out for a bit, or go for a nice coffee. Its also great if i go for a night out, everything so close and no problems getting transport or driving back (i dont drink). If i feel like heading out, a short drive away takes me onto the highway, where i can go to somewhere like Huay Tung Tao, or up doi Suthep...or further out if i am in the mood. As for driving in town, I like the feeling of slipping through the traffic (granted its easier for bikes!). A friend described the traffic like a stream flowing through rocks. Dont fight the natural stream, just go with the flow. In some ways maybe im lucky, because just about all of my driving experience has been in Thailand, so my driving "skills" have been learned here. Heaven help me if i have to drive in the west!

Sorry my first post had to be deleted, but it was nothing I said... and there was justification. Great to see Eek hard at work. :)
:D

Nimmenheimen area is where I head to get my salad fix at A Salad Concept (soi 13). I'm addicted to that place and therefore it's worth the drive in from San Sai. Other than that, I'm in town to workout and swim. Therefore, it's almost daily that I make the commute.

Live in Mae Jo, work in town 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. When I am off, I try to avoid going into town and stick with the Rimping/Carrefour/Big C type places. Do go to Number 1 Bar on a thursday night as my dog likes the attention he gets there!

Sidenote: I agree with Ian about missing so much when you are driving (bike or car) and have lost track of the times I have had the following conversation with the missus:

Me: wow, never seen that place before, must be new?

Mrs Pikey: bah, you never look, that's been there for xxx long!

Me: I am too busy looking at the road to notice stuff at the sides all the time.

To be fair, she can and does drive a bike and the truck but as long as I am sober, I prefer to be the one behind the wheel and therefore in charge of my own fate :)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Nimmenheimen area is where I head to get my salad fix at A Salad Concept (soi 13). I'm addicted to that place and therefore it's worth the drive in from San Sai. Other than that, I'm in town to workout and swim. Therefore, it's almost daily that I make the commute.

Salad Concept is great! In fact..I feel a late lunch coming on...

Live in Mae Jo, work in town 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. When I am off, I try to avoid going into town and stick with the Rimping/Carrefour/Big C type places. Do go to Number 1 Bar on a thursday night as my dog likes the attention he gets there!

Stop doing that!!!!! :D I want all the attention for myself!! :)

Hey guys,

Whenever I am in CM, I love living close by in the old city area. It is more than just the convenience of having so much within walknig distance though - I also like the feel/atmosphere of it. I can understand why, though, when many of you who have lived in CM for many years would be a bit jaded and thus prefer to live in areas outside the city where it is less hectic.

For me though, it is just a matter of jumping on the scooter and heading out of the city if I need a change of scenery and a bit of fresh air for a few hours. Like eek, one of the parts I love most about Chiang Mai is that small city/large town feel it has about it.

Not too many better places than CM to live in the world if you ask me. A short time in a generic, over-regulated western city will soon make one realise that - just my opinion of course :)

Hi All,

My first post here. I've enjoyed the forum for quite some time as I plan on coming to CM next winter, Nov. thru April. Have wanted to do this for years and now finaly will. This thread is interesting to me as I have wondered about where I should look for a place to live. I'd like to rent a small apartment for the time I'm there but have a limited budget. I've seen small furnished apartments around CM for $200 -250 U.S. which is what I'm hoping for. But I'd really like to live "in town" , in the old town as I really like that kind of environment and like walking. I'm hoping for a small apartment rather than a hotel as I love to cook and want some kind of kitchen. Is it possible to find this kind of housing in the inner city? TIA for any info.

Hi All,

My first post here. I've enjoyed the forum for quite some time as I plan on coming to CM next winter, Nov. thru April. Have wanted to do this for years and now finaly will. This thread is interesting to me as I have wondered about where I should look for a place to live. I'd like to rent a small apartment for the time I'm there but have a limited budget. I've seen small furnished apartments around CM for $200 -250 U.S. which is what I'm hoping for. But I'd really like to live "in town" , in the old town as I really like that kind of environment and like walking. I'm hoping for a small apartment rather than a hotel as I love to cook and want some kind of kitchen. Is it possible to find this kind of housing in the inner city? TIA for any info.

You're in luck, because most affordable apartments are downtown. And like you mention yourself, if you're new here (and/or without wheels) then it makes a load of sense to live in the downtown area of your choice.

Actual serviced apartments or condominiums are not very common inside the moat, but there are some. This type is a lot more common in the general university area, say Nimmanhaemin and sois off Suthep Rd and Huay Kaew Rd and the Canal Road.

I agree with you though, the old town area inside the moat has the most character; I'm sure you can dig up something that doesn't break the bank and is comfortable enough.

Hi All,

You're in luck, because most affordable apartments are downtown. And like you mention yourself, if you're new here (and/or without wheels) then it makes a load of sense to live in the downtown area of your choice.

Actual serviced apartments or condominiums are not very common inside the moat, but there are some. This type is a lot more common in the general university area, say Nimmanhaemin and sois off Suthep Rd and Huay Kaew Rd and the Canal Road.

I agree with you though, the old town area inside the moat has the most character; I'm sure you can dig up something that doesn't break the bank and is comfortable enough.

Thanks, Winnie. That's encouraging info.

I live in the Nimm area with a Doi Suthep view and ....2 min. walk to Salad Concept, yum!

But I hope to find a house a bit more quieter about 10-15 km from the center.

But to start a life in CM this (as-I-call) yuppie-area is great, very convenient.

I paid $300 usd for an unfurnished 4 story town house that had aircons. So I know you can find a nice furnished apartment for 200.

But you have to look really hard. I searched for a place with a kitchen as well and after 5 days I gave up.

Maybe with help of an real estate agency, but I didn't come far by asking and driving around by myself.

I paid $300 usd for an unfurnished 4 story town house that had aircons. So I know you can find a nice furnished apartment for 200.

But you have to look really hard. I searched for a place with a kitchen as well and after 5 days I gave up.

Maybe with help of an real estate agency, but I didn't come far by asking and driving around by myself.

Okay, thanks. That info is also helpful. An agent may be the way to go.

I'm very very near you and have a kitchen. But it's ... no stoves allowed! Found it via TV classifieds. Currently hot as hel_l, costs me 50b just to have the aircon on for 4 hours in the afternoon.

If you know Thai or have someone to translate it's easier to find a place. Really you just have to be able distinguish the words sale or rent. Then if you can speak it fairly well you can call up and rent. My wife and I simple drove around the area we wanted and even asked locals who were out walking.

I'm very very near you and have a kitchen. But it's ... no stoves allowed! Found it via TV classifieds. Currently hot as hel_l, costs me 50b just to have the aircon on for 4 hours in the afternoon.

Mmm.. this is interesting...a place with kitchen at Nimm. Can you share with us how much you pay for your apartment? (studio?)

But a kitchen with no stoves? Euhm...so it is more of a pantry?

If you know Thai or have someone to translate it's easier to find a place. Really you just have to be able distinguish the words sale or rent. Then if you can speak it fairly well you can call up and rent. My wife and I simple drove around the area we wanted and even asked locals who were out walking.

I will ask my Thai teacher to write "rent" in Thai so I can search for the same Thai signs in the streets.

Mmm.. this is interesting...a place with kitchen at Nimm. Can you share with us how much you pay for your apartment? (studio?)

But a kitchen with no stoves? Euhm...so it is more of a pantry?

I will ask my Thai teacher to write "rent" in Thai so I can search for the same Thai signs in the streets.

rent - เช่า

House for rent - บ้านเช่า

I use thai-language to help with my reading and writing >_< Because compared to my speaking, they're grade levels apart....

Sometimes the traffic can be very bad in Chiang Mai where I live in the city, and I'm not that far from the airport...

Cows_004.sized.jpg

Cows_007.sized.jpg

And, parking in China town is always at a premium.

China_town_market_4.sized.jpg

China_town_market_3.sized.jpg

Chiang_Mai_market_4.jpg

And I'm forced to go back to my 5-star hotel to wait until the traffic clears

Paradise_Resort_3.jpg

Blackartemis, thank you!!

Ian, great pictures! The city with a country side, this is exactly what I like about CM.

Btw, I find traffic in CM very very do-able, nothing to complaint about.

Bye! The Sunday walking street is waiting for me!