Can't Install My Edge 3g Modem With Windows 7

ThailandLovr

I just bought a new Compaq CQ-40 notebook then had an independent tech install Windows 7.

I haven't been able to get my Edge 3G modem to install. I receive a "c:\Windows\v\autosetup.vbs Line 10 Char 1 "The requested operation requires elevation"

Code 800702E4 Source: WshShell.Exec

Did I make a big mistake getting Windows 7 instead of XP? Or maybe the tech screwed something up during the setup of my system?

Thank you.

Well I am not an expert so I am sure someone will give you a better reply. It seems that 'operation requires elevation' usually means that it can only be installed by the 'administrator'. Presumably your tech people have made themselves 'administrator' and you a 'user' of your own PC. (They tend to do this to make themselves feel important.)

You might be able to cancel this feature and/or log in as 'admin' by going start, control panel, user accounts. On the other hand they may have been really annoying and passworded your access as administrator in which case they will either have to give you the password or come round and solve the 'problem' themself probably mentioning the need to 'sort out bios conflicts'.

This is actually part of the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows Vista that controls the program execution as normal user, administrator or other user types with different access control. You will get this prompt because that program will need to be run as administrator, so the quick way to fix it is re-run by right clicking the program and select Run as administrator.

I have found the same situation in Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

This is actually part of the User Account Control (UAC) feature of Windows Vista that controls the program execution as normal user, administrator or other user types with different access control. You will get this prompt because that program will need to be run as administrator, so the quick way to fix it is re-run by right clicking the program and select Run as administrator.

Hope that helps.

MSPain

Great MSP, that got my driver loaded! I haven't got the modem itself working quite yet, but I think AIS is down because it says "connect unsuccessfully". I had on the first time tried achieved a successful connect, but not since. I'll post again when all is ok. Still trying to figure out Windows 7 about internet connections, as I also use a phone line dialup sometimes. Oh, BTW, when a program is minimized, where is the icon for restore? Don't see it on the bar below. Thanks

Hope that helps.

MSPain

Great MSP, that got my driver loaded! I haven't got the modem itself working quite yet, but I think AIS is down because it says "connect unsuccessfully". I had on the first time tried achieved a successful connect, but not since. I'll post again when all is ok. Still trying to figure out Windows 7 about internet connections, as I also use a phone line dialup sometimes. Oh, BTW, when a program is minimized, where is the icon for restore? Don't see it on the bar below. Thanks

The unsuccessful connect could be a variety of things. I don't have many problems with signals where I have tried my AIS GPRS in Chiang Mai. It could be, as you say, that they are "down" I guess. I would first check the settings for the modem and make sure they are what they should be, including connect to ONLY the signal you want to connect to (GPRS or 3G).

For you question of the minimized program (in Windows 7) .... I am using the WiFi modem right now, however, I think that when I use the usb modem and if I minimize the AIS 3G program, it does not show on the taskbar even though it is running. If I double click like opening the program, it brings the dialogue box back up.

The part aboug figuring out internet connections: even though AIS 3G is listed in my internet connections, I connect by opening the AIS SUPER 3G program, NOT by going to CONNECTIONS and choosing it.

And now back to your unsuccessful connecting....... after checking that the settings are correct, you can go to the STATISTICS tab and see what is there. Also, try to CHECK BALANCE and see if that gives you any information.

As I mentioned, I am in Chiang Mai. From the posts I see on forums it seems to me that there is a big difference with signals, etc., between Chiang Mai and Bangkok on AIS.

MSPain

MSP and the others:

I got to thinking maybe my Edge modem was flaky (made by go3G - whose website is in Chinese! :=( or its driver was faulty on Win 7

So I went out and bought the AIS 3G Aircard E1552. What a difference! The sucker installed right up according to the written instructions, plus the management program is great, far more thorough than the crap one I had before.

I downloaded a large file and it seems to be much faster also, though I haven't run a comparison because I still can't get the old one to work reliably.

There are a few goonies though: The tray icon for Eject Media isn't always there, and when it is it doesn't give the "Safe to Remove Device" message mentioned in the writeup. Also, disconnecting and reconnecting sometimes causes a management program hang requiring reboot. No big deal, I just avoid that.

I really like the signal strength indicator on the management menu. Today a few time I got a dropped carrier, thinking it was my pc settings or driver problems but once I noticed there was an indicator, I realized the little electronic dictionary I had sitting next to the Aircard modem has somehow causing my signal to get weak or lost altogether. I moved the device away and the signal strength went back up, and no more problems. What a relief! Never would have thought that would have been a problem.

Hope other folks learn something from all this.

Forgot to say it appears my modem may be connecting to AIS at 2G not 3G. The modem light should be blue for 3G or cyan for 3G+, but mine is green for 2G. So it appears AIS doesn't transmit in 3G yet? If true, why am I not surprised :-(

Hello.

Glad you got it to work.

As far as I know, AIS only has 3G in Chiang Mai. On their web site they had maps showing other areas, however, from what I understand, they never were approved to transmit anywhere except Chiang Mai.

I have found on both my usb modem (AIS) and my WiFi modem (AIS/GSM) that I have to set the options top pick up only the type of signal I am working with, i.e., 3G or GPRS. If I don't, then the signal drops trying to jump between 3G and 2.5G. I don't think AIS has 3G outside of Chiang Mai, however, it could be that the modem detects a 3G signal and tries to connect, then determines it is not the AIS signal and jumps back to 2/2.5G. At any rate, if you now have the AIS dongle, I would suggest setting the options to connect to only the signal you are working with. I don't know or don't remember where you are, so I can't say which one to use.

I have a Vista 32 computer and a Windows 7 computer. The Vista 32 computer works to eject the usb device - Windows 7 does not work that way all the time. I have found that I can just take the dongle out and everything seems to be ok. However, when I do that I unload the interface program and reload it to use the dongle again. I have had good luck with my Windows 7 (it came installed on the computer) and I like it.

MSPain

Good luck!

Thanks Abrak, I did as you said. Unfortunately my user account was listed as administrator -- so it must be something other than that.

when installing, try right clicking and installing as admin, you may be admin already, but this often helps.

ts

Forgot to say it appears my modem may be connecting to AIS at 2G not 3G. The modem light should be blue for 3G or cyan for 3G+, but mine is green for 2G. So it appears AIS doesn't transmit in 3G yet? If true, why am I not surprised :-(

Hello.

Glad you got it to work.

As far as I know, AIS only has 3G in Chiang Mai. On their web site they had maps showing other areas, however, from what I understand, they never were approved to transmit anywhere except Chiang Mai.

I have found on both my usb modem (AIS) and my WiFi modem (AIS/GSM) that I have to set the options top pick up only the type of signal I am working with, i.e., 3G or GPRS. If I don't, then the signal drops trying to jump between 3G and 2.5G. I don't think AIS has 3G outside of Chiang Mai, however, it could be that the modem detects a 3G signal and tries to connect, then determines it is not the AIS signal and jumps back to 2/2.5G. At any rate, if you now have the AIS dongle, I would suggest setting the options to connect to only the signal you are working with. I don't know or don't remember where you are, so I can't say which one to use.

I have a Vista 32 computer and a Windows 7 computer. The Vista 32 computer works to eject the usb device - Windows 7 does not work that way all the time. I have found that I can just take the dongle out and everything seems to be ok. However, when I do that I unload the interface program and reload it to use the dongle again. I have had good luck with my Windows 7 (it came installed on the computer) and I like it.

MSPain

Good luck!

Ok, but please advise how I set the modem to connect to only a desired signal? Couldn't find a way to do that within the AIS Super G3 program. BTW, I am in Lopburi, about 2 hrs N of BKK. Thanks for your help.

Hello.

Glad you got it to work.

MSPain

Good luck!

Ok, but please advise how I set the modem to connect to only a desired signal? Couldn't find a way to do that within the AIS Super G3 program. BTW, I am in Lopburi, about 2 hrs N of BKK. Thanks for your help.

For the AIS Super 3G usb modem it is in the TOOLS > OPTIONS > NETWORK dialog area. I set mine to connet to GSM ONLY. If I use my usb modem for 3G (I don't anymore because I have the WiFi modem and a different sim for that) then I would set the NETWORK to WCDMA ONLY. You may have different networks for some reason I am unaware of. The point is to connect to either GPRS or CDMA *ONLY*. If you leave it set to a *PREFERRED* setting, it can jump between the networks as I mentioned before.

If you call AIS support (1175 or *1175 <I forget if the star is needed>) they will either give you this information or have a technician call you back and they would have you set the modems this way. By calling it would take longer because normally it is someone taking your information and passing it on to a technician who then has to call you back.

I am not a good communicator, so I hope I have made this clear enough to understand.

A couple more things that make a world of difference:

Where the modem is located makes a difference. The modem is receiving a radio signal. Things like walls, metal, electrical appliances/equipment affect the radio signal. I moved my modem only about 1 meter and it fixed my low signal and speed.

The network settings in your computer (along with the equipment in the computer) make a difference in how fast ANY internet connection is. Some manufacturers use better equipment and setup their operating systems to handle network traffic better than others. I use a network settings program to set the network settings EVERYTIME I connect to the internet. To some degree in Windows Vista and absolute in Windows 7, Windows itself changes the network settings to what it wants them to be. Another world of difference in download/upload speed for me. As I said, this is with every internet connection, not specific to cellular technology run internet.

More good luck to you.

MSPain

Again, I wish you good luck.

• 1 month later...