Motorbike Car Registration (tuk Tuk)

I know this seems like a daft question but I am making an impulse buy on a tuk tuk. Taking delivery on my holiday in a 2 weeks time. How long will it take to register it and get plates so I can legally drive it on the road. It will be registered in Thai name. Reason I ask here is because it is a surprise and I want to be able to drive it while I am on holiday. :D

I am aware of the pitfalls of registering things in other peoples name etc in terms of ooops I might not own it next month :D

If I get it on 19 june will i be able to register and drive it within 24 hours. :o:D

A friend of mine has a tuk-tuk. When he tried to register it and pay 'road tax' he was refused on the grounds that he didn't have a licence (taxi?) to drive a tuk-tuk. He explained that he would not be using it as a taxi but to no avail. Six months later he is still driving it without registration.

A friend of mine has a tuk-tuk. When he tried to register it and pay 'road tax' he was refused on the grounds that he didn't have a licence (taxi?) to drive a tuk-tuk. He explained that he would not be using it as a taxi but to no avail. Six months later he is still driving it without registration.

Thanks for the post. That seems to agree with all information I am finding :D . Even the person making it :D Even supplies insurance. As I have to go through 2 police "checkpoints" everytime I go into town and back I will post my experiences. Will it be Baht or jail hopefully not he latter.

Does your friend drive it in "tourist" area such as Pattaya or "upcountry" as is my intention :o