Chiang Mai 6 Months

Yenrac

Your question is too open-ended. Are you alone? do you want to drink yourself under the table every night? Do you want to explore other areas of Thailand? Use public transport? Rent a car? Hotel? Rent apartment? Language study? If you want meaingful replies you need to specify how you want to spend your time and others can advise the cost of that lifestyle.

When you do figure out what you want to budget, double it if you intend to meet a Thai woman.

They eat. A lot. if you are here for just six months, sounds like you have a job to go back to... so go wild..

50k is more than enough. of course there are folk who spend a lot more, golfing, shagging etc... but it all depends on what you like to do...

Maybe not in Bangkok, but here... easy.

the biggest cost is of course lodging, and there is NO SHORTAGE of that. You might be able to wangle a 5 month contract if you spend a month looking, then you get a real bargain. Check forum sponsors and sites like: http://www.mrroomfinder.com/

Edited by whiterussian

The place to reduce your costs is housing. Get out of hotel and rent an apartment. A very decent place should cost no more than 10000 baht/month. Check out the food courts and the street food, don't just eat at the tourist spots. So you can do very nicely for food for say, 200 baht/day. Thus food and lodging 16,000 baht per month, leaving 34,000 baht i.e. just about 1000 baht each and every day for good-times. If you cannot have a great time with that you need counseling.

yenrac.

re .... I have a budget of 50,000 baht a month

you should live well on that here but dont #iss it all up the wall or lend ANY MONEY !

to a thai OR a ferang and you will have a great time and go home happy : )

dave2

Yenrak, that is exactly what I do. I get a triple entry tourist visa that allows me 3 separate 60 day periods. That means I only have to go out of the country twice... if I time my exits well. I stay pretty much within the 50,000 baht you mentioned.

I stay in a nice Thai hotel that I only pay about 4000 baht a month. The only part depends on how much electricity I use. It has a TV and a small fridge.

I eat Thai food most every day with two or three western meals a week. I supplement that with fruit. I eat well, but not extravagently. You can pay anywhere from 30 baht a meal to over 300 baht depending on what you eat and where you eat. You can usually get a hamburger for around 100 baht. I can have a nice big breakfast in a German hotel/restaurant for about 120 baht: eggs, sausages, potatoes, juice, coffee and toast.

If you like to drink then buy your booze at one of the many 7-11 stores. It's much cheaper than the bars.

Ladies are my only real expense and you can budget for that.

Then, you will want to travel a bit. Expect to pay about 2000 baht to travel by air between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, and a bit over double that to fly down to the Phuket/Krabi area. Bus travel is cheap, but very tiring.

I went to Chiang Mai soon after I arrived in Thailand and lived there for a year.

I discovered a few things. 1. The more Thai I spoke the more fun I had and the less money I spent.

2. If your sexual orientation is flexible Chiang Mai doubles in fun. Or maybe triples if you are really flexible.

3. It is better to find a woman outside of Chiang Mai and bring her to Chiang Mai. That way you are both tourists and discovering things for the first time. If you don’t hit it off with the woman you can send her home and you haven’t ruined your nest in Chiang Mai. Almost any Thai woman will be happy to vacation in Chiang Mai especially if it includes Loy Krathong. Plus you can isolate the woman from other men and have her tested at the hospital and save yourself some nasty surprises. Remember incubation period is about 3 months. If you find a bar girl who doesn’t look like a bar girl no one will know you have a bar girl and your options for socializing in Chiang Mai will be increased. What does a “not bar girl” look like? Tall, slender, light skinned. If she speaks Lao as her primary language she will not pass. And as crass as this may sound this is your ticket to meeting other women. You will only meet beautiful women if you already have one.

4. Before you book an apartment find out a little about Chiang Mai and what you want to do. I discovered the place for me was around the Central department store. Outside of downtown but close and close to most of the restaurants and entertainment places that I liked. As opposed to finding an apartment and then finding things to do around your apartment.

5. Find some transportation that you trust. I met a family that owned a car and tuk tuk. Whenever I wanted to go on a trip one of the family members drove my party.

6. Get acquainted with the locals quickly. They can show you the ropes and you won’t spend too much time spinning your wheels.

7. If you are heterosexual try and not be homophobic. Be gay friendly. There are a whole lot of really nice gay people living in Chiang Mai and they are an invaluable resource for dining out.

300,000 baht divided by 180 days (average) = 1,667 baht per day.

You'll get by but nothing fancy. Your tight budget is similar to that of a low end retiree or about double that of a pseudo English teacher, they manage to survive. Good luck.

Mark tells the truth. Pay attention to everything he said; there are some nuggets worth thinking about. My best suggestion is to take an inexpensive room (300 to 500 baht a night) in the center of Chiang Mai for the first month. Spend the first week walking to get a good lay of the land and choose what you might like. It's all there if you look for it. Then, Rent a cheap, second hand motorbike (about 2000 baht a month) and tour around. Take it REAL easy on those scooters until you understand how little regard that Thais have for life. You can then venture further afield and choose an area with all the amenities that suit your life style.

The place to reduce your costs is housing. Get out of hotel and rent an apartment. A very decent place should cost no more than 10000 baht/month. Check out the food courts and the street food, don't just eat at the tourist spots. So you can do very nicely for food for say, 200 baht/day. Thus food and lodging 16,000 baht per month, leaving 34,000 baht i.e. just about 1000 baht each and every day for good-times. If you cannot have a great time with that you need counseling.

..good advice and a sensible breakdown..

I haven't read where Yenrac says he's a dude! All the stuff about girls applies to boys too, hopefully.

You are also suggesting Yenrac is a male, Toolz by using the pronoun "he" which, in the English language refers to males.

We won't mention what similar sounding words mean in some other tongues.

Pedant.

That is $1562.50 at 32 TB to $1.00 USD.. or figure about $50.00 a day..

And again like the second post said all depends on you...

Do you drink a lot, eat a lot, and chase after young very pretty bar girls??

I saw a girl at the "FOXY LADY BAR" in Chiang Mai that was extremely stunning.. I asked the owner (personal friend for over 35 years) what was her story and he smiled and said she is not cheap.. Then I say another plain jane at Kad Farang walk street that cost me nothing but a good dinner.. at a Thai noodle shop.. about 50 baht each.. You get what you pay for.

The "Raming Lodge" is nice in the penthouse.. but some places here are just awesome.. The Four seasons is nice.. big money!

It depends on you.. You only live once so do it in style and love it.. As a back backer that would be more than enough but today.. I spend that every two weeks to feed my dogs.. It cost me about 100,000 a month to just get by here..

David at the "DUKES" pays that each day in wages... The resort by my house wants 3000 baht per night.. 500 baht a month to use the spa..pool included. Last night I spent 35 baht for Pad Thai (water was free) and the night before at Miguel's 250 baht for chips, chicken salad and a bottle of water..

Thailand is cheap and again it can be bloody expensive...

$1500 is chump change.. pocket money a days spending to my buddy Nick Cage.. (He told me he now gets $40 mil per movie) but to me $1500 is two weeks cost in feeding my dogs.. All depends on you...and what you want.. When i visit Hawaii I rent a RR and style it.. When I am here I drive a old beat up Ford pickup..

If you are asking such a broad group of people what they think you will get for $1500 a month..you will get all sorts of answers.. Why even waste your time?? Just get here and spend it and the locals will love you for doing it..

You'll get by but nothing fancy. Your tight budget is similar to that of a low end retiree or about double that of a pseudo English teacher, they manage to survive. Good luck.

what. no bites :)

just one thing to mention.you said you have a triple entry tr visa.so you only have to leave thailand once NOT twice if you stay 6 month.each 60 day entry can be extended in chiang mai for 30 days and costs 1900 baht!

aaa...i live here with wife,child and 2 dogs in a nice house with garden 10 minutes from the city center and need 25000 baht a month.enough for us!

just came back from the city and had dinner with my wife and paid 45 baht for everything including drinkin water and it was delicious as always!

so with 50000 baht you should have a real nice time!enjoy!

what. no bites :D

Pity isn't it? I was only hoping for a little friendly banter. :)

what. no bites :D

Pity isn't it? I was only hoping for a little friendly banter. :)

But as you well know, Bill, some people don't WANT to be friendly. I love friendly banter. It makes me laugh and laughter is good.

Mr forbes I find your posts worrying. I get it that you are still able to have sex. Good for you. Try and do it with people closer your own age. The fact that all the people you are having sex with are young enough to be your grandchildren Is disconcerting and that you are paying them equally so. I personally dont like to see old men shagging youngish girls no matter how poor or disenfranchised they are. I mean how low do you go age wise? Have you always had this prediliction. If it were me id keep it to myself. From their body language they certainly arent very proud of being in the slight bit associated with you.

Thai people are definetaly not admiring you for your ability to...............have money.

This is exactly what they ALL think about you while theyre taking your cash.

เฒ่าหัวงู [tâo hŭa ngoo] [N] dirty old man

Def. คนแก่หรือคนมีอายุมากที่มีเล่ห์เหลี่ยมหรือกลอุบายหลอกเด็กผู้หญิงในทางกามารมณ์.

[kon gàe rĕu kon mee aa-yóo mâak têe mee lây-lìam rĕu gon òo-baai lòk dèk pôo yĭng nai taang gaa-maa-rom]

Think on and dont come back

LOL!!! Awesome.. It was inevitable that eventually you'd catch one, Ian. :D

Incredible. Ageism seems alive and well. :)

Anyway, I aspire to be a Thao Hua Ngoo some day... Or rather, to keep in check with my persona, an Old Buffalo eating Young Grass. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai