Question About Ps2/games

cooL_guY_corY

Hey If i bring in a playstation2 from thats NTSC from NA ( iam from canada) Will i be able to use it in Thailand? i know thailand is on PAL but when i lived there for a year and a bit and it seemed like every tv i saw was able to switch between PAL NTSC and Secam? thanks for anyhelp

coRY

Pretty much all modern TVs are multi-system, they can switch automatically between NTSC and PAL. Thailand's electrical system is 220V, and the US is 110V,so you'll either have to get the PS2's electrical system modded (recommended) or buy a transformer. You'll also need to get it chipped to play copied games, since there are relatively few places that sell original games.

Gamecubes are very rare here, along with Xboxes.

The slim PS2 is going for around $210 here, chipped, with no memcard and 1 original joypad.

Hi,

you need a currency converter (not sure if spelled right), thats a usual part, which you can use for multiple devices.

Than anyhow you need a modchip in your PS2 to be able to play local games, and if you invest in a more expensive one which supports "force PAL" than you get rid of the problems with the videoformat.

But I think most TVs here are anyway multi-format.

Modchips you can get at www.psxtune.com

h90

Hey If i bring in a playstation2 from thats NTSC from NA ( iam from canada)  Will i be able to use it in Thailand? i know thailand is on PAL but when i lived there for a year and a bit and it seemed like every tv i saw was able to switch between PAL NTSC and Secam?  thanks for anyhelp

coRY

Hi,

you need a currency converter (not sure if spelled right), thats a usual part, which you can use for multiple devices.

Than anyhow you need a modchip in your PS2 to be able to play local games, and if you invest in a more expensive one which supports "force PAL" than you get rid of the problems with the videoformat.

h90

Hey If i bring in a playstation2 from thats NTSC from NA ( iam from canada)  Will i be able to use it in Thailand? i know thailand is on PAL but when i lived there for a year and a bit and it seemed like every tv i saw was able to switch between PAL NTSC and Secam?  thanks for anyhelp

coRY

Cool , thats good about the multi system stuff. I was gonna mod a ps2 here and bring it back, when i was in Phuket like 3 months ago Ps2's (not the slim ones) were like 14000 baht [modded], 210.00 American i am guessing eh? Thats a pretty good price.. hmm, would be great to have a ps2, i used to go to the Thai place with like 5 ps2's and 5 tvs.. and 30 5 year old thai kids.

thanks for the help!

It can be a bit cheaper to get the PS2 in the US and then have it modded (for power) and chipped (for copied games) here at a local store. Not much cheaper, but cheaper. The price you saw was probably at some retail mall. $210 is for places like MBK and chinatown, where the prices are more realistic. I saw the PSP sold at a nearby B2S (stationary store) for $700 (not a typo).

one point I forgot: If I remember right the new slimline PStwo has an external power supply which can handle everything from 100-250 Volt.

But you should check that, because I am not sure if that info is for every country the same.

Hi,

h90

coRY

Cool , thats good about the multi system stuff. I was gonna mod a ps2 here and bring it back, when i was in Phuket like 3 months ago Ps2's (not the slim ones) were like 14000 baht [modded], 210.00 American i am guessing eh? Thats a pretty good price.. hmm, would be great to have a ps2, i used to go to the Thai place with like 5 ps2's and 5 tvs.. and 30 5 year old thai kids.

thanks for the help!

I saw the PSP sold at a nearby B2S (stationary store) for $700 (not a typo).

That $700 seems ridiculous, since I saw it at 15,000 baht in MBK, and that was before it came out in the US.

Good thing that the PSP doesn't have region encoding for the games (although I believe it does for the movies on UMD).

I would definitely recommend buying your PS2 here. No hassles with the voltage or the display standard - and buy it at the right place, and it's already modded to multi-region so will handle your games from the US.

ATTENTION: PS2 bought in USA and PS2 NTSC version (for example Japanese version), can not be modded to play PAL DVD movies (no matter what country code). But PAL PS2 (I think Hongkong model, but not sure) can be modified to play all king of DVD movies.

And attention the slimline PStwo tends to broken laser, so warranty is important!

Michael

I saw the PSP sold at a nearby B2S (stationary store) for $700 (not a typo).

That $700 seems ridiculous, since I saw it at 15,000 baht in MBK, and that was before it came out in the US.

Good thing that the PSP doesn't have region encoding for the games (although I believe it does for the movies on UMD).

I would definitely recommend buying your PS2 here. No hassles with the voltage or the display standard - and buy it at the right place, and it's already modded to multi-region so will handle your games from the US.