Drive From Chiangmai To Trat

sunnyhor

Hi,

I was planning to drive from Chiangmai to Trat(Ko Chang). It's because there isn't any direct flight from Chiangmai. Please advise!! Anyone had the experience of driving there can share? Thank you for reading!

Edited by sunnyhor

Hi Sunny,

I have frequently driven down from Chiang Mai to Pattaya or Rayong - and once on to Trat and ferry across to Koh Chang. Perhaps this will give you a guideline.

For a start, if there is not more than one driver, then you will have to plan to make an overnight stop somewhere. I usually drive Pattaya or Rayong non-stop, but am spelled for a time driving by my wife.

Route:

Highway 11 Superhighway Chiang Mai - Lampang at 100KPH 1 hour

Highway 1 Lampang - Tak 2 hours

Tak - Kamphaeng Phet 1 hour

Kamphaeng Phet - Nakhon Sawan 2 hours

Nakhon Sawan - Ayyutaya 2 hours

Just follow the road signs

As you are approaching Ayyuthaya, as John says, look out for the Ring Road number 9 - East bound (left) which will take you around Bangkok (follow the airport signs) This will drop you at the doorstep of the airport Suvanabhumi on Highway 7 - 1 hour

Continue South following signs for Pattaya on highway 7

The Ring Road and parts of Higway 7 are toll way so prepared to have some small demonination notes or change 30 baht per toll

But you can speed up to 120 kph

Suvanabhumi - Pattaya - 1 hour

You will come to a T-junction - follow Highway 36 signposted Rayong which is a left turn

Pattaya - Rayong 1 hour

As you approach Rayong - look out for signs to Chantaburi ( a left hand turn) on Highway 3

Then straight on to Chantaburi and on to Trat on Highway 3 Maybe 3-4 hours

Before Trat there is a right hand turn to the car ferry (sorrry can't be more specific but it might be sign-posted by now)

From memory the car ferry war 400 baht (return) per vehicle.

There are western loos at the service centre on top of the mountain between CM and Lampang

At the service centre 50 KMs south of Nakon Sawan

and the service centre 20 Kms south of Suvanabhumi

Other than that - brazen it out and use the PTT filling stations and use the loo for people with disabilities (which I have and I am sure no one would mind) which is at most PTT/7-11 gas stations

Suggestions for overnight

Khampaeng Phet - Navara Hotel or

Rayong - Condotel Hotel on the beach

PM me if you need more info

Good luck and have a great holiday

Gladiator

Recently drove back from Ko Chang to CM in one go.  13 hrs from ferry dock to CM.  just under 1100km.  took 2 days to recover from the drive in the pickup.  the worst section is south of  Lampang,  in the dark, the road is broken & at night the road markings are invisible.  Going the other way, you'd have to leave early to make the ferry, I guess.  Better to stay in Rayong, on the beach.  You should make the beach in the afternoon, have next morning on the beach before continuing the journey.  Remember, it's supposed to be a holiday  :)

Recently drove back from Ko Chang to CM in one go. 13 hrs from ferry dock to CM. just under 1100km. took 2 days to recover from the drive in the pickup. the worst section is south of Lampang, in the dark, the road is broken & at night the road markings are invisible. Going the other way, you'd have to leave early to make the ferry, I guess. Better to stay in Rayong, on the beach. You should make the beach in the afternoon, have next morning on the beach before continuing the journey. Remember, it's supposed to be a holiday :)

Thanks for the post mate. I think I change my mind!!! Under 1100km . I can't drive that much. The furthest I'd drive is from Chianmai to Golden triangle. I find for alternative then! Thanks.