Red-Shirts To Intensify Pressure

webfact

Reds to intensify pressure

By The Nation

Published on April 20, 2010

BANGKOK: -- Plan mapped out to remove demonstrators from Rajprasong intersection; Premier Abhisit vows to fight on, but cannot set deadline to end crisis

As the red-shirt protesters promise another day of chaos in the capital to pressure Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva into dissolving Parliament, the security forces are standing guard to protect Silom Road.

The embattled premier, |who refuses to give in to the protesters' demands, said on television yesterday that he was not discouraged and would do his best to solve the crisis, but could not set a deadline.

"I know everyone wants this to end quickly, but those who work have to face many factors," he said. "We have to minimise the damage and do it effectively."

TROOPS, POLICE DEPLOYED

Thousands of troops and police were deployed to secure the business district yesterday as a red-shirt leader announced plans to invade the area. However, the protesters changed their plans when they spotted stern-looking soldiers - some armed with assault rifles, shotguns and pistols - on guard at Silom.

The protesters saw the presence of troops as the government getting ready for a new crackdown, |with red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua saying Silom looked like a war zone.

Another leader, weng Tojirakarn, said the government was treating the red-shirt protesters as if they were national enemies rather than fellow citizens.

"We won't make war, but will struggle peacefully until the end of our lives," he said on the main stage at the Rajprasong. "If the government launched another crackdown, it should prepare for civil war."

The protesters prepared for confrontation by covering the protest site and stage with black plastic webbing, as their guards got |ready a pile of sharpened |bamboo sticks to use as weapons.

Meanwhile, Kwanchai Praipana, a red-shirt leader from Udon Thani, called on supporters across the nation to join the rally by 8am today.

A group of 400 red-shirt protesters in the Northeastern province of Khon Kaen blocked the Friendship Road to stop military officials from travelling to the capital. They also briefly held back some 40 soldiers on their way back to barracks after their Songkran holidays.

Abhisit, meanwhile, said the government needed to remove the red shirts from Rajprasong so life in Bangkok could return to normal. He said the red-shirt leaders were holding two groups of people hostage - the capital's business community and the protesters - for their own political benefit.

The government is planning to compensate those losing financially from the protest, he said, adding that daily-wage earners in the area were the top priority.

The Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situations yesterday mapped out a plan to remove protesters from Rajprasong, said spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd.

The operation would be conducted on a step-by-step basis, from lenient to harsh, according to international standards, he said, adding that soldiers were allowed to carry arms for self-defence.

"We have made it clear that officers will not take any lives, but they have the right to protect themselves," Sansern said.

It is a shame that the protesters are using elderly people, women and children as human shields, he added.

The authorities are insisting that protesters used weapons of war against troops during the April 10 clash, which claimed 25 lives and

injured more than 800 others.

They said "terrorists" had mixed in with the protesters to hurt the security forces, but so far they have not clarified why the number of civilians killed in the violence was so high.

Abhisit said the troops were strictly abiding by the rules of engagement on April 10, but the government would make sure that justice was served on all sides.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sorry to ask a potentially very “blond” question, but is someone able to explain to me why the protestors are free to roam around as they please, why people, food, water etc. can be brought to Rajprasong intersection without problem at all? Why are the protestors controlling road blocks around this are rather than the police? Why aren’t the protestors cut off any supply incl. the freedom to come and go as they please? I still can’t get my head around this… :)

I’m sorry to ask a potentially very “blond” question, but is someone able to explain to me why the protestors are free to roam around as they please, why people, food, water etc. can be brought to Rajprasong intersection without problem at all? Why are the protestors controlling road blocks around this are rather than the police? Why aren’t the protestors cut off any supply incl. the freedom to come and go as they please? I still can’t get my head around this… :)

After you have lived in Thailand you will understand

simple

This is Thailand

I can explain it. Thai's are very peaceful people and they hate confrontation. Haven't you read the guidebooks?

The PM listened and offered elections in 9 months from Now which was very fair. If the minority red shirt protestors had just accepted it. It would have been over last month.

But NO that was not good enough they must have elections within days. Well that's not quite how it works in politics and the agreement for elections in 9 months was fair.

Got to the live ammunition stage now. Well "Som Num Na"

Abhisit has made a complete and utter fool of himself.

The danger is that his refusal to hold an election for fear of getting voted out may result in a split in the army with potentially disatrous consequences.

Oops not correct

The reason I got was he wanted 6 months tso the present hatred would have time to go away an allow fair elections

With all the shy t why would any one want to be PM, unless you wanted the best for Thailand

well you say the glass is half full, while the rest of us says it is half empty

Comments from the poster who uses Clockwork Orange as his avatar and pseudonym...should be taken lightly, it is after all the the title of a film about "the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are rape, ultra-violence and Beethoven" (Not that there is anything wrong with Beethoven)

Edited by quiksilva

The PM listened and offered elections in 9 months from Now which was very fair. If the minority red shirt protestors had just accepted it. It would have been over last month.

But NO that was not good enough they must have elections within days. Well that's not quite how it works in politics and the agreement for elections in 9 months was fair.

Got to the live ammunition stage now. Well "Som Num Na"

Democracy

what the majority of Thai people want

Red shirts we want it, and want it now, they rest of you, who cares

please sir another $1000 baht

The danger is that his refusal to hold an election for fear of getting voted out may result in a split in the army with potentially disatrous consequences.

He is very stubborn , i would agree with you . It is sad , result may be civil war , and army mutinies . And the guy owes his job to a military coup to start with .

Oops not correct

The reason I got was he wanted 6 months tso the present hatred would have time to go away an allow fair elections

With all the shy t why would any one want to be PM, unless you wanted the best for Thailand

He said 9 months , not 6 months . Maybe he changed , his usual behavior .

So do you still think he would respect his word of 6 months elections if the reds withdrew ?

Doubtfull ...

He is very stubborn , i would agree with you . It is sad , result may be civil war , and army mutinies . And the guy owes his job to a military coup to start with .

You got it. In order to cling on to his unelected position, Abhisit is willing to risk splitting the army, which could easily lead to a civil war.

And we should recall that Abhisit's original justification for his unelected grabbing of power was that two people had been killed in the street fighting. He promised reconciliation.

Now that over 20 people have died in exactly the same circumstances, we hear nothing from Abhisit as he cowers in his hole.

He is nothing more than a self-serving hypocrite.

Oops not correct

That is teh reason you got from the government, but the delay tactics and wavering are clearly not working, and are making the situation far worse. Now the army is squaring up for a fight with other army factions and civilians, in downtown Bangkok.

Abhsit was not himself elected freely and fairly, so how on earth does he expect anyone to listen to him when he talks about free and fair elections?

Comments from the poster who uses Clockwork Orange as his avatar and pseudonym...should be taken lightly, it is after all the the title of a film about "the adventures of a young man whose principal interests are rape, ultra-violence and Beethoven" (Not that there is anything wrong with Beethoven)

Wow look who is talkiing! Your avatar shows two sci-fi warlords fighting to the death over a destroyed landscape. Is that your vision of the future?

In any case, I think that you completely missed the point of the film Clockwork Orange - it was a dark commentary of an imaginary dystopian future, where the more society tried to analyse and control itself, the more bereft of morality it became.

And if we start analysing pseudonyms and avatars, then this whole forum becomes completely ridiculous and all the comments arbitrary anyway.

Wow look who is talkiing! Your avatar shows two sci-fi warlords fighting to the death over a destroyed landscape. Is that your vision of the future?

In any case, I think that you completely missed the point of the film Clockwork Orange - it was a dark commentary of an imaginary dystopian future, where the more society tried to analyse and control itself, the more bereft of morality it became.

And if we start analysing pseudonyms and avatars, then this whole forum becomes completely ridiculous and all the comments arbitrary anyway.

Don't sell yourself short, discussing avatars and the like seems right up your alley. Focus now, keep your eye on the big picture and don't get distracted. Quicksilva tends to throw out a few red-shirted herrings just to test you mate.

Avoid the temptation to bite at everyone. :)

that's it - should have put forward 3 months in a 'state of the nation' address - that would have done it

You got it. In order to cling on to his unelected position, Abhisit is willing to risk splitting the army, which could easily lead to a civil war.

And we should recall that Abhisit's original justification for his unelected grabbing of power was that two people had been killed in the street fighting. He promised reconciliation.

Now that over 20 people have died in exactly the same circumstances, we hear nothing from Abhisit as he cowers in his hole.

<snip>

Why are all the RED-farangs so bitter? <snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
Infalammatory and derogatory comments deleted

MY friend CLOCK WORK ORANGE a self-serving hypocrite you must see every day when you look in a mirror

In order to cling on to his elected position, Abhisit is trying to hold the country together, willing to risk splitting the army, which could easily lead to a civil war. and the country go into chaos because the red shirts are not prepared to have fair elections

"Do it now my or not at all" requested by the red shirts is not fair, How many people have died on the roads over Songkran, what are you not protesting cars and motor bikes in Thailand, you would save more lives

Best you go back to the mirror at least you can agree with your self

Edited by ozzieman05

Abhsit was not himself elected freely and fairly, so how on earth does he expect anyone to listen to him when he talks about free and fair elections?

Still beating that dead whore? :D Opps, I meant dead horse. :D .

Hey, don’t let confusing things like facts come into your posting penchant; :) you’re far more interesting when you babble nonsensical stuff. :D

I guess when Samak & Somchai used the same constitution in place now, and nearly the same breakdown of MP’s by party list in the Lower House to form a COALITION of the various political parties and got a majority of MP’s on their side to run the government it was “red business as usual”.

Sadly due to the two previously mentioned PM’s penchants for breaking the law as it is currently written (written well BEFORE either came to office) they got booted. Man go figure, break the law, get kicked out of office, wow the mind wobbles at that travesty of justice.

Given the MP’s which previously supported the redz jumped ship to the Demz side garnering them a majority of MP’s in the Lower House, and thereby the mandate to form and run the government; I guess it’s “cry foul”, “the people didn’t get to vote for PM”, “it’s not fair” or “insert your lame argument here”. :D

Abhisit already said time and again he would dissolve the Lower House and call for elections in a MUCH abbreviated time frame than his government’s full term which last time I checked runs until the end of 2011.

Sadly that just wasn’t good enough for what is clearly a minority of the thai people also known as the “red rabble”. Listening to red radio or the hate rhetoric being spouted on stage, you’d think they speak for every single thai in the frickin’ country, which given an estimated population of 63+ million, they don't by any stretch of the imagination.

As an aside; I just came from Silom and Rajaprasong on a recon mission. I doubt there are even 5000 people at Rajaprasong; most of them are lying in the shade of the buildings, or up on the sky bridge . Very few are under the “protective screening” (read dirt-cheap shade cloth) erected by the red leaders to; and I quote a red shirted guy I talked to down there; “stop the HUNDREDS of government snipers who are stationed in the high buildings just waiting for the command to open fire on the crowd”. OMMFG, I don’t know which is worse, that he told me that, or that he actually believed it. :D

Oops not correct

He said 9 months , not 6 months . Maybe he changed , his usual behavior .

So do you still think he would respect his word of 6 months elections if the reds withdrew ?

Doubtfull ...

I see so you are lucky enough to see the future

After all the information I have read regards the PM i feel if he says 9 months or 6 months yes he would keep his word

if he did not then they would have something to throw at him in Parliment

Oh sorry I see you don't want to do it the correct way

More fun watching blood on the street

Ahhhh another nutcase for the ignore list... they sure do seem to be coming out of the woodwork of late.

Why are all the RED-farangs so bitter? Fresh supply of farm girls cut off?

Why do you always get upset and uptight when someone posts an opinion different to yours ?

Good post :)

Abhisit, much like a lot of the posters here, are absolute hypocrites.

Reds deny distributing stickers promoting Thaksin as president

BANGKOK: -- The red shirts had no involvement in the stickers with a message to promote "New Thai State under President Thaksin Shinawatra", their leader Natthawut Saikua said on Tuesday.

The stickers, with white message on red background, were distributed in public places along Silom Road.

Natthawut urged police to look into the matter and arrest the distributors.

Freedom of speech? Not under the Reds. :)

Edited by Netfan

Good post :)

Abhisit, much like a lot of the posters here, are absolute hypocrites.

The PM has a lot to answer for

Sending the army into an area and closing all the beer bars

seems all the party eyed lady fanciers, are having to spend their time on TV

PM please reopen the bars so we can get back to serious postings

Given the MP's which previously supported the redz jumped ship to the Demz side garnering them a majority of MP's in the Lower House, and thereby the mandate to form and run the government; I guess it's "cry foul", "the people didn't get to vote for PM", "it's not fair" or "insert your lame argument here". :)

Firstly, the tone of your response amounts to little more than childish mocking, as if that somehow makes your argument in any way more valid.

Then, in a long and rambling way, you are saying that you agree with a bunch of corrupt generals kicking out a government that was elected, and replacing it with one that wasn't.

Then, you go on to deny the fact that the reds may actually have a majority, as was proven in two successive elections. Why are you people so afraid to put it to the test - hold an election and then respect the wishes of the people by allowing the people they elect to rule.

If Abhisit is so popular like you seem to think that he is, then what is he afraid of? He can get elected, keep his job, and confound teh reds argument that his position is illegitimate.

Given the MP's which previously supported the redz jumped ship to the Demz side garnering them a majority of MP's in the Lower House, and thereby the mandate to form and run the government; I guess it's "cry foul", "the people didn't get to vote for PM", "it's not fair" or "insert your lame argument here". :)

Firstly, the tone of your response amounts to little more than childish mocking, as if that somehow makes your argument in any way more valid.

Then, in a long and rambling way, you are saying that you agree with a bunch of corrupt generals kicking out a government that was elected, and replacing it with one that wasn't.

Then, you go on to deny the fact that the reds may actually have a majority, as was proven in two successive elections. Why are you people so afraid to put it to the test - hold an election and then respect the wishes of the people by allowing the people they elect to rule.

If Abhisit is so popular like you seem to think that he is, then what is he afraid of? He can get elected, keep his job, and confound teh reds argument that his position is illegitimate.

Good arguement CWO. However he has been PM for awhile now. Why not do the big protest back then? Why now? Nothing to do with 46 Billion Baht?

Can't wait a few more months for an election? The country will still be here I believe at the end of the year. Or is it too many 2012 movies got your team spooked and want to live it up before the world ends?

Ahhhh another nutcase for the ignore list... they sure do seem to be coming out of the woodwork of late.

Why are all the RED-farangs so bitter? Fresh supply of farm girls cut off?

You are not very good at presenting a logical position. If you are ignoring me, then why would you respond with the above post. By responding, you have contradicted yourself, again.

And on to your insult of rural people by your 'farm girls cut off' comment. If you are saying that farm girls are prostitutes, then that is a demographic slur that deserves contempt and no further comment. If you are saying that the red cause is likely to increase the availability of prostitutes, using a demographic slur to somehow reinforce your point, then you are wrong again - the red agenda is to make the rural poor more prosperous, hence this would reduce the availability of prostitutes who may at the moment have no other financial recourse.

You really seem to be a very unpleasant person, who insults instead of debates, and who has no respect for the rural majority of Thai people.