Pattaya Sex Tourists And Visa Changes

george

From Bangkok Post Postbag 2003-11-10:

Thailand blighted by others' discardsRecent complaints by foreigners regarding the raising of visa prices and changes to Thailand's immigration laws bring to mind an incident that occurred between Cuba and the US in 1980.

At the time, Cuban President Fidel Castro, under immense pressure from the international community to let his citizens travel freely in and out of the country, opened up his prisons, pushed the inmates on to ships, and told every thief, drug addict, prostitute, mentally deranged lunatic, rapist and murderer they could leave immediately for America. The US, unfortunately taken in by this despicable act, turned on its TV cameras, opened its doors to the ``political refugees'', and welcomed the ships into Key West, Florida, where a majority remained.

The parallel with Thailand's expat community is obvious to anyone who dares travel around the streets of Pattaya or any of Thailand's other red light areas. Night after night, not only will you see the stereotypical western sex tourist but also those otherwise unemployable expats _ many of whom are married with children _ who are here for no better reason than to have their egos stroked by prostitutes, for cheap debauched sex, to take advantage of Thailand's lax business ethics and regulations, or to engage in some sort of illegal activity. And now they dare to complain that Thailand is tightening its immigration laws.

Under its present lax laws, Thailand could soon become a dumping ground for other countries' scum, if it hasn't already, as was the case in Florida in 1980 and even Australia in the 1700s.

I understand that some married expats in the local community _ and homosexuals in proven longstanding relationships _ are here through a genuine love of the kingdom, and therefore of valuable service to Thai society, but I challenge any embassy to prove other than a large majority of expats living in the kingdom are single and male.

I'm sure Apec delegates must have been rubbing their hands with glee (akin to Castro in 1980) to see so many of their own undesirables flocking around Thailand's coastal resorts and business centres, instead of destroying the moral fabric of their own societies back home.

Brian ``Buster'' Brown

Night after night, not only will you see the stereotypical western sex tourist but also those otherwise unemployable expats

Not only at night - I was staying in Pattaya week before last (family break) at the Hard Rock. I went into a supermarket about 100 yards away (on the corner of two big streets, in a shopping plaza, ground floor).

I was amazed to see the number of expats wandering around mid morning (dozens of them), most old and dishevelled with that spaced-out look about them. I guess the supermarket cafe sold the cheapest coffee around.

It was quite a sorry sight.

Nah, I saw a lot of "scum" beggin in SFO's streets lately.

Not the niciest city on the planet to have a walk, I feel saver here in LOS, incidentally not Pattaya but Chumpon, the most important place in LOS, luckily I was spared from all the idiot APEC stuff, except the Royal barges on TV that is.

You must have gone to TOPS Supermarket.....you see the same guys in there day after day.....its air conditioned...and like you say , cheap beer.......

They Are the 30 baht Plastic flip flops, 60 baht Singha Beer singlet, and 5 year old 50 baht shorts Brigade.....But they do no harm......wonder how they will get on when the new visa laws come into effect......on the other hand ...i guess that they or people like them , are one of the reasons for the new requirements...

• 7 years later...
Night after night, not only will you see the stereotypical western sex tourist but also those otherwise unemployable expats

Not only at night - I was staying in Pattaya week before last (family break) at the Hard Rock. I went into a supermarket about 100 yards away (on the corner of two big streets, in a shopping plaza, ground floor).

I was amazed to see the number of expats wandering around mid morning (dozens of them), most old and dishevelled with that spaced-out look about them. I guess the supermarket cafe sold the cheapest coffee around.

It was quite a sorry sight.

well that is Pattaya

Timely resurrection IMHO. We can see how things have really changed.*

Now the OP mustered a whopping 4 responses way back in 2003. How much further will this thread roll nowadays?

* I mean having direct quotes from the venerable Bangkok Post of course.

Someone has been digging deep and resurrected a seven year old topic. :huh:

Perhaps it was too highlight that in the intervening time, there are no more sex tourists in Pattaya and that it has transformed into a highly desirable family vacation resort travel destination?

either that, or he was bored.

Edited by Buchholz

Someone has been digging deep and resurrected a seven year old topic. :huh:

Perhaps it was too highlight that in the intervening time, there are no more sex tourists in Pattaya and that it has transformed into a highly desirable family vacation resort travel destination?

either that, or he was bored.

Yes I was bored and didn't think this would jump to the top of the list I thought it was dead also. OOPS sory people :rolleyes:

From the OP:

Under its present lax laws, Thailand could soon become a dumping ground for other countries' scum, if it hasn't already, as was the case in Florida in 1980 and even Australia in the 1700s.

I'm surprised no Australian has complained yet. If I can believe the history lessons I had in the Netherlands (and a bit of reading after) most of the 'scum' were just poor people who had broken one of the archaic laws and annoyed the lords of the land. Hardly comparable with the trick Fidel C. pulled.