Apple Says Dont Jailbreak

ThaiLife

Just spotted this ...

Last Modified: April 16, 2010

Article: HT3743

Unauthorized modification of iPhone OS has been a major source of instability, disruption of services, and other issues\\

Summary

This article is about adverse issues experienced by customers who have made unauthorized modifications to the iPhone OS (this hacking process is often called "jailbreaking"). Issues that have been encountered include instability, disruption of services, and compromised security

Products Affected

iPhone, iPod touch, iPad

As designed by Apple, the iPhone OS ensures that the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch operate reliably. Some customers have not understood the risks of installing software that makes unauthorized modifications to the iPhone OS ("jailbreaking") on their iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Customers who have installed software that makes these modifications have encountered numerous problems in the operation of their hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Examples of issues caused by these unauthorized modifications to the iPhone OS have included the following:

Device and application instability: Frequent and unexpected crashes of the device, crashes and freezes of built-in apps and third-party apps, and loss of data.

Unreliable voice and data: Dropped calls, slow or unreliable data connections, and delayed or inaccurate location data.

Disruption of services: Services such as Visual Voicemail, YouTube, Weather, and Stocks have been disrupted or no longer work on the device. Additionally, third-party apps that use the Apple Push Notification Service have had difficulty receiving notifications or received notifications that were intended for a different hacked device. Other push-based services such as MobileMe and Exchange have experienced problems synchronizing data with their respective servers.

Compromised security: Security compromises have been introduced by these modifications that could allow hackers to steal personal information, damage the device, attack the wireless network, or introduce malware or viruses.

Shortened battery life: The hacked software has caused an accelerated battery drain that shortens the operation of an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch on a single battery charge.

Inability to apply future software updates: Some unauthorized modifications have caused damage to the iPhone OS that is not repairable. This can result in the hacked iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone OS update is installed.

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks the iPhone OS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of the iPhone OS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.

Apple Link

What's your thoughts on this ? :)

Keep making very nice devices, Apple, then leave us alone.

If I buy a device, I can do whatever I want with it. I can smash it with a baseball bat. I can jailbreak it.

If they didn't police their app store the way they do, we wouldn't need to Jailbreak. Similarly, if they didn't try to bind us into long term contracts with telecoms, we wouldn't need to Sim-unlock. The latter has gotten better, now the iPhone is widely available unlocked, but the first generation was never sold unlocked.

It's not right to deny service to a jail broken phone - but its fair enough to charge for it, if they need to clean up something you broke as a result.

I just got a Nexus One and an Android programming book a couple of days ago, loving it :)

Apple's policy on jailbroken phones should be: Restore them to the latest official un-jailbroken firmware. Then if they still don't work, fix them as usual. It's just software after all.

And yes of course many Cydia programs are hacks and break things. Recently discovered PDANet breaks tethering (the official version) - not nice, would never have guessed if it had not been discussed in a forum. But it should be the customer's right to take this risk.