Transportation To The Airport (suvarnabhumi)

travellife

I have several flights planned for the coming months that leave from Suvarnabhumi airport. I live off the MRT (near Lat Phrao station).

What is a convenient way to get to the airport?

I would like to save some cost, so I don't want to use a Taxi. And I don't mind taking a bus or van.

Most of my flights are in the afternoon so most options should work. But I have one flight that will leave Bangkok in the early morning (around 6am).

One option is to

1) take the MRT to Sukumwit

2) take the BTS to On Nut

3) take the express bus 552 to the airport

The Airport Rail Link is supposedly starting a free service this month (I'll believe it when I see it). That would be a shuttle service from Phaya Thai to Suranabhumi (no intermediate stations).

Worth keeping an eye on :)

You can pick up the airport express bus from opposite Tesco underneath On Nut Station, Taxi's from On Nut cost around 150-200 Baht (ex tolls) depending on traffic from there. Not sure when the airport rail link is opening but until it is I think that's the best option.

When the new BTS system is up and running to the airport, is the downtown station easily accessible by other forms of transport?

Yes, there's a transfer to the BTS at Phaya Thai (to the City Service only) and there will be a walkway from Phetchaburi Metro station to the City Air Terminal (Makkasan).

The current road layout can make the CAT difficult to access from some parts of town, no idea if they will make any adjustments when it actually opens.

When the new BTS system is up and running to the airport, is the downtown station easily accessible by other forms of transport?

(Imagine taxi's won't smile to take you there)

It looks like the system might be running as early as July

http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/

You can pick up the airport express bus from opposite Tesco underneath On Nut Station, Taxi's from On Nut cost around 150-200 Baht (ex tolls) depending on traffic from there. Not sure when the airport rail link is opening but until it is I think that's the best option.

Do I pick up the Airport Express bus at the normal bus stop on Sukhumwit (underneath On Nut station)? Or is there a parking area I need to pick it up at.

I assume the transportation time when it is not busy is around 20-30 minutes or so.

(Imagine taxi's won't smile to take you there)

It looks like the system might be running as early as July

http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/

://http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/...quot;]

[/color]://http://www.bangkokairporttrain.com/...quot;]

[/color]

I am not sure that "early" is the correct term. It was originally due to open in Dec 07. That became Dec 08, which became Aug 09, which became Dec 09, which became March/ Feb 2010 which is now 5 Aug 10.

And just to clarify, it is NOT a BTS system, BTSC has nothing to do with it. It is owned by SRT which has contracted a manager to run the thing seeing as how they have no idea what they are doing, part of the delay is that it has taken the SRT so long to work out who to appoint to run the thing. It does use Siemans rolling stock but overhead power not third rail.

If you really want to know how unintergrated and dysfunctional mass transit will be in BKK, just wait until you need 3 different electronic tickets to catch the MRT, BTS and Airport Line!!! (There are plans for an intergrated ticketing system but BTS and MRT have been promising just that for the last 3 years!!!).

All that being said, it will be fantastic to finally use the thing when it does finally open. You'll be able to do check in at the CAT sometime next year and though it will not suit all, it will be nice to take the train to/from the Airport.

Edited by Lakegeneve

The Airport Rail Link is supposedly starting a free service this month (I'll believe it when I see it). That would be a shuttle service from Phaya Thai to Suranabhumi (no intermediate stations).

Essentially it is an extension of the previous trial runs that they did for the public every Wed late last year. There have also been other ad hoc runs. The reason being that a full opening has not taken place is that there are some problems with the power on the system and also that the SRT forgot to recruit and train staff until they belatedly appointed an operator.

Details as follows;

Official Annoucement on Free ride of Airport Link from SRT

Starting date: 30 April 2010 - August 2010

Running period: Weekdays (Monday to Friday)

Time: 7.00 AM-10.00 AM and 4.00PM - 6.50 PM

Section: Phyathai <-> Suvannabhum Nonstop

Travel time: 22 Minutes

I have several flights planned for the coming months that leave from Suvarnabhumi airport. I live off the MRT (near Lat Phrao station).

I would like to save some cost, so I don't want to use a Taxi. And I don't mind taking a bus or van.

Most of my flights are in the afternoon so most options should work. But I have one flight that will leave Bangkok in the early morning (around 6am).

One option is to

If your happy to take public transport and save money there is no need to waste your time travelling to Sukhumvit or On Nut and then pay 150 baht for the Airport Express Bus. But why take the 552 when you have 3 airport bus routes closer to you?

1) Catch the 550 (24hrs) which runs down Lat Krabang, Srinagkarinda, Lat Phrao rd, to/from Happy Land (only cost you around 30 baht).

2) Easier and quicker is to catch the MRT to Rama 9 and then catch the 551 bus (28-30 baht) which runs from Victory to the Airport (24hrs). It runs downs Rama 9 then onto the Motorway just past Srinagarinda rd. It will take about 30-40 mins. The only thing is that you then need to take the Shuttle Bus from the Transport Center which adds 10 mins.

3)If you have small luggage you could catch the 551 min-van from Victory (NE corner) which runs all the way to the Airport along the expressway (20 mins) and takes you right to the Terminal building. (40 baht)

4) Other options are the 555 bus down Vihavadi which then runs on the expressway from Din Daeng or a mini-van of the same number.

One option is to

If your happy to take public transport and save money there is no need to waste your time travelling to Sukhumvit or On Nut and then pay 150 baht for the Airport Express Bus. But why take the 552 when you have 3 airport bus routes closer to you?

1) Catch the 550 (24hrs) which runs down Lat Krabang, Srinagkarinda, Lat Phrao rd, to/from Happy Land (only cost you around 30 baht).

2) Easier and quicker is to catch the MRT to Rama 9 and then catch the 551 bus (28-30 baht) which runs from Victory to the Airport (24hrs). It runs downs Rama 9 then onto the Motorway just past Srinagarinda rd. It will take about 30-40 mins. The only thing is that you then need to take the Shuttle Bus from the Transport Center which adds 10 mins.

3)If you have small luggage you could catch the 551 min-van from Victory (NE corner) which runs all the way to the Airport along the expressway (20 mins) and takes you right to the Terminal building. (40 baht)

4) Other options are the 555 bus down Vihavadi which then runs on the expressway from Din Daeng or a mini-van of the same number.

Thanks. This is great information. I was aware of the other buses but wasn't sure where to pick them up at. It sounds like they stop at the normal bus stops, so I can wave them down. The van options also sound interesting. I'll have to try the various modes and see which one works out best.

I enjoy the mass transit system in Bangkok. There are many options to get to places all over the city.

Yes you can catch the buses and vans (new white ones) at any bus stop.

Essentially it is an extension of the previous trial runs that they did for the public every Wed late last year. There have also been other ad hoc runs. The reason being that a full opening has not taken place is that there are some problems with the power on the system and also that the SRT forgot to recruit and train staff until they belatedly appointed an operator.

Details as follows;

The schedule has been posted on http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1272275411, every 20 mins in the morn and late afternoon/early evening as follows;

Departing Phayathai Station

Morning: 0700, 0720, 0740, 0800, 0820, 0840, 0900, 0920, 0940, 1000

Afternoon: 1600, 1620, 1640, 1700, 1720, 1740, 1800, 1820, 1840, 1900

Departing the Airport Station

Morning: 0710, 0730, 0750, 0810, 0830, 0850, 0910, 0930, 0950,

Afternoon: 1610, 1630, 1710, 1730, 1750, 1810, 1830, 1850, 1900

Had 8 hours to loose between planes last Saturday and took shuttle bus to Transportation Center in order to take bus 552 to On nut.

After waiting for 1 hour the 552 never came, when asked at the bus counter the employee on duty checked his schedule and said: No idea :)

Thus took 551 to Victory monument which seems to run every 15 minutes.

Took 50 minutes though in light traffic.

Free rides on the airport link 30 April to August seems to be the way to go!

I did take a taxi on the way back to Swampy from MBK for 213THB + tip, decided it was not worth the hassle to go back to Victory monument to catch that 551 nor finding/taking the airport bus for 150THB.

Edited by tartempion

Yes you can catch the buses and vans (new white ones) at any bus stop.

Worth keeping an eye on :D

Details as follows;

The schedule has been posted on http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1272275411, every 20 mins in the morn and late afternoon/early evening as follows;

Departing Phayathai Station

Morning: 0700, 0720, 0740, 0800, 0820, 0840, 0900, 0920, 0940, 1000

Afternoon: 1600, 1620, 1640, 1700, 1720, 1740, 1800, 1820, 1840, 1900

Departing the Airport Station

Morning: 0710, 0730, 0750, 0810, 0830, 0850, 0910, 0930, 0950,

Afternoon: 1610, 1630, 1710, 1730, 1750, 1810, 1830, 1850, 1900

Unfortunately, it is all on hold for now. :)

MCOT: MCOT English news Transport Ministry suspends April 30 planned test run of Airport Link rail services until political tension eases

One option is to

I saw this nice summary online. Of course, during busy traffic hours it would be scary trying to take any bus that doesn't use the expressway. If I am in a hurry, I like to take the van option since they have direct routes. The one from Victory Monument to the airport sounds like the fastest. For someone just visiting the city on a layover (as mentioned in another post), its easier just to take a taxi. Or you can try the Bus 551 to Victory Monument but during busy traffic any transportation might be time-consuming.

Public Bus Service to Bangkok and area.

» Bus Number 550 - Suvarnabhumi Airport - Happy Land

Bus No.550 connects Suvarnabhumi Airport to Happy Land via Ladkrabang Road, On-Nut Road, turning right to Sri Nakarin Road, turning left to Ladprao Road and turning right to Happy Land.

» Bus Number 551 - Suvarnabhumi Airport - Victory Monument (Expressway)

Bus No.551 connects Suvarnabhumi Airport to the Victory Monument via New Bangkok - Chonburi expressway to Srirat expressway for exit at Rama 9 toll gate to continue further along Asoke-Dindang Road and Rachawithi Road for the final stop at the Victory Monument.

» Bus Number 552 - Suvarnabhumi Airport - On Nut BTS station

Bus No.552 connects Suvarnabhumi Airport to the On-Nut sky train station via Bangna-Bangpakong Road, taking a right turn to Sukhumvit Road until the On-Nut sky train station.

One option is to

So now I am curious about the fastest way from the airport to the Lat Phrao area (without taking the 150 baht AE buses). I will be arriving at the airport on Friday at 6pm (which means peak rush hour traffic). I have taken the 551 bus before but it bogs down once it gets off the expressway. I think it would take 1.5 hours just to get close to Rachada. Probably two hours to get to Victory Monument.

I think the van option would probably be quickest (maybe one hour?). Can I pick up the 551 mini van from the first floor of the airport or do I have to go to the transportation center (taking the free shuttle bus to the transportation center).

I could consider taking the 552 from the airport to On Nut and take the BTS, but not sure if there are traffic problems getting to On Nut during rush hour traffic. I wouldn't enjoy sitting on the 552 for two hours just to get to On Nut.

One option is to

I tried out option #2 on Tuesday afternoon. To get to the most convenient bus stop, it is best to get out on the Fortune Town side and walk to Rama 9. Near the corner is a bus stop. I waited about 25 minutes and bus 551 came. It took about 30 minutes to get to the airport transportation center (not that much traffic in the afternoon). From the airport transportation center to the departure area it took about 20 minutes (about 8 minutes waiting for the bus to leave). The bus stops at a few places to pick up employees of the airport.

Next time I will try option #3. I think it is the most convenient way (other than a taxi) since I can sit in the van (with aircon) while waiting for the van to leave, and it will drop me off right at the departure area of the airport (bypassing the airport transportation center).