Stolen Ticket: Four More Back Lotto Cheat Claim

george

STOLEN TICKET: Four more back lotto cheat claim

Police told that housewife was definitely duped by vendors

YASOTHON: -- Four more witnesses yesterday corroborated a housewife's claim that five people cheated her out of a winning lottery ticket and pocketed Bt23 million that was rightly hers.

"I have come forward to testify to police because I want to see justice in society", one of the witnesses, Phonthong Wongsankham, said.

He said he "totally believed" that Praiwan Hensamak had been cheated.

Praiwan complained to police on May 25 that her lottery seller, Paisri Lailao, and Paisri's older sister, Pissamai Khamthong, had taken away her winning ticket and never returned it to her.

According to police investigations, Praiwan was duped into handing over her winning ticket because Paisri and Pissamai insisted that they needed it for double-checking.

Utis Boontawee later used the winning ticket to claim the Bt23-million jackpot prize, and most of the money is now in the bank account of Pissamai's husband, Sam-ang.

Arrest warrants have been issued for Paisri, Pissamai, Utis, Sam-ang and Boonchit Khamthong.

Police said yesterday that 20 witnesses, including Phonthong, had given testimony that supported Praiwan's complaint.

Phonthong said Paisri and Pissamai had come to see him on a motorcycle at around 5pm on May 16 and asked him if he had won the lottery. This happened less than two hours after the May 16 lottery draw.

"When I said 'no', they asked if I knew about anyone who had won. So, I suggested that they should ask Praiwan because she bought many lottery tickets," Phonthong recounted.

Phonthong said Paisri and Pissamai then collected lottery tickets from Praiwan.

The police inspector in charge of the case, Lt-Colonel Thammarak Putthajak, said a relative of the suspects had also testified against them.

"Her testimony is very useful," he said. "It is in line with accounts from the other witnesses."

The suspects' lawyer, Kittikachorn Chaleephutthaphong, said his clients would speak to the press when they turned themselves in next Tuesday.

"We will fight in court," Kittikachorn added.

--The Nation 2005-06-03

Leaves out the real kicker to this story as reported in other media..

The main lady who scammed the other lady offered to give her 5-15 million baht (reports vary) out of the 23 million in winnings, if the scamee signed an agreement. If she didn't agree, the scammer was going to hire the best lawyer "who taught the police", and tie them up in court until the two-year statute of limitations on such a crime made it a dead issue...

... his clients would speak to the press when they turned themselves in next Tuesday....

<deleted> are they going to do until next Tuesday???

My g/f won 2,000 baht in that draw. She went to a place that gives you the money and had to wait a long time for the old lady to do whatever she does and give her the money. During that time, I'm thinking, what if the old lady does a runner and denies that the ticket was my g/f's?

Do they sign the back of the ticket like you are supposed to in the UK?

Lesson no. 1 anywhere in the world when you have a winning lottery ticket: make a copy and leave it at home when you go out cashing (or copy before you cash)...

... his clients would speak to the press when they turned themselves in next Tuesday....

<deleted> are they going to do until next Tuesday???

My g/f won 2,000 baht in that draw. She went to a place that gives you the money and had to wait a long time for the old lady to do whatever she does and give her the money. During that time, I'm thinking, what if the old lady does a runner and denies that the ticket was my g/f's?

Do they sign the back of the ticket like you are supposed to in the UK?

Statute of Limitations expire after two years on a case during trial? :o

If she didn't agree, the scammer was going to hire the best lawyer "who taught the police", and tie them up in court until the two-year statute of limitations on such a crime made it a dead issue...

My GF won 12,500 thb in a drawing a few months ago. She went to collect and the woman who sold her the ticket told her there was no money to pay her. It seems the woman was never turning in the sales money, just keeping it. The lottery HQ people came to the house, got the story, went to the police, and the woman was arrested. My GF says she has not seen her since. My GF did get her money, they did honor the ticket.

My GF won 12,500 thb in a drawing a few months ago. She went to collect and the woman who sold her the ticket told her there was no money to pay her. It seems the woman was never turning in the sales money, just keeping it. The lottery HQ people came to the house, got the story, went to the police, and the woman was arrested. My GF says she has not seen her since. My GF did get her money, they did honor the ticket.

I think the same thing happened in the UK - someone was supposed to buy lottery tickets every week for a group of people, but didn't. Then they "won" the jackpot :o but I don't think they got any money because no ticket was actually bought.

When I used to be in a lottery group, the guy who bought the tickets had to photocopy them and give a copy to everybody in the group.

Update:

STOLEN TICKET: Suspects’ accounts frozen

YASOTHON: -- Police recover Bt15 million as investigators scramble to check banks for remainder of cheated housewife’s Bt23-million lottery jackpot

Police have frozen 19 bank accounts of five people who allegedly cheated a housewife out of her winning lottery ticket worth Bt23 million.

“We’ve located about Bt15 million already,” Lt-Colonel Samniang Luejiangkham said yesterday. He explained that the suspects had deposited most of the money in various bank accounts and bought some bonds.

Samniang said investigators were tracing the rest of the lottery windfall and that a bank branch in Roi Et had been contacted to verify reports an additional Bt5 million had been deposited there.

“We are also going to check if the suspects have transferred money anywhere else. If so, we’ll freeze the bank accounts of any other person involved. Such persons will also face charges of aiding in embezzlement and accepting stolen items,” he said.

Police have identified lottery seller Paisri Lailoa, her elder sister Pissamai Khamthong, her husband Sam-ang Khamthong, as well as Boonchit Khamthong, and Utis Boontawee as suspects in the alleged scam. Pissamai, Sam-ang and Boonchit are government officials working for the Education Ministry.

According to the police investigation, Paisri and Pissamai dashed off to see housewife Praiwan Hemsamak shortly after they realised she had the winning lottery ticket from the May 16 draw. They demanded she hand over her lottery tickets for a double check.

This Praiwan did, unaware that one of her tickets had hit the Bt23 million jackpot.

Nonetheless, she jotted down all the numbers on her tickets before handing them over to Paisri and Pissamai. When the tickets were not returned, Praiwan lodged a complaint with police. Police said witnesses, including a relative of the Khamthong family, testified in favour of Praiwan.

Arrest warrants have been issued for five suspects, all of whom said they would turn themselves in today.

Their lawyer, Kittikachorn Chaleephutthaphong, said the five would report to police in the morning, following which they would hold a press conference.

Previously, Sam-ang offered a lump sum of money to Praiwan asking her to withdraw the complaint. However, she turned down his offer.

Yasothon Governor Suthee Makboon promised yesterday to help see justice done in the case based on the results of the police investigation.

He said the suspects, if found guilty, would be severely punished regardless of their status as government officials.

--The Nation 2005-06-06

Five in lottery scam surrender to police

YASOTHON: -- The five suspects in an alleged scam to cheat a housewife out of her lottery jackpot winnings yesterday gave themselves up to police.

The winning ticket, worth Bt23 million, was one of 40 purchased by housewife Praiwan Hemsamak for the May 16 draw.

The suspects, lottery seller Paisri Lailao, her sister Pissamai Khamthong, Boonchid Kham-thong and Utis Khamtawee, were yesterday charged with embezzlement, police said. Sam-ang Khamthong, Boonchid’s older brother, was charged with embezzlement and receiving stolen property.

All suspects pleaded not guilty and refused to testify to police.

However, Utis agreed to speak to reporters but his interview was cut short when Boonchid tapped on the table to interrupt Utis, who was in the midst of telling reporters that he was very surprised when he learned that he had hit the jackpot.

Utis immediately stopped talking when he heard the tap and turned to look at Boonchid, who was sat just two metres away.

“Our lawyers will handle all issues related to the case,” Utis said. Kittikachorn Chaleephut-thaphong, one of the suspects’ five lawyers, said he had crucial evidence but refused to elaborate.

The suspects were released on bail using their government jobs as bonds. Boonchid and Sam-ang work for the Education Ministry. Sompis Chanamee, Yasothon police chief, said investigators were confident that there are enough witnesses and evidence to convict the suspects.

--The Nation 2005-06-08

Education office to probe teachers in lottery scam

YASOTHON: -- The Yasothon provincial education office yesterday launched an investigation into two teachers named by police as among the five suspects in the disputed winning of the Bt23-million lottery jackpot.

Boonchid Khamthong and his wife Pissamai Khamthong have been targeted because of their alleged involvement in the scam, said Yasothon Education Zone 2 chief Preecha Wangkahad.

“The investigation will be upgraded to disciplinary proceedings if the investigation finds cause to suspect wrongdoing,” he said.

Boonchid and Pissamai reported to police on Tuesday to face charges relating to their claim to the jackpot, which has also been claimed by housewife, Praiwan Hemsamak.

The other three suspects are Paisri Lailao, Utis Khamtawee and Sam-ang Khamthong.

The five have been released on bail pending the completion of a police report.

Pol Lt-Colonel Thammarak Phuttajak said he was preparing to issue an arrest warrant for Seri Khamthong because he had failed to report for questioning.

If the warrant is issued, Seri would become the sixth suspect.

Another investigator, Lt-Colonel Samniang Luechiangkham, said he was trying to track down the money paid out from the jackpot.

--The Nation 2005-06-11