Thai 'Red Shirts' Rule Out Talks Despite Looming Crackdown

webfact

Suggestions:

50 fortified tractors with armored cabs - accompanied by armed troops who do as they're told. Move forward at steady slow speed. Tell drivers to not get commandeered, and don't be squeamish. If Thais can't do the job, hire some outsiders who can.

At several places, at the other end of the sweep, buses standing ready to load those who choose to leave.

Knock out electric power to the stages, one way or another. If Royal Thai security can't figure out a way to do it, they can call me for suggestions.

Try to keep pinks and no-colors out of the mix when push comes to shove.

Oh, and send some real soldiers up to get the soldiers who wimped out of the train in Kon Kaen or wherever it was. But don't take the wimp soldiers down to Bangkok. Put them all in lockdown, including officers, and discipline them later, after the smoke clears. Probably best to kick them out of the military altogether.

My suggestion: hold a fair and honest general election thats what the rest of the world usually does. :)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So unruly mobs committing acts of violence are OK now? Just as long as they don't wear matching shirts?

Of course not but when ONE unruly mob wearing matching shirts causes tens of thousands of people to lose their jobs, lose wages that have kept their jobs, lost income for business owners, doubled and tripled time spent in traffic going anywhere and continue at every turn to spout about the damage and violence they have planned it's pretty obvious that sooner or later people will oppose them...

This topic has polarized opinions. Regretably, some PAD apologists, Thaksin haters, "red shirt" dislikers and keyboard generals on this forum cannot recognize that others may hold differing views to their own. It became impossible to have a sensible debate long ago. A small number are so bigoted that they will jump on this post as being pro-UDD. It is not, but that will not stop them; so, I am content for them to have their fun. However, we all should recognize that whatever our opinion on the subject may be, and no matter how strongly it is held, it is irrelevant.

I actually quite agree with you and I support NO color of shirt/mob. I do find it at least somewhat telling that you single out the so called "anti RED" posters as being the ones that can't seem to accept that others may hold opinions different than theirs. When in fact it goes both ways, the PRO RED crowd refuses equally to even entertain the thought that the REDS could be anything other than beaten down farm workers fighting for their peace of the pie regardless of how much we have seen that points to this NOT being the entire story.

So if your intention was NOT to have your post appear as being Pro-UDD I am surprised that in the interest of a balanced commentary you did not at least confirm that BOTH sides act the same...

At about 11pm, the SILOM side start throwing glass bottle across to the RED side. The RED side fought back, and tension escalated for about an hour. I can confirm that this particular incident was started by the SILOM side. The whole junction was covered with broken glasses and other sling-shot bullets. The RED guard immediately close off the Henri Dunant junction to stop cars from getting into the war zone. However there was no one on the Silom side stopping car coming from Sathorn junction, hence many cars were damaged from the battle.

I for one appreciate the first hand report of what happened there. I do not know your leaning of color if in fact you do have one, I have not looked over your previous posts. But do you think in fact that the Silom crowd is to blame? I know you say "this one particular incident" but the REDS have been holding the city and it citizens and businesses hostage for weeks and weeks now... wasn't something like bound to happen as a RESPONSE to that? Hardly a first strike, how much would you like to wager that if the REDS packed up and went home tonight that you would never see or hear from the "silom gang" again the same amount that you would bet that if the Silom gang never appeared again that the REDS would pack up and go home??

I do NOT condone the actions of the multi color/yellow/silom gang last night or violence of any kind but I can't see how anything else could happen other than what is with the way the RED thugs are trying to torment and threaten everybody in the city.

Please visit Silom / Rama 4 junction yourself tonight to witness. 9pm to midnight is ideal. And PLEASE REPORT BACK tomorrow. I shall be waiting for it.

And do not lie to your wife that you are going shopping in Patpong. You will be caught. All the stalls in Patpong are not set up (eg empty street whereby cars can pass in BOTH directions). However the go go bars are still opens.

Think I'm going to risk getting killed by some psychotic peace-loving red shirts just to satisfy a fragment of somebody's imagination?

The opinions of people in this office will do me just fine, thanks. Why don't you turn up here and have a chat with them?

Chicken.

After having trawled this and the many other threads on the ongoing fiasco that is the result of the Government having allowed Taksin's henchmen to mobilise thousands of ignorant (in the true sense of the word, not as a slur) peasants to make life as difficult as possible for the vast majority of the citizens of Bangkok, and causing untold economic damage to the country, I wonder how many of the posters cheering Taksin on were actually living here when Taksin was in power and if they were, are they suffering memory loss which has now advanced to complete senility?

Please visit Silom / Rama 4 junction yourself tonight to witness. 9pm to midnight is ideal. And PLEASE REPORT BACK tomorrow. I shall be waiting for it.

And do not lie to your wife that you are going shopping in Patpong. You will be caught. All the stalls in Patpong are not set up (eg empty street whereby cars can pass in BOTH directions). However the go go bars are still opens.

Think I'm going to risk getting killed by some psychotic peace-loving red shirts just to satisfy a fragment of somebody's imagination?

The opinions of people in this office will do me just fine, thanks. Why don't you turn up here and have a chat with them?

Chicken.

If that's your response then truly pathetic. What we have here is an aspiring Phua Thai MP.

BTW, will probably be heading well into red shirt land Saturday morning however, just like last Saturday. Will report back then :)

Edited by Insight

After having trawled this and the many other threads on the ongoing fiasco that is the result of the Government having allowed Taksin's henchmen to mobilise thousands of ignorant (in the true sense of the word, not as a slur) peasants to make life as difficult as possible for the vast majority of the citizens of Bangkok, and causing untold economic damage to the country, I wonder how many of the posters cheering Taksin on were actually living here when Taksin was in power and if they were, are they suffering memory loss which has now advanced to complete senility?

This can of worms is opened again I see. haha, you are quite right few of the Thaksin lovers (farang) were here or seem to have suffered massive memory loss about his time in power and POWER it was. I would say roughly speaking that my extended Thai family and the thai's I know via work and so forth were at one point pretty evenly split between between liking/loving him and hating him.... odd how now with this much time having passed and with the REDS pulling this latest stunt (after last years Songkran) I would guess that the split is 90/10 against the man. This is coming from everyday working Thai people that agree without doubt that this whole RED shirt thing is about Thaksin... odd how all the farang in TV seem to know so much more than the locals about what is really going on.

Suggestions:

50 fortified tractors with armored cabs - accompanied by armed troops who do as they're told. Move forward at steady slow speed. Tell drivers to not get commandeered, and don't be squeamish. If Thais can't do the job, hire some outsiders who can.

At several places, at the other end of the sweep, buses standing ready to load those who choose to leave.

Knock out electric power to the stages, one way or another. If Royal Thai security can't figure out a way to do it, they can call me for suggestions.

Oh, and send some real soldiers up to get the soldiers who wimped out of the train in Kon Kaen or wherever it was. But don't take the wimp soldiers down to Bangkok. Put them all in lockdown, including officers, and discipline them later, after the smoke clears. Probably best to kick them out of the military altogether.

My suggestion: hold a fair and honest general election thats what the rest of the world usually does. :)

What? The same as when Somchai/Samak were ushered in? How about Gordon Brown? And have you not considered the very real possibility that every time a group of people don't like the current Government all they have to do is get a mob together to cause as much mayhem as possible to force them out?

The only alternative would be to install yet another military junta, for life. And we all remember how brilliantly the last lot administered the economy in general and plunged the housing market in predominantly expat areas in particular, into terminal decline with their fiddling with the nominee structure, after the horse/Taksin had bolted?

Many Injured from Violent Clash in Silom

BANGKOK: -- Many residents of Silom District in Bangkok who came out to demonstrate their opposition to the anti-government movement have been injured in a violent clash with the red-shirt protesters.

There was a violent clash between the Silom residents and the red-shirt protesters on Rama IV Road at Sala Daeng Intersection in Bangkok yesterday at around 10 p.m.

From behind barricades made of rubber tires and sharpened bamboo, the red-shirts shot slingshots and hurled glass bottles at the more than 1,000 discontented residents of the capital's financial district.

The residents were provoked by a firecracker thrown by the red-shirts and retaliated by throwing rocks, cement blocks, and glass bottles at the anti-government protesters. The violence lasted for more than an hour.

Four of the residents have been injured by the marble slingshots launched by the red-shirts and were rushed to a nearby hospital.

Also, a 40-year old Australian businessman caught a stray marble from a slingshot and sustained an ear injury.

After the incident, anti-riot policemen equipped with shields formed a line to contain the two sides. Both sides continued to exchange sporadic attacks, but no additional injuries have been reported.

-- Tan Network 2010-04-22

TAN is so bias, where do they come from? Who own them? NBT/ Thai government? The facts are all wrong, and in most case opposite to what happened. The firecracker were thrown about 15 mins after the clashes dies down. But before.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Silom people battle red shirts with bottle missiles

BANGKOK: -- At 11:30 pm Wednesday, about 100 residents of Silom, Klong Toey and Thanon Tok areas threw things at red-shirt protesters.

About 100 people from the three neighbourhoods gathered on the Silom Road near the Dusit Thani Hotel and exchanged abusive words with the red-shirt protesters at 11pm.

About half an hour later, they threw beer bottles, glasses and other things at the red-shirt protesters as well as firing slingshots at them.

The Bangkok residents tried to break through the line of police to clash with the red-shirt protesters who surged towards the Silom people as well.

The red-shirt people then threw two Molotov cocktails at Silomp people, prompting them to retreat.

About 30 policemen tried to eparate the two sides but the two sides kept on firing slingshots at each other, prompting police themseles to retreat to be stationed in the compound of the hotel.

-- The Nation 2010-04-22

This Nation report is nearer the truth. Believe me, I was there.

Edited by chantorn

Why did'nt the army and police force crackdown on the yellow protestors when they took over government house and the two Bangkok airports. If they had have done the present situation with the Red Shirts might not have happened.

If you recall, they did try a crackdown at the government house and somchai was blamed for killing many people, same scenario, that was the events of October 7 2008 or 2007

The Silom gang is not the multi-coloured gang. Please do not mix them up. The Silom gang is also not the YELLOW gang. The newspaper say that this gang is from Silom, Klongtoey & Thanon Tok (Chareon Krung / Rama3)

I was there last night. Both side were booing at each others for hours. The RED were mostly within their fort (about 3-4m tall), most of them not knowing when happen outside. They were flooded with loud country music. The RED guards were holding back those few red shirt gang that is on the road (infront of the fort)

There was no guards on the SILOM gang side. They get the protection of the police and army because they gather lots of donation from passerby to buy them food and drinks. Things get out of control afew times to unlucky innocent individuals (including foreigners & press) who cross the road back to silom side after a sightseeing trip on the RED side. It only took some idot to shout "I saw this mother fcuker on the otherside", and lots of people there throw in a freebie punch / kick etc. The police/army have to protect the injured by dragging them at great speed all the way to the BTS station where most of the army and press hide out.

As cars turn into the cawing Silom Road, the SILOM gang stop the cars to check if the drivers were wearing RED, or have a RED sticker on. Most are allowed to leave after the RED sticker is peel off or spray painted the wordings. A few driver tried to resist, and have their vehicle vandalize by the gang. It was not a pretty sight. The police & army did not stop them. PLEASE AVOID DRIVING TO SILOM IF YOU WEAR RED OR HAVE ANY RED STICKER ON YOUR CAR.

At about 11pm, the SILOM side start throwing glass bottle across to the RED side. The RED side fought back, and tension escalated for about an hour. I can confirm that this particular incident was started by the SILOM side. The whole junction was covered with broken glasses and other sling-shot bullets. The RED guard immediately close off the Henri Dunant junction to stop cars from getting into the war zone. However there was no one on the Silom side stopping car coming from Sathorn junction, hence many cars were damaged from the battle.

BANGKOK: -- Many residents of Silom District in Bangkok who came out to demonstrate their opposition to the anti-government movement have been injured in a violent clash with the red-shirt protesters.

There was a violent clash between the Silom residents and the red-shirt protesters on Rama IV Road at Sala Daeng Intersection in Bangkok yesterday at around 10 p.m.

From behind barricades made of rubber tires and sharpened bamboo, the red-shirts shot slingshots and hurled glass bottles at the more than 1,000 discontented residents of the capital's financial district.

The residents were provoked by a firecracker thrown by the red-shirts and retaliated by throwing rocks, cement blocks, and glass bottles at the anti-government protesters. The violence lasted for more than an hour.

Four of the residents have been injured by the marble slingshots launched by the red-shirts and were rushed to a nearby hospital.

Also, a 40-year old Australian businessman caught a stray marble from a slingshot and sustained an ear injury.

After the incident, anti-riot policemen equipped with shields formed a line to contain the two sides. Both sides continued to exchange sporadic attacks, but no additional injuries have been reported.

It's always all about perspective isn't it?

Why did'nt the army and police force crackdown on the yellow protestors when they took over government house and the two Bangkok airports. If they had have done the present situation with the Red Shirts might not have happened.

If you recall, they did try a crackdown at the government house and somchai was blamed for killing many people, same scenario, that was the events of October 7 2008 or 2007

The crackdown would have been succesful, but the PAD had the army to protect them from the Police. They were driven back and could have been ousted then.

BUT as always with double standards there was great mouring for the dead (rightly so in my mind) protesters, which has not been seen in the wake of the murder of poorer people who do not support PAD.

PAD were an easy nut to crack for the Police. They were just prevented from doing their job by the PAD's backers.

This Nation report is nearer the truth. Believe me, I was there.

But why should anyone believe you? I am asking honestly. How do YOU even know that you saw the FIRST move that started it? It is impossible for you to know unless you were the person that the threw the first firecracker or used the first slingshot..

Your opinion is interesting with you having been on site... but to take it or any other opinion as fact is a slippery slope indeed.

The Silom gang is not the multi-coloured gang. Please do not mix them up. The Silom gang is also not the YELLOW gang. The newspaper say that this gang is from Silom, Klongtoey & Thanon Tok (Chareon Krung / Rama3)

I was there last night. Both side were booing at each others for hours. The RED were mostly within their fort (about 3-4m tall), most of them not knowing when happen outside. They were flooded with loud country music. The RED guards were holding back those few red shirt gang that is on the road (infront of the fort)

There was no guards on the SILOM gang side. They get the protection of the police and army because they gather lots of donation from passerby to buy them food and drinks. Things get out of control afew times to unlucky innocent individuals (including foreigners & press) who cross the road back to silom side after a sightseeing trip on the RED side. It only took some idot to shout "I saw this mother fcuker on the otherside", and lots of people there throw in a freebie punch / kick etc. The police/army have to protect the injured by dragging them at great speed all the way to the BTS station where most of the army and press hide out.

As cars turn into the cawing Silom Road, the SILOM gang stop the cars to check if the drivers were wearing RED, or have a RED sticker on. Most are allowed to leave after the RED sticker is peel off or spray painted the wordings. A few driver tried to resist, and have their vehicle vandalize by the gang. It was not a pretty sight. The police & army did not stop them. PLEASE AVOID DRIVING TO SILOM IF YOU WEAR RED OR HAVE ANY RED STICKER ON YOUR CAR.

It's always all about perspective isn't it?

Can you please quote your news source? and the owner of your news source? Are you so ashame as leaving the name of your news source out? Is it PTV or ASTV or some extremes?

This is local people and they are angry, because som stupid red people are ruin their lives. It is no pink shirts or multicoloar shirts. It is just angry people that have had enough now.

If the army and police continue to fail to do their jobs we can only expect more clashes. The reds are a dangerous mob and a threat to anyone around them. The people from Silom are showing that not all Thais are cowards and that some will not be intimidated by the reds.

Propagating lynch justice by the angry mob? Hoping for a civil war?

This is clearly not the way to solve the problem.

But definatly the way of the Red Shirts

I agree with you. In other threads I have made posts saying that the UDD were copying PAD's successful tactics. The general response was that two wrongs don't make a right. Maybe, but that does not explain the differential treatment of the two goups. The general response to that was that two wrongs don't make a right; and so, it became a circular argument.

This topic has polarized opinions. Regretably, some PAD apologists, Thaksin haters, "red shirt" dislikers and keyboard generals on this forum cannot recognize that others may hold differing views to their own. It became impossible to have a sensible debate long ago. A small number are so bigoted that they will jump on this post as being pro-UDD. It is not, but that will not stop them; so, I am content for them to have their fun. However, we all should recognize that whatever our opinion on the subject may be, and no matter how strongly it is held, it is irrelevant.

As always, I hope for a peaceful end to this problem. It is a political problem requiring a political solution. One ray of hope is that although the UDD will not negotiate directly with Khun Abhisit, they say they will neotiate through a respected intermediary. Plea to all parties: start talking!

The moderators must be happy, because at least it keeps the forum vibrant - and that is what will keep it alive, even if the main source of its news content is heavily biased. When this particular topic has died down we will be back to critcizing the journalistic standards and wondering how many trees were pulped to print that particular newspaper.

Good post in response to an equally good point which is what has the neutrals scratching their heads.

I would add that people, shall we say sympathetic to the incumbents, justify the huge media censorship at present by citing the argument that Thaksin was far worse in his own censorship of media - a very fair point. However, as a neutral, it seems to me you can't have it both ways - arguing that Abhisit's control of the media is acceptable because Thaksin did the same if not worse and at the same time, arguing that the Reds obstructive protest is wrong because even though the yellows did the same, two wrongs don't make a right....it leaves me confused!

Final point - the feelers have been put out for third party negotiation - three months etc..this was raised yesterday in interviews with Red leaders in the one we can't mention and with Reuters and reported in their daily round-up on the BBC website very prominently - it's all very Thai but if both sides could come out with the old 'face' intact, then it might yet resolve itself peacefully - watch this space, but I think the Reds had a more concillatory tone yesterday and are looking for a way out...

Edited by danc

Mmmmh sound like the organized Red mob

V's General Public who are sick of being bullied around

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/aboutus.aspx

Who are we? We are Thailand's only 24-hourEnglish news channel.

Aimed to showcase all aspects of the Kingdom of Thailand and countries throughout the entire ASEAN regions to its both Thai and foreign viewers, Thai-ASEAN News (TAN) Network or the former Thailand Outlook Channel (TOC) broadcasts via Asia Satellite Television (ASTV). Despite the same broadcasting entity, TAN Network is absolutely independent from ASTV. Broadcasting entirely in English from the Thai capital of Bangkok, TAN Network is operated and managed by Thai nationals. It offers a perfect arena for everything you need to know about Thailand and of countries throughout the entire ASEAN region. The end-goal of the channel is to give a voice to the untold stories throughout the land, promote debate, and challenge established perceptions that surround the Thai media.

A widespread distribution network is also under way to ensure that the channel's viewers, regardless of where they are, can access the network. A recent poll conducted by Assumption University estimates TAN Network viewers at around two million and that figure is constantly on the rise. The poll also concluded that TAN Network is the most widely watched English news channel in Thailand.

TAN Network is now carried by all members of the Cable Operators Association of Thailand, thus ensuring that it can be viewed in all 76 provinces across the country. At present TAN Network can also be viewed via the Internet at www.tannetwork.tv. A large number of the channel’s outstanding programs are carried via the ASTV-US feed, widely watched by Thais and foreigners living in the United States and elsewhere around the world.

TAN Network encompasses both news and entertainment content. The channel’s news programs focus on giving both general information and in-depth analysis to the key issues that make the headlines in the kingdom, allowing non-Thai visitors to understand what’s going on in the country.

Suggestions:

But not when an aggressive street mob tries to accelerate the date for their own partisan interests.

Can you please quote your news source? and the owner of your news source? Are you so ashame as leaving the name of your news source out? Is it PTV or ASTV or some extremes?

Grow up.

TAN belongs to ASTV.

I will repeat, GROW UP.

You could go stand on the corner of Silom and whatever for as long as you want, the rest of your life and you will never see EVERYTHING that happens there.

I was merely showing you that other opinions exist and whether you were there or not does NOT mean you have a monopoly on the truth.

So again, please gain some perspective..

Oh by the by I couldn't care less who owns what.. I have no color affiliation...

ask yourself the question again... the answer is obvious unfortunately - the elite in the Police and Army are yellow

Why does Thailand not own all the land it used to own

How long do want to live in the Past

when are you going to start setting example for the future we can not change the past

Chicken.

If multiple-reincarnation, and Jatukamen Rammathep sponsored good luck

is not part of his mindset, and/or he doesn't trust his medical plan,

or just dislikes PAIN,

then he is much more thoughtful and prudent, than chicken....

Edited by animatic

Uh, no not really.

The Oct 7th battle was ourtside parliament when a large contingent of PAD

went to Parliament to try and prevent the PPP from re-writing the charter on the sly.

There never was a crackdown on Gov. House encampment,

if you don't count the several nights of grenades thrown in during the last week

before PAD moved to the airport in, response to the violent, deadly attacks in the night at GH.

Edited by animatic

((((( My suggestion: hold a fair and honest general election thats what the rest of the world usually does))))

My friend where have yo been

welcome back to the real world

The Government offered this in week 1 and the Red Shirts said NO WAY

The Multi-Coloured Group is made up of middle-class Bangkok residents, academics, the business community and members of the social network Facebook. Since Songkran they have marched across Bangkok every evening to show their force in support of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and against the dissolution of Parliament.

While this is true,

I imagine Facebook will not be too pleased at being specifically drawn into this debacle by name.

Come on Abhisit do the same thing YOURSELF what you were imploring other

people to do in this video – DON’T be a hypocrite and lead this country into civil war :)

in Thai he is saying Gov must act responsibly by resigning - YES you do it - now !

Come on Abhisit do the same thing YOURSELF what you were imploring other

people to do in this video – DON’T be a hypocrite and lead this country into civil war :)

in Thai he is saying Gov must act responsibly by resigning - YES you do it - now !

A country that has no laws that are worth while is what we want

Mob rule

now to stage 2 of the Red shirt leader plan