How Is Chiang Mai Affected By The Current Political Situation?

Andreas84

I will arrive in Chiang Mai next week, and I am planning to stay there many months. I would be interested to hear from those of you living there, if there is any need to be concerned or take precautions in Chiang Mai, due to the current political situation. How serious do you perceive the situation to be? Is there anyone living there permanently, who questions whether you want to continue staying there, in example? Is there a lot of fear related to the current situation? has anyone been killed or seriously hurt in CM thus far?

No, it is fine up here. Dont wear yellow, or red though.. just to be safe.

some wierd grenade incidents, but never targeted at people... just making points... so far.

the city is rather spread out... so no real 'zones' to target, and most farang here live scattered in all directions from the main area, which i suppose is the moat area.

dont worry about it up here

Yup, no issues.

No issues even with wearing any particular color; it really applies only to shirts with a political message, like a red Truth Today or pro Thaksin shirt, or a yellow shirt with the royal emblem. (And some people of course wear those as well). And regular red or yellow garments are just fine. (Though you never know with some resident drunk Farangs to be honest)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Now that you've heard from the nay sayers, let this wise old man give you the real skinney

Things you DO have to fear ....

1 running out of money

2 falling in love in the first week

BOTH can be fatal

re number 2........ if you wait til the 2nd or 3rd week you should be ok...... but then really watch the money...

Gonzo the Sage [with just a dash of paprika]

:)

Now that you've heard from the nay sayers, let this wise old man give you the real skinney

Things you DO have to fear ....

1 running out of money

2 falling in love in the first week

BOTH can be fatal

re number 2........ if you wait til the 2nd or 3rd week you should be ok...... but then really watch the money...

Gonzo the Sage [with just a dash of paprika]

:)

If by chance you reverse 1 and 2, you may run out of money a lot quicker than planned.

IMHO, anyone who DOESN'T love Chiang Mai is either the worlds biggest pessimist, or has a serious mental disorder. With April almost over, the weather is getting better, the people here are extremely friendly, and as for the women? Well, the last time I was back in the USA, I met a Japanese business woman who travels extensively, and when she found out I had a wife from Chiang Mai, she said: "Oh, then I know you have a beautiful wife." When I asked how she could say that since I had not even shown her a photo of my wife, she replied: "Even in Japan, we know that the most beautiful women in Thailand come from Chiang Mai.". By the way, she's right. My wife, at 51, is still a stunningly beautiful and sexy woman.

So come, have fun, and see why the rest of us love it here so much.

Affected? No, not really. :)

Well, there are a few bombs going off here and there, but that's quite normal in todays political world climate, isn't it? We all have to accept minor inconveniences. My bank had a grenade attack last week, so perhaps I should switch to another bank. But then why bother? I have this metal detector and I suppose I will use it next time I go the the bank. The streets are pretty safe as well, apart from occasional riots and gunfire. But it was definitely worse in the Congo back in the 90s. My nephew brought me a souvenir AK-47 from Cambodia when he came back from his holiday last year, so that's nice to have. I mean you never when you need it. Of course, the rifle is too heavy to carry in the streets, so I content myself with a pair of semi-automatic pistols for everyday security.

Cheers, CMX

All very possitive, but I decided to ask my Thai wife.

'If we had friends who wanted to come and visit us in Chiang Mai, what would you advise?'

She thought about it for a while and replied, 'there are plenty of beautiful place to visit in the world, probably cheaper, and definately safer. I would tell them not to come'.

Thats one Thai view. Have any of you posed the question to your Thai partners?

Iain

We noticed today we could see the ridge on the mountains for the first time in months.

Yeah! I was happy as a kid when I saw the trees of Doi Suthep and the blue sky.

IMHO, anyone who DOESN'T love Chiang Mai is either the worlds biggest pessimist, or has a serious mental disorder. With April almost over, the weather is getting better, the people here are extremely friendly, and as for the women? Well, the last time I was back in the USA, I met a Japanese business woman who travels extensively, and when she found out I had a wife from Chiang Mai, she said: "Oh, then I know you have a beautiful wife." When I asked how she could say that since I had not even shown her a photo of my wife, she replied: "Even in Japan, we know that the most beautiful women in Thailand come from Chiang Mai.". By the way, she's right. My wife, at 51, is still a stunningly beautiful and sexy woman.

I hear you.. you must love your wife very much... picture please! I am not from CM but I am dead gorgeous, you know... :D:)

That is a joke if you don't know - he is talking about the Song Kran water festival and the squirt gun wars. :D

You mean that wasn't a real war last week ? :D:D

:D:D:D

I just got back again from Chiang Mai Tuesday evening and saw nothing.

No, going to Chiang Mai you have nothing whatseoever to worry about - all is fine.

Just watch out for the LB's & BG's. They love your money. wub.gif

LB? BG? Educate me.

Btw, being her for 3 weeks: Chiang Mai is ... really nice. I am sold.

On a more economic note, the political situation is affecting the tourist industry here quite badly. My staff told me this morning that the local tv said that the elephants camps in Mae Taeng are planning to close at the end of this month if things don't change. The owners said that if the situation does not change soon, they will end up leaving the elephants at City Hall.

So, if you're thinking of doing the elephant/bamboo trip, do it this week.

Edited by earlofwindermere

I hear you.. you must love your wife very much... picture please! I am not from CM but I am dead gorgeous, you know... :D:)

For Soulwy. This is the wife. :D

post-82655-1272505079_thumb.jpg

post-82655-1272505110_thumb.jpg

Edited by Just1Voice

This is the wife. :D

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Just1Voice,

A very lovely picture of a lovely person; if she's 51, even lovelier :)

May we ask, without offending you, if she has had some surgical "enhancements" (nose, breasts, botox) ? If this question does offend you, we sincerely apologize, and ask you forget it immediately.

You are a lucky (whatever gender you are).

thanks, ~o:37;

This is the wife. :D

A very lovely picture of a lovely person; if she's 51, even lovelier :)

May we ask, without offending you, if she has had some surgical "enhancements" (nose, breasts, botox) ? If this question does offend you, we sincerely apologize, and ask you forget it immediately.

You are a lucky (whatever gender you are).

thanks, ~o:37;

Ok, first off, there have been no "surgical enhancements". Everything is 100% Natural. Second, those pictures were taken about 2 years ago when she was 49, and she's actually a bit smaller around the waist now than she was then due to a daily 1 hour exercise program she does every morning when she first wakes up. Third, my gender is 100% Male! :D

Ok, first off, there have been no "surgical enhancements". Everything is 100% Natural. Second, those pictures were taken about 2 years ago when she was 49, and she's actually a bit smaller around the waist now than she was then due to a daily 1 hour exercise program she does every morning when she first wakes up. Third, my gender is 100% Male! :D

yes, yes. But can she scale tall buildings in one leap? :)

Ok, first off, there have been no "surgical enhancements". Everything is 100% Natural. Second, those pictures were taken about 2 years ago when she was 49, and she's actually a bit smaller around the waist now than she was then due to a daily 1 hour exercise program she does every morning when she first wakes up. Third, my gender is 100% Male! :)

We are glad you were not offended by our question, and appreciate your response. We have to say that her nose does not look typical of Thai noses in our humble opinions. Which is meant as an observation, not a negative comment.

Also, since we know that Thai women never lie or withhold the truth about anything from their farang husbands, we totally believe you that she never had a nose job.

May you both be blessed with clear hearts and calm minds, and enjoy your love forever !

best, ~o:37;