Did America Create Pattaya?

mark45y

Who built U-Tapao Airport? America. Why did they build it? Because of the Vietnam War. Where is it? Chonburi (Pattaya). Did any farang know of this place prior to the war? No.

So, simply put, The Vietnam War "advertised" Thailand, therefore Pattaya, as a holiday destination. Post Vietnam War many G.I's went back for their "wives" to take them home, or just drink beer and boom boom again.

A friend of mine was a helicopter pilot and was stationed at U-Tapao during his stint in the Vietnam war. U-Tapao, was the the main helo station for all of the Vietnam campaign, raids, bombings, etc. etc., also was used as a front line supply area for the war.

U-Tapao was also a very stratigic air field, during the war, for B-52 bombing raids into Vietnam and Cambodia. When I visited the field several yers ago, I took many pictures of the field and surrrounding area, took them back to show Ralph, they brought back many memories for him.

Edited by PingManDan

PingManDan - Where did yo hear that Utapao, no dash, was the main helo station for "all of the Vietnam campaign"?? That is total BS. Utapao was home, early on, to KC-135's and B-52's. They later had C-130's and some other aircraft. I don't think there was a "main helo station". NKP had more helicopters than Utapao ever did. The NKP ones were used primarily for rescue of downed pilots. I'd also have to question your statement about Utapao being used as a front line supply area. Of course, if you consider that Utapao was close to the port of Sattahip from where the Army shipped stuff all over Thailand (not Vietnam) then you could be correct by proximity alone. Do some research before you post this crap.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread pattaya beachwas an australian and british army r&r resort in 1963, the americans stationed in Utapao when their buses and trucks passed us on their way to Bkk and they saw us partying they stopped for a beer or two I left thailand in 1966 at that time there were still no US bungalows or bars in pattaya, as far as US bases in los at that time Ubon and Udon were rather well set up and had their own bars and custom built mia noi villages,the biggest by far was Korat with a huge mia noi estate of new houses directly outside the camp,and the on base bars were the best in thailand to this day have never seen an establishment to top the Broken Arrow with Sudsai and her staff, B) the photo is of our first camp on pattaya beach

Where were the British troop stationed that had R&R in Pattaya?

British troops were involved in "Operation Crown" which involved Royal Engineers building an airfield at Loeng Nok Tha. The below is a piece from the Royal Engineers Museum.

You'll see from the piece that British troops were also in Bangkok attached to the British Embassy.

"Operation Crown - Thailand - 1963-68

As a signatory of South East Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO) Britain had an obligation to assist Allies in the Far East. In the early 1960's the Americans (also signatories of SEATO) were becoming increasingly embroiled in preventing the march of Communism in Laos and Vietnam and requested that Britain assist in their crusade.

In February 1963 it was proposed that Britain construct an airfield at Loeng Nok Tha, near Mukdahan in Thailand as part of the American's Special Logistic Aid to Thailand (SLAT). The proposal was accepted and given the code name Operation Crown.

The Engineer units involved in the project were:

11 Independent Field Squadron RE

59 Field Squadron RE

Detachment 54 Corps Field Park Squadron RE

Detachment 84 Survey Squadron RE

Detachment 302 Postal Unit RE

A field troop from the Royal Australian Engineers and detachment from the Royal New Zealand Engineers were also involved.

Crown airfield at Loeng Nok Tha, near Mukdahan, Thailand constructed by the Royal Engineers - 1964-65

The airfield with its 5,000ft long air strip, control-tower, airfield fencing and lighting was completed in time for an official opening ceremony on 17 June 1965, but work continued on improving the landing strips long after the ceremony.

After the airfield was completed a second project, to build a road north west from Loeng Nok Tha to a village (Ban Khok Klang), was started in December 1966 by 34 Field Squadron RE, who were relieved by 59 Field Squadron RE in August 1967, who in turn were relieved by 11 Field Squadron RE. The road was completed in April 1968 by a composite workforce that included:

54 (FARELF) Support Squadron RE

51 (Airfields) Squadron RE - one troop

59 Field Squadron RE - one troop

A Royal Engineers' Forces Post Office atttached to the British Embassy remained in Bangkok after the last of the Royal Engineers involved in Operation Crown departed Thailand in 1968."

You see what happens when you copy something that is incomplete or has been written by a burocrat,no where have you mentioned detachments from 16 and 18 commonwealth brigades from terendak who were an essential part of operation crown also there was a unit within in a unit called HQ CRE which was made up of odds and sods like myself who actually were there for the whole duration, if you take a glance at my avatar , it is a snap of God(RSM)beloved and fondly remembered by all who served on crown :wai:

My take on this was that a former prime minister ushered in a land development boom. This prime minister was ousted in a military coup. Lots of foreigners married to Thai women in Pataya made piles of money, cashed in their chips and left the kingdom. The Thai government got really red in the face and changed the land ownership laws.

My take on this was that a former prime minister ushered in a land development boom. This prime minister was ousted in a military coup. Lots of foreigners married to Thai women in Pataya made piles of money, cashed in their chips and left the kingdom. The Thai government got really red in the face and changed the land ownership laws.

finally someone with proper insider knowledge! the only thing missing is the breakdown of foreigners who made piles of money. rumour has it that the majority were Cardassians, a few Klingons and very few Borg. am i right?

:ph34r:

PingManDan - Where did yo hear that Utapao, no dash, was the main helo station for "all of the Vietnam campaign"??

Was wondering the same since I was stationed there from 1968-1969 and my office right next to the flight line. Rarely saw helos just B-52s, KC135 Stratotankers, C-130s and occasionally C-141 Starlifters. Also saw a U-2 pop in for a visit sometimes. ;) The C-5A Galaxy arrived a short time after I left. The only Helos where the HH-43 search and rescue units.

Video1

Video C-5A 1972 Utapao

Utapao photos

More photos

PingManDan - Where did yo hear that Utapao, no dash, was the main helo station for "all of the Vietnam campaign"?? That is total BS. Utapao was home, early on, to KC-135's and B-52's. They later had C-130's and some other aircraft. I don't think there was a "main helo station". NKP had more helicopters than Utapao ever did. The NKP ones were used primarily for rescue of downed pilots. I'd also have to question your statement about Utapao being used as a front line supply area. Of course, if you consider that Utapao was close to the port of Sattahip from where the Army shipped stuff all over Thailand (not Vietnam) then you could be correct by proximity alone. Do some research before you post this crap.

Roger that. The range of a Huey is 293 miles and average speed of about 100 MPH. Distance to Vietnam about 500 miles. No helicopters were flown out of Utapao on combat missions to Vietnam during the Vietnam conflict. Helicopters flown in combat in Vietnam were based in Vietnam.

Mark, we may not agree on this but I'd consider a search and rescue mission (SAR) a combat mission. If so, then there were many combat missions flown in Vietnam by helicopters from bases in Thailand with NKP being a major origin point for many of those missions. I've got a bunch of written stories (true ones) by both downed pilots and the rescue crews.

Mark, we may not agree on this but I'd consider a search and rescue mission (SAR) a combat mission. If so, then there were many combat missions flown in Vietnam by helicopters from bases in Thailand with NKP being a major origin point for many of those missions. I've got a bunch of written stories (true ones) by both downed pilots and the rescue crews.

I would agree that search and rescue missions were combat missions.

I should qualify my experience by saying I was Army Aviation and not Air Force. I guess a lot of people don’t know that during Vietnam the Army did most of the helicopter flying. I was responsible for maintaining roughly 2000 rotary and fixed wing army aircraft in 1968 and 1969 and they were all based in Vietnam. The range of our combat helicopters was about 300 miles so it is obvious they were close to the action.

I know NKP did a lot of secret stuff too and I tried not to get involved in that.

When I said combat I was referring to the day to day insertions, extractions and ground support operations that made up 90% of our flight time. I honestly wasn’t thinking of search and rescue.

Whoever started Pattaya, and whoever continued it, and to those who maintained it ever since, we can all give a tip of the hat to. Thanks for one of the more interesting cities on the planet... despite all its warts.