Home Schooling

Hi,

Can anyone please help? I have a child who I wish to start home schooling, he is presently in a international school in Samui, which just doesn't seem to be up to standard and uses a lot of TEFEL teachers, even though we were promised this wouldn't be the case, sorry going off the point...

Can anyone offer any advice, on which courses to look at, I have looked at the cambridge and edexel programs, would would love to hear some first hand advice from other parents who may have tried this method, rather than a school. Did you find your children done better at home than school etc....

Many thanks in advance

Max :)

I taught homeschooling for 5 different children over a span of 7 years. The parents were employed by the US government, however, international schools were not available in this part of Thailand. Another 5 children were homeschooled by another small group of teachers. All the 'teachers' were American/British, and only one was a certified teacher (the Brit). The rest of the 'teachers' were retired military expats living in the area.

All the children used the Calvert School program out of Baltimore, MD. Cost per year for the Calvert materials was about $1300 (not including shipping). All the texts, tests, workbooks, and supplies were provided by Calvert. The students were enrolled in a variety of grades from kindergarten to grade 6.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the students have gone on to high school/college without any problems.

Good luck in your journey!

I would suggest that you contact the German embassy (or school authorities in Germany) concerning Home Schooling, testing and expectations. You will want your child to be eligible to attend some type of school, so they will have to study under some curriculum. If you want him to attend school in Germany, then that is the curriculum to follow.

If you want him to study in Thailand, then the Thai curriculum would be appropriate (if he's a Thai speaker).

Other posters may have some other ideas. Maybe there is some international curriculum that he can follow.