Getting Car Ins For Tw On A Settlement Visa In Uk

Holding an international driving permit does not change this; in fact an IDP does not confer any extra rights or privileges that a Thai licence doesn't already give.

This oft repeated comment isnt correct.. There are many countries that do not accept a license on its own that do accept the license and IDP package.

Her driving instructor had to check with her insurance company to make sure that lessons are OK with an international drivers licence. Apparently if you get a UK licence of any type it superceeds an international one so driving unaccompanied becomes an issue.

When I was an instructor, following the advice of the school I originally worked for, I would not give a foreign licence holder lessons in my car unless they had a UK provisional as well; because of the uncertainty over the insurance issue. All my colleagues were, and as far as I know still are, the same.

Provided they have not exceeded the 12 months in the UK then a foreign licence holder can drive unaccompanied using their foreign licence, even though they may also have a UK provisional.

Holding an international driving permit does not change this; in fact an IDP does not confer any extra rights or privileges that a Thai licence doesn't already give.

This oft repeated comment isnt correct.. There are many countries that do not accept a license on its own that do accept the license and IDP package.

It is correct in the UK; and it is the UK that we are discussing.