Orange Juice Carts - More Info?

Grawburg

For 15 to 20 baht I've been picking up the little plastic bottles of fresh squeezed orange juice. At least those little green/orange things LOOK like oranges. Can anyone tell me what kind of oranges these are and are they mixing the juice with sugar. The juice sure is sweet - there's gotta be some extra sugar added. Thanks for any insight! :)

Yes they are just very similar to a satsuma!

And normally to pad the profit out a bit they use a very light sugar syrup almost watery but lots of sugar in it,if you want and are obviously standing there while they make it just ask them not to put any syrup in it,but for sure the quantity will be less but the quality will be better at the same price of course :)

Yes they are just very similar to a satsuma!

And normally to pad the profit out a bit they use a very light sugar syrup almost watery but lots of sugar in it,if you want and are obviously standing there while they make it just ask them not to put any syrup in it,but for sure the quantity will be less but the quality will be better at the same price of course :)

At certain places, they add in a bit of salt too

At some places the liquid inside is bright orange and the taste is so sweet and artificial that it's obviously orange squash, not orange juice. Other places have a bag of squeezed oranges on display but certainly add syrup and probably a lot of water to pad profits and appeal to the Thai sweet tooth. I only buy it from places I know for sure squeeze it fresh and add no other ingredients. Unfortunately, such places seem to be getting squeezed out (unintentional pun) by the unscrupulous orange squash sellers.

At some places the liquid inside is bright orange and the taste is so sweet and artificial that it's obviously orange squash, not orange juice. Other places have a bag of squeezed oranges on display but certainly add syrup and probably a lot of water to pad profits and appeal to the Thai sweet tooth. I only buy it from places I know for sure squeeze it fresh and add no other ingredients. Unfortunately, such places seem to be getting squeezed out (unintentional pun) by the unscrupulous orange squash sellers.

Had original pure fresh orange juice today at Or Tor Kor market

no sugar, water or salt added

pricy but at least i got the real stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is that I was thinking they were putting some sugar in it so I stayed there dinking my orange juice looking at the woman who was pressing the orange and I did not saw her putting any sugar in it but just a pinch of salt before bottling. I ask to buy one of these green orange and she gave me one who I have eat and the taste was very sweet.

In farang land we are use to drink orange juice who have a very acid taste so when in Thailand we are surprise of how sweet the orange juice is.

Funny thing is that I was thinking they were putting some sugar in it so I stayed there dinking my orange juice looking at the woman who was pressing the orange and I did not saw her putting any sugar in it but just a pinch of salt before bottling. I ask to buy one of these green orange and she gave me one who I have eat and the taste was very sweet.

In farang land we are use to drink orange juice who have a very acid taste so when in Thailand we are surprise of how sweet the orange juice is.

I too have stood and watched several vendors make the hand sqeezed orange juice. The ones I've watched have never added anything. The juice is sweet because the variety of "orange" that is used is not the same as in other places. It is closer to a tangerine or mandarin orange than the oranges most westerners are accustomed to.

I too have stood and watched several vendors make the hand sqeezed orange juice. The ones I've watched have never added anything. The juice is sweet because the variety of "orange" that is used is not the same as in other places. It is closer to a tangerine or mandarin orange than the oranges most westerners are accustomed to.

Your are right about that they are more like a tangerine or mandarin, they have the size to.