Britain Advises Against Travel To Bangkok

roamer

"Issue : British FCO advice changes

22 April 2010

Britain Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has changed its warnings with regards to travelling to Thailand, in the wake of violent protests taking place in the capital, Bangkok. The FCO website states: “This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Summary and the Terrorism/Security and Local Travel sections (violence in Bangkok). The overall level of the advice has changed; we currently advise against all but essential travel to Bangkok; against all travel to some specific areas of Thailand and all but essential travel to other specific areas of Thailand.”

« Back

Here.

As its a warning for all but essential travel your able to get a full refund if you don't want to travel.

Edited by roamer

Forgot to mention that a travel advisory such as the one above will often invalidate travel insurance. Look for a clause like "Absolutely no coverage for travel to countries or regions where the travel advisory level is Avoid Non-essential Travel or Avoid All Travel" Varies from policy to policy but as we know from current posts here travel insurance co's are always looking for ways to avoid payment so if you travel while this in force and then come off your motorbike a month later in Phuket you might have a problem or two. :) Check the wording carefully.

all tourist visas to thailand are coming together with $10k insurance in case of civil unrest quaranteed by the thai government. Even if you are entitled to the entry permit, still it's worth to get a free or even payed visa, just in case you will need to claim

Edited by londonthai

all tourist visas to thailand are coming together with $10k insurance in case of civil unrest quaranteed by the thai government. Even if you are entitled to the entry permit, still it's worth to get a free or even payed visa, just in case you will need to claim

Helpful if your caught up in the disturbances, assuming they pay out. Completely useless in any other circumstances. Quick hypothetical example. You've booked a months insurance cover and fly off to Thailand whilst the advisory is in place. You have an accident, heart attack whatever, first thing the insurers will do is look to see if you traveled whilst the advisory is in place. If you have and your insurance contains a warning against traveling during such a travel advisory then your insurance is not valid. Simple as that. If however you fly to Bangkok and then transit to Phuket your covered. Note the word transit though, pass through immigration in Bangkok and you've invalidated your policy.

Helpful if your caught up in the disturbances, assuming they pay out. Completely useless in any other circumstances. Quick hypothetical example. You've booked a months insurance cover and fly off to Thailand whilst the advisory is in place. You have an accident, heart attack whatever, first thing the insurers will do is look to see if you traveled whilst the advisory is in place. If you have and your insurance contains a warning against traveling during such a travel advisory then your insurance is not valid. Simple as that. If however you fly to Bangkok and then transit to Phuket your covered. Note the word transit though, pass through immigration in Bangkok and you've invalidated your policy.

Yikes :)

Hope my dental insurance pays up, I have just had a new crown fitted in Bangkok today!

Arrived last week!

How do I get refund, I bought 2 return flights online a couple of weeks ago. paid with credit card and had to pay a £16 credit card fee, do I get a refund for the fee as well as the flight. Does it take months for the refund to come back? Cheers
During the airport fiasco a year and a bit ago, 4 weeks for the return of the money and fee non-refundable.

Did you buy thru a reputable company? If so give 'em a call and see what their policy is.

Got a refund through EVA Air in same circumstances in about a week.

Note that you can't apply until the date of travel is past, this travel advisory might not stay in place for long. Good thing about having paid via credit card is that is another back-up for refund.

LT 10K !?

-----------------------

give up your western, collectable, $1,000,000 policy, for a 'good luck' 'try to get it'

$10,000 Thai.???

The Thai one only covers you if you get hit by a rock or "stray bullet" from from a riot, not a motorcycle accident on a resort Island.

same as with the victims of black saturday (those including foreigners), "Their Majesties the King and Queen have graciously sponsored the medical bill of those injured from last night's bombings on Silom Road." (quote from the morning news).

british government warning is to it's citizens - tourists insurance from the other countries are under different rules

The problem here is that these people seem to have their heads so far up their own asses that it's lost all meaning when they issue a statement like this.

Maybe the government should amend the statement to read its especially dangerous for Labour voters.

Desperate times after all.... :)

How do I get refund, I bought 2 return flights online a couple of weeks ago. paid with credit card and had to pay a £16 credit card fee, do I get a refund for the fee as well as the flight. Does it take months for the refund to come back? Cheers

Can you claim off your credit card insurance?

I didn't know this. Do you know if that also includes the 30 day entry stamp?

I would think, that entry stamps are not covered by this insurance, as they are not payed for.

this insurance started came into life only a few weeks ago and will apply to the tourists visas till 1.04.2011.

so far tourists visas are payed, so the government have some funds for an insurance premium.

You do all realize that the governments around the world really only issue these warning and advice to cover their own ass. In today culture of; due diligence and getting a law suit slapped on you. I have no really experience of governments, other than those in fortress Europe. The political party are just making sure if poor old Joe Soap takes a round to the nut, his wife doesn’t sue her countries government for not warning her. That’s all the UK government would want wail fighting for re-election.

Am I being a bit cynical? Does anyone really thing that a countries government give a rats ass about their individual citizen. Get yourself arrested (blatantly bogus charge) in a country other than your own, or have a problem that would warrants your countries assistance (via your embassy) All the embassies do is suck up and try and find outlets for whatever their country is selling that day. The only time they get all bleary eyed and give a toss over one of their citizens is when the story gets out over an individual, who is proved to be innocent and rotting in some hel_l hole, they will only react should it damage their image or pocket.

A government issuing warnings because they care about their citizens! Right! Pull the other leg it’s got bells on.

OK. Flame on……………. Flame off!

You do all realize that the governments around the world really only issue these warning and advice to cover their own ass. In today culture of; due diligence and getting a law suit slapped on you. I have no really experience of governments, other than those in fortress Europe. The political party are just making sure if poor old Joe Soap takes a round to the nut, his wife doesn’t sue her countries government for not warning her. That’s all the UK government would want wail fighting for re-election.

Am I being a bit cynical? Does anyone really thing that a countries government give a rats ass about their individual citizen. Get yourself arrested (blatantly bogus charge) in a country other than your own, or have a problem that would warrants your countries assistance (via your embassy) All the embassies do is suck up and try and find outlets for whatever their country is selling that day. The only time they get all bleary eyed and give a toss over one of their citizens is when the story gets out over an individual, who is proved to be innocent and rotting in some hel_l hole, they will only react should it damage their image or pocket.

A government issuing warnings because they care about their citizens! Right! Pull the other leg it’s got bells on.

Whilst I agree entirely it still doesn't alter the fact that in the circumstances I outlined earlier travel insurance for UK citizens traveling to Bangkok is not valid.

Whilst I agree entirely it still doesn't alter the fact that in the circumstances I outlined earlier travel insurance for UK citizens traveling to Bangkok is not valid.

Hi roamer.....yes, your statment is true.... You are correct. But I was replying to the OP topic regarding the UK governments travel warning.

<deleted> the word is PAID not PAYED. WTFK did you get your education.

Hi tominthat……. Welcome! Having just read your 2nd posting on TV, I would just like to say; fascinating stuff, I’m only sorry I missed your first post. I look forward to your next contribution to the topic being discussed. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Tonto21

Crikey, the grammar police are out in farce today!

Londonthai, I believe is not a native English speaker.

Now, off you pop, how about that for proper inglish, innit

Maybe English lessons today suspended due to on-going political problems...got nothing better to do... :)

You do all realize that the governments around the world really only issue these warning and advice to cover their own ass. In today culture of; due diligence and getting a law suit slapped on you. I have no really experience of governments, other than those in fortress Europe. The political party are just making sure if poor old Joe Soap takes a round to the nut, his wife doesn't sue her countries government for not warning her. That's all the UK government would want wail fighting for re-election.

A government issuing warnings because they care about their citizens! Right! Pull the other leg it's got bells on.

Absolutely spot on mate. It's the same with the hundreds of safety warnings that appear everywhere in the UK these days, they don't care if you hurt yourself or not, just that you were warned before you fell in that great big hole they dug in the road, or whatever it is.

I wonder if they even think about having invalidated people's travel insurance with this announcement?

Well lets face it if he was a native speaker his command of English grammar would quite probably be much worse :)

I wonder what they will say when the english take to the streets and start tearing that place apart in a few months time :D:) .

Important point that about travel insurance.

Sadly, I fear, the days of the English/British people taking to the streets are long gone. :D

Well lets face it if he was a native speaker his command of English grammar would quite probably be much worse :D

:)

I wonder what they will say when the english take to the streets and start tearing that place apart in a few months time :D:) .

Important point that about travel insurance.

Sadly, I fear, the days of the English/British people taking to the streets are long gone. :D

I agree. Do you think that is because when the Poll Tax protestors go the living **** kicked out of them, the majority of the country thought better of doing something similar again?? Hmmmm.....

I would think, that entry stamps are not covered by this insurance, as they are not payed for.

this insurance started came into life only a few weeks ago and will apply to the tourists visas till 1.04.2011.

so far tourists visas are payed, so the government have some funds for an insurance premium.

Correct me if i am wrong, but aren't all tourist visa's currently free?

I am just asking as i am involved with the day to day running of a travel organisation, sub-contracted by a supplier in the UK. The customers we are being sent are being told that under NO circumstances are they to enter BKK as the FCO have issued this warning.

If there is some insurance for these customers, then they may be able to come and see the nice parts of BKK (and in so doing make my job a he_ll of a lot easier!)