Britain Advises Against Travel To Bangkok

roamer

no, the tourist visas suppose to be free from 1.4.2010, but all consulates are still charging a fee. Hopefully within the near future they will wave all fees, as the last year and the beginning of 2010.

see the thread, in the article there is also a governmental phone number how to claim

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Foreign-Tour...97#entry3498397

I think its good advice not to travel to countries that are on the brink of civil war.

I am confident that the wise men will prevail over those pushing for confrontation and bloodshed, but there seems to me to be clear and obvious danger; and in that case, I'd not be wanting to rely on my government to rescue me...

People have been warned, they can check with their insurers how that affects their policies, and then make their own minds up; I don't think that the British government is preventing people from travelling, nor insinuating that they will not enjoy their normal level of consular protection and support.

Anyway, I'll be going ahead with my trip in a week or so...

SC

And should the ultimate happen ...and I sincerely hope not (had to do a runner from a number of countries :D in the past ) the day could come ...hey this is scaremongering..init.if every foreighners in Thaland has to do a body swerve via Suwanna..... :D

Ye doggies ...

wot 150,000 plus gwilos with "wads of funny T-money" at the ready all trying for a single BA emergency VC10 flight......back to civilisation.....dont forget the Duty free. :)

I would think, that entry stamps are not covered by this insurance, as they are not payed for.

this insurance started came into life only a few weeks ago and will apply to the tourists visas till 1.04.2011.

so far tourists visas are payed, so the government have some funds for an insurance premium.

Correct me if i am wrong, but aren't all tourist visa's currently free?

I am just asking as i am involved with the day to day running of a travel organisation, sub-contracted by a supplier in the UK. The customers we are being sent are being told that under NO circumstances are they to enter BKK as the FCO have issued this warning.

If there is some insurance for these customers, then they may be able to come and see the nice parts of BKK (and in so doing make my job a he_ll of a lot easier!)

Your surely not serious ? Its one thing for an independent traveler to make his or her own decision as to the risks, quite another for an agent to recommend they ignore FCO advice. Anything goes wrong and you won't be subcontracting for long. Also if you read the rest of the posts you would realise that the insurance is very limited and applies only to injuries caused by rioting etc....would cover about 3 nights in Bumrungrad ICU :)

advising against "all but essential travel" is an exageration, and unduly injures thailand.

yes, the Red protest is now a full fledged Red revolt. but there are a great many things to do throughout thailand and even bangkok that involve no danger unless you purposefully go looking for it, and cant the same be said about travel anywhere?

if revolt becomes a widespread armed rebellion, as it may, then that would be the time to put in such a severe travel warning. but such a transition wont occur overnight.

the FCO is overreacting.

advising against "all but essential travel" is an exageration, and unduly injures thailand.

yes, the Red protest is now a full fledged Red revolt. but there are a great many things to do throughout thailand and even bangkok that involve no danger unless you purposefully go looking for it, and cant the same be said about travel anywhere?

if revolt becomes a widespread armed rebellion, as it may, then that would be the time to put in such a severe travel warning. but such a transition wont occur overnight.

the FCO is overreacting.

There you have it. You read it on the internet, so it must be true. The airport won't be closed through occupation, bombing, riot or insurrection. There will be no rivers of blood in the streets until after the end of April.

If revolt becomes a widespread armed rebellion, then the time to issue a warning is one or weeks prior. I think that the FCO has got it pretty close to right, since they have to err on the side of caution, because of the relative weights of the consequences in case of error. Let's hope that they have erred on the side of caution, and that they could have got away with being lax and slow to react.

SC

Note that the FCO has now updated its advisory for ALL of Thailand:

"#

We advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand.

#

In the early hours of 27 April, substantial numbers of troops deployed in Central Bangkok. The entire BTS Sky train service has been suspended in Bangkok causing major disruption. On 26/27 April there were at least eight incidents in various parts of Thailand involving protestors setting up barricades, in some instances leading to clashes with the security forces. There is escalating tension and the risk of violence across the country. "

That,s a very significant move as anyone now traveling to any part of LOS will no longer be covered by the vast majority of travel insurance policies for any loss or mishap. Fall of your bike in Ko Samui and its you who pays the hospital bills.

This will trigger loads of flight cancellations.

FCO.

Edited by roamer

Forgot to mention that a travel advisory such as the one above will often invalidate travel insurance. Look for a clause like "Absolutely no coverage for travel to countries or regions where the travel advisory level is Avoid Non-essential Travel or Avoid All Travel" Varies from policy to policy but as we know from current posts here travel insurance co's are always looking for ways to avoid payment so if you travel while this in force and then come off your motorbike a month later in Phuket you might have a problem or two. :) Check the wording carefully.

I checked this before I left UK. With the warning as it is now, no new travel will be covered but anyone who travelled before the warning was raised IS covered (at least by my insurance company). And just to prove I'm a know all....most travel insurance policies exclude motorcycles (either as rider or passenger) at any time. So that's the motor cycle taxis excluded then!

I am *SO* looking forward to being the only tourist misbehaving in Pattaya next week, without the usual British crowd! :)

And my trip is essential, needless to say. :D

That,s a very significant move as anyone now traveling to any part of LOS will no longer be covered by the vast majority of travel insurance policies for any loss or mishap

Is this actually true? I hear it touted around a lot, but if an insurance company sells you insurance for a particular place then surely they should cover you? Any first-hand experiences out there, or someone working in the insurance industry?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Forgot to mention that a travel advisory such as the one above will often invalidate travel insurance. Look for a clause like "Absolutely no coverage for travel to countries or regions where the travel advisory level is Avoid Non-essential Travel or Avoid All Travel" Varies from policy to policy but as we know from current posts here travel insurance co's are always looking for ways to avoid payment so if you travel while this in force and then come off your motorbike a month later in Phuket you might have a problem or two. :D Check the wording carefully.

I checked this before I left UK. With the warning as it is now, no new travel will be covered but anyone who travelled before the warning was raised IS covered (at least by my insurance company). And just to prove I'm a know all....most travel insurance policies exclude motorcycles (either as rider or passenger) at any time. So that's the motor cycle taxis excluded then!

Most travel insurance policies will cover you to ride a bike up to 125cc and above that, if you have a UK licence for that category. Given the amount of exclusions, travel insurance policies have. I would not like to count on my policy covering me in these events. At present, the travel advisory is at its second-highest level, if it rises to the next level than the advice will be for all UK citizens to leave Thailand as soon as is practicable, I doubt that your insurance policy will be of much use to you should you stay on and decide to disregard that advice. :)

I am *SO* looking forward to being the only tourist misbehaving in Pattaya next week, without the usual British crowd! :)

That,s a very significant move as anyone now traveling to any part of LOS will no longer be covered by the vast majority of travel insurance policies for any loss or mishap

Is this actually true? I hear it touted around a lot, but if an insurance company sells you insurance for a particular place then surely they should cover you? Any first-hand experiences out there, or someone working in the insurance industry?

An insurance company sells you a policy subject to certain caveats. Chief amongst these is that you do not travel to areas where there is a travel advisory in place, as vague as these policies might be on certain things., you can count on them being crystal clear on that fact.

An insurance company sells you a policy subject to certain caveats. Chief amongst these is that you do not travel to areas where there is a travel advisory in place, as vague as these policies might be on certain things., you can count on them being crystal clear on that fact.

Its a long time since I examined a policy; but normally I think acts of war, riots etc are excluded anyway; also nuclear incidents, amongst others.

SC

I thought Britain was too busy destroying economies to be worried about what happens in Thailand.

Sorry, who cares about what these governements have to say, I strongly advise people don't travel to the UK, so there :)