Going Home. My 3 Year Stay Is Comming To An End.

garyk

To all the posters who say they the girls aren't /werent' a factor - I'm just curious.

1. What brought you here?

2. What made you to stay?

And (no offense meant) 'the culture' is too vague an answer.

a dozen reasons but mainly the fact that neither the IRS nor the German Finance Minister have on a continous basis their claws in my pockets and take whatever they think is due to them. as simple as that.

any other questions which i can answer to satisfy your curiosity? :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To all the posters who say they the girls aren't /werent' a factor - I'm just curious.

a dozen reasons but mainly the fact that neither the IRS nor the German Finance Minister have on a continous basis their claws in my pockets and take whatever they think is due to them. as simple as that.

Yes - if you'd be so kind as you're offering. As a tax exile - why not Antigua, or the Bahamas, or Monaco, or Bali? Why Thailand? :D

any other questions which i can answer to satisfy your curiosity? :D

Naam's choice was also no doubt influenced by the fact that no where else would take him in!!! :)

Right. My salary here is more than double what I would get in Australia. The house I bought here would cost triple in Australia.

***Handy tip: Don't get involved with a bar girl. That's a free one.

EXACTLY. And if you've actually got a well paid job, how much of it would you lose to that mob of parasites that calls itself a government. My number one reason for residing in Thailand, or anywhere in Asia for that matter, is tax avoidance. If I had still been living back in OZ, over the past 4 years, I would've lost USD 250 K of my earnings in tax. Is there anywhere in the western world where one can buy a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house for USD 150 K? The answer of course is no. How many countries in the western world, with the exception perhaps of Australia, is there a future for the average man on the street? The USA and the UK? From what I've been reading, the economies there are crap and riddled with debt. Asia is where the future is. It's just a matter of having your shit together and making a life for yourself in this part of the world. Let all the whining losers go home.

a) What brought you here?

:) What made you to stay?

a) Easy going Buddhist people, stunning landscapes, excellent food, salubriousness > almost never sick, multifariousness of completely different places, prices > choice to live cheap/medium/luxurious, endless midsummery weather, good infrastructure/safeness/transportation system...compared to similar countries, mainly: tropical beaches.

:D similar as above plus good work and a home in stunning landscape

I can reflect a little bit on this topic.

I came here over 10 times in 5 years, sometimes a month, sometimes 6. Most of the time for work, some of the time as holiday.

Since 9 months I'm living here, and as I am typing this I am siting in Suvarnabumi to fly back home. The only reason this doesn't give me that sad hollow feeling i always used to have in this position, is knowing that i go just for 3 weeks to visit family and friends, take care of some stuff that needs to be taken care of. Before I know it I will be back. This is the first time going back home since I moved here, and it made me realize first time, for the full 100% that I made the right decision last year to come here. My life is pretty far from perfect, lots of things to improve and upgrade, but I am endlessly more at home then I was in my country of birth.

I'm just 27 and absolutely not saying this is it for the rest of my life. Maybe someday I am done with Thailand or want another change. But I def. cannot share your feelings, and assume like other that you might have come here for the wrong reasons. And I mean that for a long stay in Thailand vs. a tourist stay, not being judgemental on you. But the thing you mention make for a great holiday 3 weeks a year.... and as it turns out not a happy ever after.

Yes - if you'd be so kind as you're offering. As a tax exile - why not Antigua, or the Bahamas, or Monaco, or Bali? Why Thailand? :D

we lived in Florida for 15 years and were lucky. the first hurricane ever hit our area a couple of months after we left. therefore = Caribic out of question.

Monaco? do you have any idea how much immobile property is in Monaco? obviously you don't! so let me tell you that for the money i spent building a 600m² (square meters not square feet!) home in Thailand i wouldn't be able to buy a decent one-bedroom apartment in Monte Carlo and would still pay 15% income tax whereas i pay zilch in Thailand. moreover, how much would it cost to employ three fulltime live-in domestic staff in Monaco and where would we house them? on a tiny balcony?

Bali? please check indonesian immigration/retirement possibilities before you come up with the recommendation Bali. besides, what's so special about Bali? we have spend twice a couple weeks there and could not find any advantage over other places on this planet except if you prefer hindu over buddhist temples, churches or mosques. not to forget Bali is Indonesia. check indonesian income tax rates! Thailand had the advantage that we spent dozens of times our holidays in Pattaya, Phuket and Samui.

we have lived and i have worked in several countries, some of them are eihter not as "liveable" as Thailand or have restrictions as far as residence is concerned, i.e. out of question. we have done our homework and spent a full year travelling and visiting a dozen countries before we decided on Thailand. needless to say that it was a compromise. personally i would have opted for Malaysia, my wife was in favour of Malta and Cyprus. our mutual dream was and still is to live in a country where we lived several years and still visit dear friends once a year. of course nobody would believe me if i reveal what country i am talking about. alternatively we would be considered to be out of our freaking mind.

Right. My salary here is more than double what I would get in Australia. The house I bought here would cost triple in Australia.

EXACTLY. And if you've actually got a well paid job, how much of it would you lose to that mob of parasites that calls itself a government. My number one reason for residing in Thailand, or anywhere in Asia for that matter, is tax avoidance. If I had still been living back in OZ, over the past 4 years, I would've lost USD 250 K of my earnings in tax. Is there anywhere in the western world where one can buy a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house for USD 150 K? The answer of course is no. How many countries in the western world, with the exception perhaps of Australia, is there a future for the average man on the street? The USA and the UK? From what I've been reading, the economies there are crap and riddled with debt. Asia is where the future is. It's just a matter of having your shit together and making a life for yourself in this part of the world. Let all the whining losers go home.

BINGO!!! i am getting stupid stares from people when i tell them i live with my wife a rather luxurious life in Thailand and it does not cost us a single penny because all our expenses (and there's even a big surplus left) is paid for by the forty-plus percent income tax that we don't pay in our home country Germany. tax avoidance seems to be something that doesn't exist for most of the resident whiners who leave or plan to leave Thailand and i therefore conclude that they were always earning peanut amounts below any taxation level.

electricity is cheaper here? no way.

water is cheaper? no.

gasoline is cheaper? no, it's not.

I can only speak about my former home country of Australia.

Electricity where I live in Thailand is cheaper than Australia

Water again is cheaper here than Australia.

Petrol is also cheaper here than Australia.

Internet is also cheaper here too.

Don't wish to disagree with you but I wonder where your home country is? Certainly seems like a cheaper place to live than Thailand :)

our mutual dream was and still is to live in a country where we lived several years and still visit dear friends once a year. of course nobody would believe me if i reveal what country i am talking about. alternatively we would be considered to be out of our freaking mind.

Oh mightly Klingon, you have piqued my curiosity....pray tell...

our mutual dream was and still is to live in a country where we lived several years and still visit dear friends once a year. of course nobody would believe me if i reveal what country i am talking about. alternatively we would be considered to be out of our freaking mind.

our dream city where we lived and would love to live again is Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia :)

our dream city where we lived and would love to live again is Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia :)

Interesting...never would have guessed it....but suppose the million dollar question is....Why ?

endless midsummery weather

Please - which province??, its been in the 40's for days now and no rain for weeks

Phuket has been unusually hot this season but still in the low 30's. Not too bad when you come from a place where it rains 290 days a year and is <deleted> cold.

Antigua, Bahamas, Monaco? apples to oranges my friend. Quite a different cost of living in those locals. Thailand is cheap and convenient, close to other great destinations so you can use it as a hub to explore the rest of Asia. Im on an expat employment contract so don't pay for a thing, not even taxes. If I had a similair job offer in Singapore I guess I would take it. i wouldn't choose to live in the places you mentioned just too expensive and would end up spending all the money I am saving here.

a) What brought you here?

:) What made you to stay?

If you work in hospitality and want experience overseas what better place than one of Asia's top tourist destinations - Phuket?

our dream city where we lived and would love to live again is Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia :D

Interesting...never would have guessed it....but suppose the million dollar question is....Why ?

we like it there :D although i would miss my smoked pork chops :D what else can i tell you? :)

BINGO!!! i am getting stupid stares from people when i tell them i live with my wife a rather luxurious life in Thailand and it does not cost us a single penny because all our expenses (and there's even a big surplus left) is paid for by the forty-plus percent income tax that we don't pay in our home country Germany. tax avoidance seems to be something that doesn't exist for most of the resident whiners who leave or plan to leave Thailand and i therefore conclude that they were always earning peanut amounts below any taxation level.

NAAM. This is as they say, a point of view.

Why on earth would it worry you that you pay tax to your homeland for the many benefits of living there? You still would have 60% left of a considerable sum if your posts are to be believed. (I am sure they are). Nobody enjoys paying tax but its one of the costs of living in a civilised country which attempts to take care of its infrastructure and its citizens less financially lucky/fortunate than ourselves.

Also, you would not have sunk a large sum of money into a property that you will never be able to sell at anything like its cost to you. From your descriptions it is a very unusual farang design that appeals to you but would probably leave most people saying, 'But why?' Thais rarely buy such secondhand houses on the Darkside. One agent claims to be listing over three thousand Darkside properties. Who will ever buy them at anything like their original sale prices? You would not have this problem in Germany.

Your health problems were taken care of in Germany not Thailand. Next time, you may not be well enough to travel to the health service of your choice.

You often say to those who advise against 'buying' houses here that in reality they probably can not afford it. I won't repeat the usual responses from people who are more than able to afford just about anything they like here but nevertheless prefer to rent for reasons that make sense to them. (They also have a point of view).

Is it possible that people who claim to be reluctant to pay a proportion of their income in tax, in fact, have very small incomes to start with?

I enjoy your posts and wish you a long and happy life but you can not take it with you. Or as some say "there are no pockets in shrouds".

I read a certain amount of this topic & you made your opinions of the 3 yrs u have been here

this sounds to me like a troll due to the fact yu mentioned your 3 yrs is up in the first place so byyyye as yu will not need to know any more :)

Why? Because they share his views on the chosen people.

Don't be so negative, you married in Europe and devorce cost you half of your investments, so don't complain if stay with a girl half the age off your daughter and loosing your 200k baht house in the middle of the jungle.

I love it here, why

Electricity, cheaper

Water, cheaper

Tax on property, cheaper

Propert, cheaper

Traveling, cheaper

Oil, gas, fuel, Cheaper

Food, cheaper

Health care, cheaper and better and quicker service

Dental care, cheaper and better and quicker service

Woman, lovely

Golf, cheaper

Many of my mates don't do f#$ck all, so when i am in Thailand they always have time for me :)

This is enough for me to stay here.

Wish you all the best and there is a good change that you will be back here within 2 years :D .

Good luck to you.

I got divorced in the states was married less then 1 year. In King County Washington State maybe they have 1 judge that is a man left there out 20 , well cost my $485,000 and the lady judge asked her IS THE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT HONEY, she was a gambler I filed for divorce she came over put several bullets in my house , all was ignored. Divorce took over 3 years,she did not want one.

Came here found the most wonderful wife been married now for 7 happy years she is also my best friend.

Have a beautiful house could not afford to pay the taxes on it in the states. Love the tropic climate live up North away from BKK

life is slow here. My wife treats me like a king. This is heaven. Here I am on top of the world in the States I be another ordinary Joe. I have a $4,000 monthly retirement income barely to survive in the Seattle area on that.

what else can i tell you? :D

I don't know, you could always tell us how big your house is and how rich you are again. :D

i am convinced that any of my houses is bigger than yours (assuming you own one... which i doubt) and that goes for my financial holdings too.

next! :)

what else can i tell you? :D

I don't know, you could always tell us how big your house is and how rich you are again. :D

i am convinced that any of my houses is bigger than yours (assuming you own one... which i doubt) and that goes for my financial holdings too.

next! :D

Wow! Aren't we all lucky that Herr Naam even acknowledges our existence? :)

...And don't forget all of those impressive degrees from the Mel Gibson University! certifct.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Let me know if you want to live here and why?????? Is it because of a woman. If it is then, stay a few years get it out of your system and go home and live the good life.

I agree that Thailand can really get on one tits if one lets it, but think I'd prefer to be living within my mean here than be a millionaire over there... over-regulated, PC'd out to the enth degree, and stuffed to the gussets with boring individuals who harp on about the same crap day in, day out. :)