Thai Translation Of The Word "upbringing"

thairookie

If this is any help. I recall a phrase from a lesson which was translated to mean:

She was brought up in a conservative family.

เขาถูกเลี้ยงในครอบครัวอนุรักษ์นิยม 

If this is any help. I recall a phrase from a lesson which was translated to mean:

She was brought up in a conservative family.

เขาถูกเลี้ยงในครอบครัวอนุรักษ์นิยม 

My recollection wasn’t that good. This is the actual sentence.

She was raised in a conservative family.

เขาถูกเลี้ยงมาในครอบครัวหัวโบราณ

I think เลี้ยง may be the closest. It means to bring up or raise as in a child.

Does เลี้ยง bear any connotation of personality ? If I remember correctly, the word is often used in the context of "feed".

I am probably more a rookie than you at speaking Thai but a couple good sites ...

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

http://www.thai2english.com/

upbringing

[N] การเลี้ยงดูอบรมสั่งสอน S.breeding; rearing

(NECTEC Lexitron 2 EN-TH)

(อัพ'บริงอิง) n. การเลี้ยงดูและอบรมสั่งสอน ###S. breeding,rearing

(Hope Studio)

(n) การเลี้ยงดู,การอบรม,การศึกษา,การสั่งสอน

(Nontri)

try

ชุบเลี้ยง - [to] bring up ; foster ; bring up - chúp líang

ฟูมเลี้ยง - [to] take care of ; bring up ; raise - foom líang

เลี้ยง (...) ไว้ - [to] raise (someone/something) (in the sense of feeding them and looking after them) - pôo ù-bpà-gaa-rá líang

ดูแลเอาใจใส่ - take care of; look after; nurture; raise; sustain; bring up - duu laae ao jai sai

I support uppalux's suggestions การเลี้ยงดู and การอบรม, they are both valid normal Thai words used for 'upbringing'.

The Lexitron entry การเลี้ยงดูอบรมสั่งสอน is also correct (of course), and is more elaborate and formal.

เลี้ยงดู (to feed/raise/treat + look [after]) อบรม (to train) สั่งสอน (order+teach) - each of these compounds means 'bring up' in itself but as you can see from the compound parts each one focuses on slightly different aspects of the upbringing activities.

Still, they are units now so the individual meaning of each word is more interesting as a clue to how they once came about, than how the compound is to be interpreted in modern Thai, where the units are already solid.

It's also not unusual to hear just พ่อแม่สอนอย่างไร (what he/she was taught by his/her parents) in casual conversation about somebody's manners or behaviour.

So far we haven't had any which refers to a person's character or personality.

Any word that carries the 'added' meaning of 'feed', 'breed' or 'rear' is going to sound very 'farmer'.

If you want to skip the upbringing part, and say someone was no good from the start, may I throw this in.

He has a bad personality trait.

เขาสันนคานไน่คี

kao san-daan mai dii

สันนคาน

a (bad) trait or behavior by birth.

(source: Speak like a thai. Vol 2. by Ms. Becker)

Any word that carries the 'added' meaning of 'feed', 'breed' or 'rear' is going to sound very 'farmer'.

If you want to skip the upbringing part, and say someone was no good from the start, may I throw this in.

He has a bad personality trait.

เขาสันนคานไน่คี

kao san-daan mai dii

สันนคาน

a (bad) trait or behavior by birth.

(source: Speak like a thai. Vol 2. by Ms. Becker)

I believe you've hit the jackpot ! However, your spelling may need some minor correction.

It should be สันดาน as I showed your post to the vendor who came to my unit to install my anti-UV and anti-heat film.

In order for it to sound like a 'D' as in "Daan", it should be Dor Dek, and not Kor Kwai.

but สันดาน is a bit too harsh in thai

and sometime considered to be rude if not use properly.

if you use to comment a person directly. conversation is likely to going to turn into a fight.

You are absolutely right.

The true meaning of “upbringing” is “The traits acquired during one's childhood training; The raising or training of a child”, per

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/upbringing

Therefore, เลี้ยงดู is somewhat mild and สันดาน is the closest meaning but somewhat harsh and used to scold people as having bad trait.

ตระกูล (family trait) might be more appropriate.

but สันดาน is a bit too harsh in thai

and sometime considered to be rude if not use properly.

if you use to comment a person directly. conversation is likely to going to turn into a fight.

I'm aware that the word สันดาน is harsh, just like Thais would overreact to 'buffalo'. :)

I'm going to use it in the positive sense, to describe good upbringing.

I don’t think you’re correct in the assumption the word เลี้ยง is gonna sound "farmer" (which for the sake of not arguing :D I'll take it you meant held a more colloquially and not formal meaning). I just called my uni-educated former thai teacher and she said การเลี้ยงดูลูก is to raise/bring up children. While it is true the word เลี้ยง can carry the meaning in regards to animals of raise, breed, as in เลี้ยงสัตว์, raise animals or เลี้ยงปลา raise fish. No one in this country would ever mistake it for a derogatory term in regards to children.

My recollection wasn’t that good. This is the actual sentence.

She was raised in a conservative family.

เขาถูกเลี้ยงมาในครอบครัวหัวโบราณ

Strange I got almost the same thing out of reading the sentence (although I had a few mistakes I guess);

เขาถูกเลี้ยงมาในครอบครัวหัวโบราณ “She was brought up in a family which followed conservative/traditional values.”

To me it was not immediately apparent that the word ถูก showed this is a passively voiced statement. I'd incorrectly interpreted it to be "correctly raised" thinking it was a complimentary statement, although my former thai teacher pointed it out right off. That passive voice thing gets me every time in thai. :D

At least I got word มา right in that it only shows directionality; as the instilled knowledge she gained came from her family flowing towards (into) her.

The word หัว I puzzled over until I found it can also mean 'inclined to be' when used as a modifier and not the traditional word 'head' or "main piece'. But again, I was completely off base as my teacher said someone who is หัวโบราณ is 'conservative in their values as far as appearance and manners', or as she related it being a youngish 25+ y/o Bangkok born and bred girl; "their head is stuck in ancient times and they cannot embrace the modern changes to thai society" <-near direct quote.

I freely admit I tend to parse thai too much into the individual word by word definitions and often forget that compounding two words yields a meaning that is completely dissimilar to the stand alone meanings of each individual word. This one; หัวโบราณ wasn't far off, if indeed it means "their heads are still stuck in the past".

Ahh, the myriad of meanings in the thai language, no wonder I don't speak. .. :)

I guess it's time I finally enroll in one of the many schools I've reviewed, and actually learn to speak thai with thais. .. :D

Edited by tod-daniels

For ครอบครัวหัวโบราณ . . .

When I read it, and I could be wrong, I assumed หัว was referring to 'head', as in 'heads of the family'. To say something is อยู่หัว means it is at the top and respected, like a leader or king. In Thai culture, the elders have all the say in family matters. So I figured it means a family with traditional leaders, hence a conservative family.

(disclaimer: this is my interpretation/understanding, and not based on anything a Thai has said in reference to this)