Britons Close To Rioting At Thai Airport Hit By Red Shirt Mayhem

churchill

If I was there, I'd take a room at On Nut (if I wanted to hang around Bangkok) and be well away from it all, but near enough to town and the airport. I can't believe people have cut it so fine that they can't afford £20 a night for a few days rather than sleep on the floor at the airport.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People have been warned since early Feb. 2010 about possible problems and still they came why are they crying foul play now..........?

Nobody exept maybe a fortune teller from Sukhumvit, new in feb. about a coming vulcano eruption in Iceland!

One told me near the big Buddha in Koh Samui 2 years ago :)

If I was there, I'd take a room at On Nut (if I wanted to hang around Bangkok) and be well away from it all, but near enough to town and the airport. I can't believe people have cut it so fine that they can't afford £20 a night for a few days rather than sleep on the floor at the airport.

British famillies believe someone should be held to account over this act of nature, they shouldn't have to pay for food and a room for themselves, that would just be unreasonable. Some will have the money but be unwilling to spend it because they feel they shouldn't have to. Not the majority but believe me this will be the attitude of some.

Can't believe someone earlier still posts a 'Thailand is better than where you are' message even now. There's benefits and disadvantages to being in any one place in the world. I could think of a good reason to visit Baghdad but I'm not as defensive as some feel the need to be.

By all means, give these whinging Poms the cost of their hotels, food and whatever other expenses they may incur on their extended vacation.....on the condition that they surrender their passports on arrival back in the UK and promise never to leave their homeland again. <deleted>.

<br />I always hated having to leave wherever at the end of my vacation\holiday and I see these people whining to go back home when they have a valid excuse for staying longer and most of them are prob getting reimbursed for food and hotel &lt;deleted&gt; ?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Quite a few of these people just might have jobs to go to, families to look after etc. etc. Unexpected holidays are great if you have no real obligations, maybe not so great otherwise. Contract oragency workers may not have jobs anymore if they're stranded for any length of time.

As for being reimbursed for food and hotel expenses, civil disturbance is not usually covered by travel insurance.

No excuse for harassing airport staff. But the report mentions most people were grateful for assistance being offered and half the people there are not British. Keep it in perspective please.

By all means, give these whinging Poms the cost of their hotels, food and whatever other expenses they may incur on their extended vacation.....on the condition that they surrender their passports on arrival back in the UK and promise never to leave their homeland again. &lt;deleted&gt;.

That's pommie barsteward if you don't mind :)

Its a bargain at the moment!!!! Emirates

Returning

Mon 10 May

(THB)

Returning

Tue11 May

(THB)

Returning

Wed12 May

(THB)

Returning

Thu13 May

(THB)

Returning

Fri14 May

(THB)

Returning

Sat15 May

(THB)

Returning

Sun16 May

(THB)

Selected Dates:Departing : Returning : Price : THB*Total price in THB, including return airfare, taxes, and fees for 1 passenger(s). Conditions may apply for each fare.

Previous stepChange departure dateChange return dateConvert Currency

By all means, give these whinging Poms the cost of their hotels, food and whatever other expenses they may incur on their extended vacation.....on the condition that they surrender their passports on arrival back in the UK and promise never to leave their homeland again. &lt;deleted&gt;.

That's pommie barsteward if you don't mind :)

Yes, and we spawned many more little barstewards down under :D .

Unfortunately, IQ did not pass through the genes.

Returning

Mon 10 May

(THB)

Returning

Tue11 May

(THB)

Returning

Wed12 May

(THB)

Returning

Thu13 May

(THB)

Returning

Fri14 May

(THB)

Returning

Sat15 May

(THB)

Returning

Sun16 May

(THB)

Selected Dates:Departing : Returning : Price : THB*Total price in THB, including return airfare, taxes, and fees for 1 passenger(s). Conditions may apply for each fare.

Are those fees for return tickets? 63,000 Thai Baht? That sounds really steep, is it inflated or are those the norm?

I have friends in the UK and I extend my deepest sympathies to those inconvenienced by the volcano. I think the UK is just emerging from a really severe recession and things are quite tough for many Brits. No wonder riots are almost breaking out.

Only a few years ago, a pound was worth 65baht, yet now it's around 47. For stranded Brits having to pay for things in Baht, on cards or anything, that's really uncomfortable and they should be helped. I really don't understand the exchange rates, if I was into betting, I would have betted the other way after the 2006 coup, that the Thai would devalue against the pound. I can't believe since that miltary rule, 3 Thai PMs in 4 years and all the unrest that a pounds is now 47b - who decides this?

A Brit who paid 30,000 pounds for a condo four years ago, could now sell it for 40,000pounds equivilant - any Brits out there who are profiting at the moment? how did they do it?

I agree, but I also remember back in 1990, leaving San Jose del Cabo airport (Cabo San Lucas) Mexico and having tourist begging for $12 to pay the departure tax, they hadn't realized that it wasn't part of the ticket price and had spent every penny they had brought to Mexico! :)

I do not blame the British tourists.

The so called leaders of the political parties in the UK had a live televised debate on Thursday night but not one of them mentioned the plight and misery being caused to the thousands of British tourists stranded across the world.

Shows that these politicians only concern is feathering their own nests which is a worldwide attitude of political leaders and may be the reason why the Red Shirts movement here has evolved to its present state.

Speaking as a Pom.....I find myself agreeing with you :D Over the years I have watched the type of tourist around Asia change massively, mainly bought about by the advent of the internet and mobile phones. Prior to that many of these people would never have traveled to this part of the world. As long as it all goes well they are bigging it up, first hint of adversity and they are crying for the Nanny state to help them, I watched some of them on the news today as they sniveled about how scared they were to be "trapped" in Thailand, embarrassing.

Just don't get it, should have gone with a package tour, independent travelers they are not.

Stiill I suppose the Up side is that next time they want to venture further afield than Europe they will most likely give Asia a miss and head straight for Oz :D Do Poms riding bicycles still get free entry to safari parks ? :)

The problems have not reflected airline prices, at the moment i am coming out the end of May, and everything looks pricey at the moment. If anyone spots a good price around the 27th May, direct flight, please let me know

Sign up to Kayak daily email alerts, there will soon be quite a few cancellations creeping in and a few price rearrangements. However if its direct flights from the UK your looking at then simply not enough capacity to feed in any major price changes.

Having traveled extensively during my working career, most of my holidays were short trips from home. I was never burdened or blessed with a long family vacation anywhere. I used to watch the family's on long international flights and feel a little bit of awe that they could set out with the family with all the uncertainties there are in long distance travel. When a family is looking at a 1 to 2 week delay/change in their travel plans and all the other things that enter the equation, it has to be pushing the limit on patience, etc especially for those who live such orderly lives at home. As a single traveler, I used to approach this type of inconvenience as an adventure and see what could be done to work around it, but the majority of people we are hearing about are traveling with others.

If, as some have indicated, some airlines have increased fares, wont pay layover expense on connecting flights, etc then they should be brought to task immediately, with a stiff penalty. I am just glad I refused my family request to travel to Bangkok for the holidays, we all safe at home and back to the normal routine.

Excellent post. One of the problems is that modern, western people have been taught from birth that somebody is going to look after them in the event of an emergency... no matter what it is. Everybody expects instant gratification. Those that travel extensively through the less civilized parts of the world learn to adjust to adversity. My ex and her husband arrived in Santiago, Chili the day before the recent big earthquake. Fortunately, their hotel was not too badly damaged and they survived okay, but many places nearby did not. The earthquake certainly changed their holiday plans, but they took it as a different type of adventure. People who spend every last cent on their holiday and leave nothing in reserve, and then expect it is somebody else's fault when they haven't enough for an emergency only have themselves to blame.

I certainly believe that airlines who don't or won't stand up to their side of the bargain in an emergency are wrong. If the customers have ALREADY PAID THE AIRLINES and the flight is cancelled (for whatever reason) then any money paid should be returned. After that it should be up to the customer to adjust to other arrangements for later flights... with possibly higher costs.

I can understand the problems that traveling families with little children might face, but that is one of the risks of traveling with children. Other passengers on planes seldom like sitting near families with little children. It's not the children's fault that they cry or jump around on long flights.

Although I am single, retired and I travel a lot, I always have an emergency plan for when things go wrong... And, eventually they will. Lack of proper planning on my behalf does not mean an emergency for me is someone else's problem.

To any people stranded and need to be fairly near the airport - time wise and stay at a reasonable price and a pretty dam_n good value i recommend the Nasa Vegas hotel in Ramkampeng

It is minutes to the expressway and will take you straight to the airport in about 20 mins.

Its a really nice place and only 690 baht per night. If they had a pool this would def be classed as a 4 star hotel.

The OP said thatthe airport staff were even giving out free massages to stranded tourists. It looks like this story will have a happy ending after all.

haha

Have to watch where you walk on that polished floor.

My friend just told me, "don't bunch me with the whining English" I'm Scottish. :)

Aye we understand that while you stand in the middle of events there will be hours or days of boredom while the rest of the world catches up.

Normal day for us Scots really. :D

Returning

Mon 10 May

(THB)

Returning

Tue11 May

(THB)

Returning

Wed12 May

(THB)

Returning

Thu13 May

(THB)

Returning

Fri14 May

(THB)

Returning

Sat15 May

(THB)

Returning

Sun16 May

(THB)

Are those fees for return tickets? 63,000 Thai Baht? That sounds really steep, is it inflated or are those the norm?

I have friends in the UK and I extend my deepest sympathies to those inconvenienced by the volcano. I think the UK is just emerging from a really severe recession and things are quite tough for many Brits. No wonder riots are almost breaking out.

Only a few years ago, a pound was worth 65baht, yet now it's around 47. For stranded Brits having to pay for things in Baht, on cards or anything, that's really uncomfortable and they should be helped. I really don't understand the exchange rates, if I was into betting, I would have betted the other way after the 2006 coup, that the Thai would devalue against the pound. I can't believe since that miltary rule, 3 Thai PMs in 4 years and all the unrest that a pounds is now 47b - who decides this?

A Brit who paid 30,000 pounds for a condo four years ago, could now sell it for 40,000pounds equivilant - any Brits out there who are profiting at the moment? how did they do it?

Thailand did not have Gordon Brown as Prime Minister .....thats why the Thai baht is so strong

Being stuck in Thailand is way better than London or New York.

I suppose it depends on your perspective, whats the chance of getting blown up by a hand grenade in London or New york...?

Probably less than getting mugged, stabbed, robbed or shot, smart guy.