Australian Tourist Visa

I (Australian) am attempting to get a tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend.

I have read a lot and think I will soon be ready to send over the appliacation folder for her to take to the VFS office.

As she is currently unemployed I am finding it difficult to provide evidence that she will return to Thailand. So as I intend to return to Thailand and if I can supply evidence such as a copy of lease of room, enrolment in teaching course,stat dec, and copy passport with recent trips. It is then relevent that I supply evidence of relationship with Girlfriend such as Photos, emails etc.

In a roundabout way does this seem like evidence that she will retrurn to Thailand?

She has not travelled out of Thailand before and has a stamp for the sweedish embassy when she got a rejection last year.

Would it be the case that it is more difficult to obtain a 6 month than a 3 month visa? The main reason being providing evidence of ability to provide for financially.

Is it possible to extend the visa a 3 month visa for another 3 months while in Austalia.

Most importantly, if rejected how long before she can apply again?

Thank you for you time.

Does she have children?

Yes you need as much evidence of a relationship as possible, money in bank accounts ( your and hers)

You won't be able to extend the visa once she is in Australia.

No time limit from when you apply again, you just need to keep paying the fee. Although if you get rejected you shouldn't apply next month.

Friend of mine had a Thai girl come over to Australia 2 years ago, I think the longevity of the relationship plays a big part, if you've been together for a couple of months you probably won't get a visa.

Good Luck

You won't be able to extend the visa once she is in Australia.

I have previously extended the tourist visa in Australia.

It was a couple of years ago, but if memory serves me correctly it depends what conditions are marked on the tourist visa initially.

I believe there can be conditions, "No further stay" or "No further travel". I believe if there is a No further stay marked on the visa, then you cant extend. If it has "No further travel" you can extend but the person cannot go in and out of the country on that same visa.

OP your post is a little confusing.

You do not have to prove that you are in a relationship with your girlfriend. It is a tourist visa (s/c 676) that she will be applying for and not a spouse visa. It is not a visa where you have to prove that you are in a genuine relationship. Overplay the relationship side and it may be viewed as a reason to overstay.

You must however be able to show that you have known your girlfriend for a reasonable period time so that the DIAC decision maker can attach weight to any 'Letter of Support' that you provide (anything less than 6 months may not be viewed favorably. Include the 'Letter of Support' with your GF's 48r application. Q. How long have you known your GF for, how much contact have you had?

Your 'Letter of Support' should outline how long you have known your GF for. Furthermore the support that you will offer her whilst she is in Australia (meals, accommodation, food, incidentals etc). It is one thing to say that will provide the support, but back it up with supporting documentations, for example pay slips, copy of your rental agreement, bank statement etc. Your Letter of Support only goes towards satisfying the 'adequate funds criteria', which states that the applicant must have adequate funds, or access to adequate fund for the proposed purpose/duration of their stay in Australia. You 'Letter of Support' does not evidence reasons for her returning to Thailand prior to the expiration of her visa.

You state that she has is unemployed, Q. Has she ever had regular employment in the past? What family does she have in Thailand? Apart from you does she have any relatives or friends in Australia?

If you girlfriend is granted a tourist visa, then it will almost certainly have the 'no further stay' condition attached to it. In short, whilst in Australia she cannot apply for any other visa or extension (subject to a very few exceptions). If she applies for 6 months from the outset, she must have a chest x-ray.

All the best

Bridge

Thank you for your help.

She does not have children, Did have a job for 3 years untill 4 months ago.

I was proving my relationship with her as an intention of her returning to Thailand as If I can prove that i am intending to return and she is linked to me then it is also evidence that she intends to return.

Is it worth stating anything I have no evidence for, ie I have known her for longer that emails indicate? and that she contributes to the family small business and provides care for nephew.

Can i provide too much for a tourist visa? eg living expenses and letter from MP.

Are there any conditions that come with a rejection?

I am not enjoying the prolonged uncertainty and want to lodge that application just to get the rejection over and done with.

Then I may know what to work on.

Thanks again.

The word "relationship" -- the best definition is in the Oxford Australian English Dictionary, 6th Ed. which defines the word as (n) 1. state or instance of being related. 2. a connection or association.

(The colloq. or informal meaning of the word should not be used in a formal document).

So relationship could mean, legally married, defacto marriage, friend, aquaintance etc.

And you would be wasting your time trying to get a letter from your Federal or State Member.

You may supply information on financial support and accomodation but DIAC will want to see evidence that she will not overstay her visa. You are not sponsoring her, you are going as a guarantor for her stay in Australia on a 676 visa.

Edited by david96