Thai Protesters Brace For Crackdown As Compromise Rejected

webfact

some people in this blog are in deep denial about the depth of feeling among the Red masses. and they are fooling themselves about the relative power of the government, which is in freefall.

we are not witnessing a protest any longer. its a revolution.

Nobody doubts the deep routed lunacy of the red mob. What we are witnessing "now" is a bunch of uninformed or simply anger filled idiots following the guidance of leaders with their own agenda. Then there is the other part of who simply feel the need to put their faith in hardcore leaders because they cannot think for themselves and are easily led by lies and radical ideologies ... see history.

The "masses" as you incorrectly call them are simply unable to accept the world doesn't revolve around them and that in every democracy the way through change is by voting and voicing your concerns and ideas (which the reds have none). There is no civilized country in the world who will bow or negotiate to terroristic actions and threats regardless if the terrorists have a valid platform or not.

Beyond causing chaos, deaths, economic hardships for all of Thailand the reds have proposed NOTHING that will help the poor of this country except derailing the current and legal government and bypassing election laws and rules because they are unable to wait until the end of the year to vote ... why? Because they are following the orders and demands of one man whose interests are soley his own.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited Ratchaprasong last night. The turn out of Reds is huge, and is increasing markedly by the day. Any discussion of the army attacking it appears to be absolute propaganda, and propaganda that is backfiring as it appears to be drawing more Reds to the battle zone. A Red crowd this massive hasnt been seen since the opening day of the protest weeks back.

It is not the Reds who need to fear the goverment. They understand that if the Army attacks them, the risk is that the soldiers will turn on their own officers. Its hard to believe that the Reds wont continue to move the boundries of of their encampment further out along Sukhumvit. It already runs from MBK to Ploenchit. How long before they own Asoke?

With Red numbers like this, it is the ancien regime who must be quaking in their boots. Any one at Ratchaprasong last night might be forgiven from wondering is this isnt fast turning from a protest into a revolution.

all BS

Was there yesterday morning - was very quiet. Uploaded a photo in a thread on General Topics.

some people in this blog are in deep denial about the depth of feeling among the Red masses. and they are fooling themselves about the relative power of the government, which is in freefall.

I'm not saying you are wrong but what are your qualifications and references for such a sweeping statement please?

go take a look at what is actually happening, rather than base your views on a controlled press.

the number of Reds is huge, compared to the numbers at previous rallies, and rising. their energy and organization is no match for their opponents.

:):D:D:D

I think you're right about the depth of feeling among the Reds (both the minority at the actual protest and the majority at home in the provinces).

The PM actually made at least one correct statement when he said the problem is much bigger than Ratchaprasong.

Recent reports out of KKU have shown that even in "Red" provinces like Kohn Kaen that there is a split of about 50% of people against the dissolution of the house. So, with numbers dropping that steadily, in support of Thaksin's crowd ..... It shows the red's support even at home failing rapidly!

Do you have a source or link on that?

Actually, what most people are seeing is a small and very violent insurrection with the stated goal of returning a convicted criminal to power.

that's where i beg to differ: this isnt small. and certainly by the standards of past reactions of economic losers--eg, facisists--this is hardly violent.

huge numbers of Lao (Issan) people have been discriminated against for years. hope was given to them by T. that hope was taken away. nothing is more infuriating than hope denied.

there's no point in obsessing on Thaksin. the revolt he spawned is much much bigger than him. he was the spark, not the flame.

the Reds are either going to get their dissolution or try very hard to bring the ancien regime to her knees.

If they discard their signature red t-shirts we might need a new name for them. Any suggestions?

"The protesters formerly known as Reds" perhaps.

"Mallrats"

They answered that themselves;

Red Hearts

how about "loyalists" for a name change.

after all they revere the monarch, as always :) .

Edited by sealy

I think you're right about the depth of feeling among the Reds (both the minority at the actual protest and the majority at home in the provinces).

The PM actually made at least one correct statement when he said the problem is much bigger than Ratchaprasong.

Recent reports out of KKU have shown that even in "Red" provinces like Kohn Kaen that there is a split of about 50% of people against the dissolution of the house. So, with numbers dropping that steadily, in support of Thaksin's crowd ..... It shows the red's support even at home failing rapidly!

the red mob is going to be exiled to Bkk. :D:)

This totally ridiculous.

Only one group will attach the army during the crackdown and whole world already knows that.ir doesn’t matter if they are wearing Red shirt, white, or no shirt at all. As I see no one will condom the army for bring order to this country, when and if they are able

If they discard their signature red t-shirts we might need a new name for them. Any suggestions?

"Mallrats"

Red Hearts

"the thugs" would be my choice

I visited Ratchaprasong last night. The turn out of Reds is huge, and is increasing markedly by the day. Any discussion of the army attacking it appears to be absolute propaganda, and propaganda that is backfiring as it appears to be drawing more Reds to the battle zone. A Red crowd this massive hasnt been seen since the opening day of the protest weeks back.

It is not the Reds who need to fear the goverment. They understand that if the Army attacks them, the risk is that the soldiers will turn on their own officers. Its hard to believe that the Reds wont continue to move the boundries of of their encampment further out along Sukhumvit. It already runs from MBK to Ploenchit. How long before they own Asoke?

With Red numbers like this, it is the ancien regime who must be quaking in their boots. Any one at Ratchaprasong last night might be forgiven from wondering is this isnt fast turning from a protest into a revolution.

all BS

Was there yesterday morning - was very quiet. Uploaded a photo in a thread on General Topics.

Of course, it's always quiet in the morning. Most of the protesters are from Bangkok (contrary to the lies from the all pro-govt media saying they're all from the provinces) and they're at home sleeping. Every evening it turns into a sea of red as far as the eye can see in every direction from the stage.

Could someone enlighten me to this?

The country is going down the spout - government unstable - terrorists rule the capitol Bangkok a crackdown is eminent and the Thai baht is 43.00 to the Euro and under 50 to the pound sterling - 32.00 to the US$

This seems VERY strange - shouldn't the Baht be weak ???

Reading the farangs comment here on this board don't make me wonder that there where they come from the currency isn't much strong either.

I'm not saying you are wrong but what are your qualifications and references for such a sweeping statement please?

earthpig - first I would like to congratulate you on the fitting name choice - secondly it is quite obvious where you come from.

A revolution is carried out by people, usually by educated people such as students for a higher cause such as freedom or by people who want to change the political system. However, a few thousand, even a hundred thousand thugs make no revolution .. well may be on an Island in the Maldives, but not in a country with 61 Million people

Considering that Thailand is a free country and the only reason those thugs are here, trying to topple the legal government is money and the return of their master to call this a revolution would be a affront to any real revolution carried out in history. You are a lot of little thugs and criminals - nothing else

Yes, for many it is about money but the scary thing is it is not about the opportunity to earn money ... it is the demand to be given handouts. If a farmer cannot make money with all the subsidies and tax exemptions they are already given then they should get out of the business as would be the case in any unprofitable business. They should look for opportunity elsewhere but the problem is they just want handouts. Everyone cries about how hard it is to be a farmer but how many months a year do they work? Like any country now, if you want to make money you need to work for it and if you cannot come up with a way to work on your own then you need to move near to the city. You cannot have it both ways. You cannot be given free healthcare, education and money handouts (all happening now) and live the simply country life but demand others give you more of their hard earned money so you can have everything they have.

yes, do you have a link on that?

pray tell asap. :)

Nattawut has no credibility at all and none of the Kwai Daeng have any idea of the deliberate misinformation being proffered to the public. No, like the cowards they are - they are divided and they will fall. They are told what to do, they have laid siege to a city, they have broken far too many laws to be dealt with in this blog, they have a total disregard to authority. Time to treat them with the respect (not) they deserve. The saddest death is that of the 50 year old lady who was cut down at Sala Daeng when all she was doing was offering assistance to the soldiers with water and garlands, showing her support. Nothing is more tragic, even surpassing the damage done to the Kwai Daeng and soldiers still hospitalised. Those at least played the odds and were involved thus were aware of the risks. She was not.

Mob Rule - is this the type of people Thai's want for their governance? Hardly.

Most Thai people are peaceful, mindful of family and respect other peoples property. Those behind the barricades have no traits left of any civilised people and making demands that will not solve anything is the crux of the stupidity of their actions.

The leaders may have been spoiling for violence for weeks, now dragging in innocents in children and woman, and constantly deny video evidence they are the instigators of mercenaries and evil attacks, yet seem to think they can make demands on the Govt and seek audiences with royalty!

Unfortunately the Mob being paid have sympathisers from the communist coloured rabble, and are reluctant to vent anger and retaliatory violence on friends and neighbours.

The PM has his work cut out but it is time to reciprocate their violence and clear the streets of this disgraceful mob of thugs. The senior thug, paying the bills from offshore is nothing short of another Osama Bin Laden and there should be a price on his head, his family and Interpol should be brought in to serve justice. Only time will tell. :)

The govt should seal off the barricades now and not allow anyone in or out. Then when anger and violence are brought to their knees, arrests, incarceration will annul the blood shed. But considering the Kwai Daeng had no resistance in bringing in all this garbage and barricades in the first place, it is unlikely anyone will stop them when they leave. Yes, remove your shirts but surveillance cameras will know who you are.

Suggestion - fire the Police force from Sergeant up and have the lower ranks inducted into military then let the military run the country. It will be far less corrupt, more likely to take orders and putting a broom through the corrupt Police brass would be a welcome change. :D

Edited by asiawatcher

the refrains keep coming in. Any intellect to be found in the movement and especially the dog-tor?

Weng: PM is a tyrant and a murderer who has never provided evidence that reds have terrorists among them. etc. etc.

9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

"Mallrats"

Red Hearts

You may want to check your facts a bit.

Nobody doubts the deep routed lunacy of the red mob. What we are witnessing "now" is a bunch of uninformed or simply anger filled idiots following the guidance of leaders with their own agenda. Then there is the other part of who simply feel the need to put their faith in hardcore leaders because they cannot think for themselves and are easily led by lies and radical ideologies ... see history.

The "masses" as you incorrectly call them are simply unable to accept the world doesn't revolve around them and that in every democracy the way through change is by voting and voicing your concerns and ideas (which the reds have none). There is no civilized country in the world who will bow or negotiate to terroristic actions and threats regardless if the terrorists have a valid platform or not.

Beyond causing chaos, deaths, economic hardships for all of Thailand the reds have proposed NOTHING that will help the poor of this country except derailing the current and legal government and bypassing election laws and rules because they are unable to wait until the end of the year to vote ... why? Because they are following the orders and demands of one man whose interests are soley his own.

there is much you say that i agree with, but none of this is my point. my point is that the Red tide is rising, and if this continues it will soon be a tsunami.

plenty of mass movements in history have had no real agenda other than to destroy the world around them. see khmer rouge and fascists, for example.

could the thai Reds be a version of these?

of course, they could. it depends on whether they win, and then on their leaders. people with a stake in thailand certainly have reason to be concerned.

but again, that isnt my point today.

which is that the red tide is demonstrably rising, and the government's is ebbing, fast.

the refrains keep coming in. Any intellect to be found in the movement and especially the dog-tor?
Weng: PM is a tyrant and a murderer who has never provided evidence that reds have terrorists among them. etc. etc.

9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Propaganda school first class - the truth is of no consequence - even if facts are 100% clear you must deny them - always blame the opposition for everything -

besides the fact that intellect among the reds is about as common as are pork chops on a Saudi dinner table

* Bangkok Post article deleted *

I think the forum rules preclude us from quoting and linking Bangkok Post articles. I don't care for the policy myself, but I comply with it.

I understood that it was not TV 'policy' but the Bangkok Post who do not allow quotes/links.

Am I wrong ?

I don't know from which side it originates from, only that it is prohibited by forum rule 31 and will be deleted.

Edited by kentucky

all BS

Of course, it's always quiet in the morning. Most of the protesters are from Bangkok (contrary to the lies from the all pro-govt media saying they're all from the provinces) and they're at home sleeping. Every evening it turns into a sea of red as far as the eye can see in every direction from the stage.

Don't exaggerate now...

Given the article in the post you can see why the Reds are now changing to multicolor shirts.

With the militant forces and Abhisit ready to spray them with machine gun fire so it is said, it makes sense to now wear mutlicolors as it helps Anupong again delay military action, he will say things have changed and too many innocents could get killed.

It allows anti-propaganda when the dead bodies on the streets are all in different color shirts and so shows the reds are more intelligent than Abhisit and co, will the potential "Butcher of Bangkok" be prepared for the world to see multicolor shirted dead bodies all over Bangkok whilst claiming strongly they are all reds in disguise ?

Team Yellow will now have to go back to wearing Yellow and not multicolor perhaps ?

team yellow can don red too and start firing the first shots and then quickly don yellow again , you know.... :):D:D:D:D

the number of Reds is huge, compared to the numbers at previous rallies, and rising.

Is it bigger than the 20 million protesters that Veera said would attend the April 3rd rally?

according to reliable sources of the red shirts, the number of the mob seeking to be mopped has increased to 120 000 000. The diplomatic corps promised to send some from their own respective countries. :):D :D

I wouldn't be surprising if that comes as their next statement. Thugs' logic applied. :D

BP article that was also quoted in a tweet on yesterday's rally page. 51.5% 48.5% (statistically equal) Edited by jdinasia

The Abhisit/Anupong address on t/v today (even when the signal was interrupted briefly :) ) was the most united I've ever seen those two guys. Despite the press painting them always at odds, it was a pretty darned good interview, and covered a LOT of good points in explaining to the public at large just what is going on, and WHY Abhisit can't/won't bow to the 'demands' of a few to the detriment of the many.

I totally concur with this premise; the way forward cannot be for the sake of the minority or thru the 'gun-boat-diplomacy' the red-rabble is using to hold hostage the commercial district of Bangkok.

I find it admirable, Abhisit acknowledges that a Lower House dissolution is, in all probability, a positive way forward for the country as a whole. BTW: he has have EVERY right to stick to his party's mandate via the constitution in place now to be PM until his term is up late 2011. That's the next scheduled elections for MP's.

Dissolving the Lower House to call for 'snap elections' at this point in time would benefit no one but the radical redz. In fact it would hurt MP's who ran, won, and voted for the PM of their choice, by forcing them to run again for no reason. Don't forget the Demz need to pass the 2010 country's budget, be in power for the hand off of the Military when Anupong is forced to retire, not to mention the amendments to the charter (constitution) which must be made BEFORE a dissolution, and elections, or the elections will be no better than last time.

Whine all you want but Abhisit is the rightful PM under this constitution, just like Samak & Somchai were (and who ALSO got to be PM via a coalition of parties too, as they didn’t hold a majority of MP seats!!). That the Demz were able to garner a coalition of MP's to give them the majority and there by the mandate to run the government is totally and completely in line with how the constitution reads.

Don't forget when Newin Chidchob and his 'friends of Newin' group of nearly 40 MP's defected to the Demz side, Thaksin came out and called him 'traitor to the people'. Hmm, sounds like sour grapes to me. Although FWIW I trust Newin Chidchob, his Bhum-Jai-Thai party and the "Friends of Newin Group" of MP's about as far as I can throw them.

The redz are fast losing steam in their "rally for the good of the people", which is actually a rally for a minority of people who are upset their party can't get a majority of MP seats in the lower house and get to run the government. Let's get it straight, first during negotiations with the government their "demand' was dissolve the Lower House in 15 days, then after April 10th, their 'demand(s)' morphed into immediatly disolve the Lower House AND for Abhisit to leave the country. Now they've back pedaled into their newest 'demand' of a 30 day dissolution, and not a mention of Abhisit needing to leave the country. It is all too apparent the red-rabble's credibility as well as their wellmeaning supporters are growing less and less every day; I think it's a matter of time until the Military just disperses the 2000 or so who are hiding in the shade during the heat of the day.

In re-conning the protest site nearly every other day at various times, I fould the crowds are at their absolute lowest between about 1:30 and 3:30PM every day. The number swells in the evening when people are off work and when it is cooler than sitting on the scorching pavement under piss poor shade cloth. Given this country relies on the Armed Services, unlike the US, who uses the National Guard for crowd dispersal when they get out of hand, a night time dispersal will be both difficult to coordinate and control.

For the record I am PRO-DEMOCRACY. I am not a red, yellow, green, dark blue, or sky-blue-pink shirt; although I share some of each factions ideology in the way forward for the country. As the constitution currently in effect is written; the people in power now have 100% of the right to be there.

Don't like it?

Lobby your MP's to change the constitution.

Don't like who your elected MP voted for as PM?

Next time think about who you're voting for and what they will do for you before selling your vote or voting as the Nai or Puu-yai-ban of your village dictated.

Thai democracy, Google it, it's a hoot to read. ..

earthpig - first I would like to congratulate you on the fitting name choice - secondly it is quite obvious where you come from.

A revolution is carried out by people, usually by educated people such as students for a higher cause such as freedom or by people who want to change the political system. However, a few thousand, even a hundred thousand thugs make no revolution .. well may be on an Island in the Maldives, but not in a country with 61 Million people

Considering that Thailand is a free country and the only reason those thugs are here, trying to topple the legal government is money and the return of their master to call this a revolution would be a affront to any real revolution carried out in history. You are a lot of little thugs and criminals - nothing else

Yes, for many it is about money but the scary thing is it is not about the opportunity to earn money ... it is the demand to be given handouts. If a farmer cannot make money with all the subsidies and tax exemptions they are already given then they should get out of the business as would be the case in any unprofitable business. They should look for opportunity elsewhere but the problem is they just want handouts. Everyone cries about how hard it is to be a farmer but how many months a year do they work? Like any country now, if you want to make money you need to work for it and if you cannot come up with a way to work on your own then you need to move near to the city. You cannot have it both ways. You cannot be given free healthcare, education and money handouts (all happening now) and live the simply country life but demand others give you more of their hard earned money so you can have everything they have.

a revolution is carried out by educated people,only sometimes, at the top; and very uneducated people, usually, at the bottom. the nazis had only one educated man in their leadership (goebbels) and the average brown shirt footsoldier was harldly educated. the khmer rouge peasants, or the bolshevik ones, were hardly educated.

a far better rule of thumb is that revolutions are led by charismatic people. and, by the way, if you dont know what charisma means, then just go to ratchaprasong and see how the assembled masses listen and cheer.

Don't exaggerate now...

There are less people there, even at night now, than attend a pro sporting event.

THE NATION: around 200 men on motocycle and pickups are heading to PM's house on Sukhumvit 31. via JS100 Radio.

Red shirts or decent law-abiding citizens?

Apparently affecting the Rama1 and lower Suk malls wasn't enough so they need to affect Emporium too .....

Since the gatherings have been deemed illegal you can't call the red shirts 'decent law-abiding citizens'.

Since we have the state of exception decency became blurry.

THE NATION: Sukhumvit 31 returns to peace!!! UDD guys have been back to Rajprasong after learning that PM is not at his home.

He hasn't been at home for the last 4 weeks! And what were they planning to do if he had been at home?