Thai PM Abhisit Vows To Retake Bangkok Protest Site

webfact

I'll bet none of you know the history of the Thammasat students who were slaughtered in 1976.

Have you seen the pictures or the video?

Yes I know the history of Thammasat 1976, I was living just a few miles away at the time and watching the whole thing on the TV.

I remember quite clearly how four officials, waving a large white flag were gunned down by the students as they were walking in through the main gate to negotiate a ceasefire. The students were on the 3rd floor stairs and used a M50 heavy caliber machine gun to kill the four officers.

After that all hel_l broke lose and I remember the crowd grabbing a student, hanging him and then burning him alive in what used to be the old Sunday market.

The students were out and out communists in those days, and the ones that escaped out the back and up the river, went to live in China. Now must are back in Thailand after they were awarded immunity from prosecution.

I dont think so!! This was never on TV. Do you really believe that you sat in bkk watching a live massacre without the govt turning off the signal!! The govt did not go in waving white flags. They were incensed by a mock hanging that they considered lese majeste and went in all guns blazing. You can find the footage on you tube. Samak Sundaravej was heavily involved and until his death lied about the day, saying only one student was killed in the battle!!

Oh! But it was on TV as the government of that period wanted to show the country the true extent of the communist insurgency in Thailand. And the four officers did indeed wave a large white flag, and were gunned down as they crossed the threshold onto university grounds. I don't need any footage from "youtube" which by the way has been heavily edited over the years, as I was just around the corner and know more about it than you ever will. The police/army went in guns blazing after the four guys had been shot, and all 4 were unarmed.

One of my next door neighbours was involved in that incident but managed to escape to China, he came back around 10 years ago.

Check your history, Thailand had a communist insurgency problem, and Thammasat was a breeding ground for "reds', the night before the incident, thousands of pro government supporters were bussed into Bangkok and were standing around outside the university to lend support to the army and police. I saw them.

I also saw the M50 machine gun that the students used to kill the 4 and then to fire on the police and crowd outside.

So, when you are ignorant, try not to show it to the public jucel.

I don't care about the tape on youtube as it has been heavily edited as I said before. The whole incident went on all day, not just for 10 minutes.

Funny you are the only one in the world with this "secret" knowledge. Im thinking its more likely you are some old man who was one of those commie hating guys from the 50's and still thinks the exact same way.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you are the only one in the world with this "secret" knowledge. Im thinking its more likely you are some old man who was one of those commie hating guys from the 50's and still thinks the exact same way.

No, "sillyman", go back to the original sources and you will find the truth. Historical evidence is very often tampered with in Asia, look back at Thailand's history over the past 50 years, many facts have indeed been changed or edited out.

On youtube you can see a 10 minute, heavily edited version of events, but the incident took all day to conclude.

You really think that because you see a 10 minute video you know the real "truth".

If you do then you are most certainly a FOOL. End of story.

Reading TV over the years, I'm starting to wonder if a key reason for the increasingly tough visa regulations is that the Thai authorities regularly read this forum, and have come to the conclusion that its more outspoken members represent a fair cross-section of farang expats or would-be expats.

Who I am to argue against that theory. I could try, but I wouldn't sound too convincing.

An unbelievably high proportion of gung-ho comments and noisy, simplistic polemics from all sides, although I appreciate the silent majority may have more measured opinions.

Those who are silent or who agree with you 'have more measured opinions.'

Sounds a bit holier-than-thou, if you ask me.

That is what is known as a 'straw man'.

Several posts have been removed/moderator action taken. A reminder of ThaiVisa's zero tolerance policy on political threads:

Given the highly inflammatory nature of some posts and posters in the News forum, we are currently instituting a zero tolerance policy with regards to posting inflammatory comments, comments advocating violence, trollish comments, and flames. You will receive an automatic posting rights suspension for this behavior in the News forum. Bear that in mind when posting.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Warning-Advi...90#entry3530790

All 7-elevens in Rajaprarop have now been restocked and re-enforced. They have fancy new metal shades covering all the glass windows, and half open ones over the doors.

The staff is also about to close the shops. The manager said she had enough of this already and just wants to leave together with her staff.

Me thinks something will happen very soon.

On another note, the usual 12.45 am re-enforcements to the red cause arrived whole 2 hours early today.

I posted video of them about 24 hours ago, today looked no different. A note to take back previous claim, that the buses looked different - they are not. Same buses and seems same people returning every night. From where, I've no clue.

Thank you for your report :)

bangkokpundit Army had drawn up a diagram on the conspiracy to overthrow the ^^^ http://bit.ly/9WrJ2l Enlarged version here. http://bit.ly/cLyog0

bangkokpundit About the only interesting thing from that army diagram is the including of Suriya Jungrungreangkit, former Transport Minister

less than a minute ago via Echofon

http://twitter.com/bangkokpundit

has anyone read the bangkok post columns or seen the news on the "mysterious" men in black? Who do you suppose they really are? They've been seen in and among the red shirt "barricades" so it would appear if they were foes there would've been a clash.

One has to wonder how all this can go on when it gets to sucha level as guys in black with machine gus can roam around like mercenaries and assassins.

Time to bring this to an end. The "formerly red shirts now known as colorless shirts" don't want a peaceful end, so I guess sooner or later here, they'll get what they're askin' for, maybe more than they bargained for.

My favourite author, Hunter S. Thompson, had an uncanny knack for getting to the core, or heart, of the human experience. The big picture wasn't his domain. He was able to regularly sidestep the rhetoric, and the righteousness of the cause, and go straight to the stuff that really mattered; our strengths, weaknesses and frailties. It's the stuff that really makes us tick, that shows us up for what we really are. The world hasn't had many real heroes; people who are genuinely selfless and who's actions speak louder than any self aggrandizing rhetoric. The most recent one I can think of was Sir Edmund Hillary. A completely selfless and humble individual who, after accomplishing some genuinely herculean feats in his younger years, spent the remainder of his life doing all that he was able to for the good of the people in a remote part of this planet. As good old Hunter so correctly points out, most of us are just self absorbed and in it for what we can get. Now there's actually nothing wrong with that as long as you're not trying to tell everyone else something to the contrary; that you're here for the good of the cause, or your fighting the good fight, when, in fact, the others can clearly see that you're rhetoric isn't matched by your actions. Credibility, of course, is what we're talking about and the reds leaders, as far as I'm concerned, have a definite credibility issue. I don't have any issues with their political aspirations or the fact that they've stated, on more than one occasion, that they're willing to fight to the death for their cause; all good stuff for the five o'clock news. If they want to die, fighting the good fight, all well and good but why, tell me, do they need to hide behind a wall of women and children? Where's the courage of their convictions? Perhaps they're not as committed to their cause as they'd have us believe.

Nothing better than that armchair warrior ? No answer to your hate ? Only one of me I dont hide behind anything. Guess you cant read with all that hate in your eyes. I dont support either side, but I see their points and dont wish harm to either side unlike you and many others on here hiding behind your keyboards spouting hate shit.

Some red cheerleaders think they are wearing camouflage at the keyboard, but press the right button and they go whoosh!

Most of the hate they wear themselves like some cheap aftershave.

Khao Sod reported on April 24th that Bangkok Post military reporter, Wassana Nanuam, has temporarily left the "Lab Luang Prang" radio program on 100.5 MHz (MCOT). Khao Sod says the program, which analyzes military and security issues, only had Pachara Sanpimpa on Saturday's program, citing Wassana as unavailable. The report said normally even if a host doesn't come to the MCOT studio they will telephone in, but in Wassana's case there wasn't a phone report or anything. The political situation right now is "too sensitive", preventing her from doing the program in full, which is to present news from every color and side. Wassana will stay off the program until the political situation eases, freedom to report the news improves, or MCOT finds a replacement. Importantly she doesn't want to create problems for people at MCOT who she has heard get into trouble because of the program.

Khao Sod says the reason Wassana stopped doing the program is because Suthep (Deputy PM, Security) ordered no interviews with "red soldiers", only interviews with soldiers who support the government. Wassana thinks this situation doesn't allow her to fulfill her duty as a reporter. Normally, Lab Luang Prang has balanced interviews with soldiers from both colors and sides. But when the government only allows interviews from one side, it doesn't follow the program objective. It becomes a program that attacks the government opposition, and there are many of these kinds of programs already.

http://siamreport.blogspot.com/2010/04/off...st-wassana.html

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.p...XdNemN3TVE9PQ==

I think what is happening is the police have never really been supportive of the Dem gov't and are quietly supporting Thak and the redshirts through inaction. Don't forget that Thak was once a policeman and I think he had the machine pretty greased when he was in charge. The Army I believe has put itself in a difficult situation. I believe they are still angered over the "bomb finding machine" and "air balloon" scandals that really made them lose face and look silly. I think they believe Ab stepped over the line criticizing these formerly "untouchable" types of programs designed to pad their pockets. So the Army is punishing Ab and the Dems through their inaction. No one seems to know which way to go. The easy way out for the Army would be to allow the protesters to clash among themselves and they can break it up like a good referee proving their worth and demonstrating to be apolitical. The whole problem with this is the Army is a tool of the state designed to protect the state in extraordinary circumstances and to act at the call of the Government. If you cannot control your machinery of government you cannot control your state. Not Abs fault but the problem lies in the Army itself. Best to reorganize the Army at first chance. You cannot have an Army that acts independently and on its own authority. In essence then you have military rule. Perhaps the true lesson in all of this will be that regardless of actions by protesters to create a more democratic government (not that this is happening at present to any significant extent) does it really matter if the Army is really in control in the end?

Frightening thing is the Army may very well be negotiating with both the Reds and the Dems. As per what is in it for them if they stop the uprising? What is in it for them if they create a military coup due to what they will call mitigating circumstance then stating that they will demand elections in say three months which will give them even more time to parlay a nice deal for themselves and at the same time appearing to be the protectorate of the people and the Democratic process. The big winner in the end could very well be the Army and not the Democratic process.

Sad thing is that I really believe Ab is a reformer. He has taken on various elements of corruption in Thailand and this may be his undoing. The wheels of change move slowly in Thailand but I think if Ab is given a chance he can make positive change. If anyone thinks that the status quo can or will be changed overnight by a series of demonstrations and violence, with our without Thak's guidance, they are sadly mistaken. It will take a lot of time, effort and the right combination of courageous and dedicated leaders to do this.

Why doesn't Thailand use crowd dispersal measures such as water cannons and rubber bullets? They seem to work in other places.

Guess you didn't see much of what was going on earlier... the protesters kidnapping and disarming police and army, even commandos that went to arrest one of the redshirt leaders ended up disarmed and locked up in a room for the media to take photos of.

Not to mention the water canons that were sent to Rajaprasong, and got hijacked even before getting there. Army had to negotiate to get them back.

There were many slip-ups like that in the past month or so.

We're yet to see how successful this attempt would get. I already said that given where the reds are encamped, and how determined they are to burn the area to the ground, this will turn very ugly very quickly, with army possibly fighting a losing battle.

I do understand the need for the government to remove the redshirts from the area.

I am just not sure if the show of muscles will achieve what it needs to, in order to bring peace.

On the other hand - the "peaceful" militants have been pushing for this much too long and the government, army, police and honestly the whole country looks like a joke because of this, and while the international community always comes up with wishes that things are resolved peacefully, it is nearly never the case.

I mean, if you were US, and you can't stay quiet, what should you say? "Blast'em!"? Obviously not. That doesn't mean that behind the official facade there isn't understanding that sometimes the most unpopular method needs to be used when all the others are tried and failed.

Whatever happens next, stay safe, everyone.

Could the armed encampment be "just blasted". Absolutly, but normal morality will not allow it.

Too many complanin on here nobody offers any alternitives...so let me give it a shot.

1. The protesters need to be shut down, as they have morfed into a para-military group with road blocks, dictating the movement of police and troops, conducting searches of anybody they desire for any reason, targeted assisinations....all these are way outside the bounds of a "protest".

2. A reasonable amoutn of force will be necessary to dismantly the encampment, yet a need to safegaurd the government that has the task to do so..

3. A possible solution:

a. Put the snipers in high buildings surounding the area to protect against M79 and other attacks like happened last time.

b. Bring up armored vehicles with dozer attachements on the front to clear the roads.

c. Bring up flame throwers to and start out of range moving up. People will never stand in fight with the possibility of becoming a crispy critter.

d. Circle the helicopters for intimidation

e. Cut all electricity in the area.

f. Have heavy reinforecemnt of police to arrest all those fleeing, and then sort them out, so those with arrest warrents can be detainied.

g. If they are available, the USA used some sonic weapons for crowd control in Iraq...pretty succefully. Nice bloodless tool. Block the side streets with these, and herd them to the collection points like at the sports areana area.

I believe this opeation could be carried out quickly...the main dangers is that of compromise by the traitors within the government that wish to see the group succeed.

Even with the most carefully laid plans can there be death and injuries...yes...but it is the price you pay for the side you support.

Let the flames begin...but this is a surgical, non-violent way to bring it all to an end.

Could the armed encampment be "just blasted". Absolutly, but normal morality will not allow it.

Too many complanin on here nobody offers any alternitives...so let me give it a shot.

1. The protesters need to be shut down, as they have morfed into a para-military group with road blocks, dictating the movement of police and troops, conducting searches of anybody they desire for any reason, targeted assisinations....all these are way outside the bounds of a "protest".

2. A reasonable amoutn of force will be necessary to dismantly the encampment, yet a need to safegaurd the government that has the task to do so..

3. A possible solution:

a. Put the snipers in high buildings surounding the area to protect against M79 and other attacks like happened last time.

b. Bring up armored vehicles with dozer attachements on the front to clear the roads.

c. Bring up flame throwers to and start out of range moving up. People will never stand in fight with the possibility of becoming a crispy critter.

f. Have heavy reinforecemnt of police to arrest all those fleeing, and then sort them out, so those with arrest warrents can be detainied.

g. If they are available, the USA used some sonic weapons for crowd control in Iraq...pretty succefully. Nice bloodless tool. Block the side streets with these, and herd them to the collection points like at the sports areana area.

I believe this opeation could be carried out quickly...the main dangers is that of compromise by the traitors within the government that wish to see the group succeed.

Even with the most carefully laid plans can there be death and injuries...yes...but it is the price you pay for the side you support.

Let the flames begin...but this is a surgical, non-violent way to bring it all to an end.

This is a "a surgical, non-violent way"???? Are you sure?

Why Farangs from the USA wanna start a war in Thailand?

3. A possible solution:

The war was started by your hero Thaksin and his red stage army.

Red cheerleaders always blaming others for the red violence.

3. A possible solution:

Your hidden mission can actually only be to paint the 'anti-reds' as most dumb and redundant as possible at this board. Needed like a hole in the head.

In other words, you are a hidden red agent, acting as a stupid on the other side.

Why doesn't Thailand use crowd dispersal measures such as water cannons and rubber bullets? They seem to work in other places.

3. A possible solution:

Kissdani states, "nobody offers any alternatives." Not true, I have offered specific suggestions in many posts recently and interestingly, some of my ideas (for alleviating the troubles in Bkk) dovetail with your. However, I haven't mentioned helicopters nor flame throwers. Both of those are too extreme by far.

The barricades are in an odd configuration. They're not in a lump, but rather strung out along road grids, which makes it particularly challenging for law enforcement. Any action by authorities would have to be multi-pronged and would entail a lot of disciplined personnel. The lines of barricades would have to be severed at several places, and manned by stalwart troops - thereby isolating small groups. Obviously, the chore would be a easier if the gov't had acted dynamically sooner, but they vacillated so long, that now it's a lot tougher.

Security has to be resolute and tough. They can't continue to be wishy washy and vacillating. Unless the Reds/No-Colors disperse on their own, the resulting clean up will have harm and suffering involved. The Reds know it, and they act like they welcome it, but as soon as the crap really hits the fan, they will immediately cry for it to stop, complain loudly, and seek to fix blame on Ab and his crew. Oh, and their in-house combat trained men will immediately get their weapons out and fire away.

In order for a a team of surgeons to excise a diseased organ, there will have to be incisions and blood.

The Australian Government wishes to advise citizens travelling to Thailand.To buy one red shirt one yellow shirt and one pink shirt.This will keep most Thai people happy.Do not take any notice of the local police or military because they have no power.example Dads Army.Come and go as you please because crackdowns, civil wars,take overs mean nothing in Thailand.Buy one Thai flag wave when in public and you will not have to buy an expensive flack jacket and helmet and boots.For more updates go to www.a laugh.a.minute.com.au :)

I have come to the conclusion that Abhisit wants to be removed by a coup.

It would look much better than being in the history books as PM while Thais killed each other. When asked how all this came about, he can honestly (!) say "I did nothing."

I still hate these Taksin-bought morons on the street, but I'm disgusted with the lack of action.

Police/army are stopped and searched for weapons by armed civilians? Armed civilians seizing military convoys? Blocking major motor/traffic ways with no sign of police interference? Sounds like the gov't has been dissolved.

No, "sillyman", go back to the original sources and you will find the truth. Historical evidence is very often tampered with in Asia, look back at Thailand's history over the past 50 years, many facts have indeed been changed or edited out.

On youtube you can see a 10 minute, heavily edited version of events, but the incident took all day to conclude.

You really think that because you see a 10 minute video you know the real "truth".

Right 10 minutes is obviously edited, this doesn't explain how you are the only person I have ever heard with this version of history. Hey man, I'm eager to learn, point me in the right direction to get this info you've got. Right now we've only got your word.

Right 10 minutes is obviously edited, this doesn't explain how you are the only person I have ever heard with this version of history. Hey man, I'm eager to learn, point me in the right direction to get this info you've got. Right now we've only got your word.

No, it is about 10 hours worth of film that has been edited down to only 10 minutes. The incident was on the TV nearly the whole of that day.

For a start you can look for eyewitnesses, and there were many thousands of them. You can check the Bangkok Post archives as I am sure they had some reporters there since they used to have their office near the Democracy monument in the 70s, nearly next door to the hotel on the corner. Then you can ask Channel 5 if you can see their archives. There were also dozens of soldiers and police that were there, so really there's no excuse for not being able to find at least a dozen eyewitnesses.

Anyway, I don't have to prove a thing to the likes of you, we all saw it at the time, that's good enough for me.

Premise: Thailand is #1 in % of katoy among young male population. Some would say well in to the double digits.

There are basically two types of katoy:

Type A - who get offended easily and immediately vent anger and recrimination.

Type B - who wilt away from confrontation.

The majority of members on both sides of the Red barricades are young men.

Type A katoy generally side with the Red shirts, which would explain why they get hot headed and are so quick to aggression.

Type B katoy are among the ranks of security forces. That would explain why they allow themselves, their weapons and vehicles to be commandeered so easily.

Black Shirts??????!!!!!!??????

Are we seeing flashbacks of a historic Jewish/Chinese elite Phobia

Flashbacks of perhaps - Dictatorships And NAZI Germany...

For those that believe in Karma and Rebirth - Could Toxsin be Adolf In a different Body?

These are all questions which although completely ludicrous to a forum like this - Make perfect sense in the Twilight Zone....

Guess you didn't see much of what was going on earlier... the protesters kidnapping and disarming police and army, even commandos that went to arrest one of the redshirt leaders ended up disarmed and locked up in a room for the media to take photos of.

Not to mention the water canons that were sent to Rajaprasong, and got hijacked even before getting there. Army had to negotiate to get them back.

There were many slip-ups like that in the past month or so.

We're yet to see how successful this attempt would get. I already said that given where the reds are encamped, and how determined they are to burn the area to the ground, this will turn very ugly very quickly, with army possibly fighting a losing battle.

I do understand the need for the government to remove the redshirts from the area.

I am just not sure if the show of muscles will achieve what it needs to, in order to bring peace.

On the other hand - the "peaceful" militants have been pushing for this much too long and the government, army, police and honestly the whole country looks like a joke because of this, and while the international community always comes up with wishes that things are resolved peacefully, it is nearly never the case.

I mean, if you were US, and you can't stay quiet, what should you say? "Blast'em!"? Obviously not. That doesn't mean that behind the official facade there isn't understanding that sometimes the most unpopular method needs to be used when all the others are tried and failed.

Whatever happens next, stay safe, everyone.

3. A possible solution:

I like it Sounds like a good Burger King commercial. Flame broiled to perfection...have it your way.

It would definitely clear out the protesters. I doubt if 1000 baht a day is worth getting annihilated over.

The Armored cars with dozer attachments would mow down the opposition for sure. Even some old napalm to suck the oxygen out of the area(not to burn or cause agent orange syndrome) would render the reds useless & wishing they would have those Ruby slippers There's no place like home 3 times & back upcountry again DOH. Probably not do wonders with the international community, but Thailand does not really seam to care about that much & the upside Abhisit would dodge the yellow belly sap sucker image he has been given.

I am sure he wishes it was that easy.

No, it is about 10 hours worth of film that has been edited down to only 10 minutes. The incident was on the TV nearly the whole of that day.

For a start you can look for eyewitnesses, and there were many thousands of them. You can check the Bangkok Post archives as I am sure they had some reporters there since they used to have their office near the Democracy monument in the 70s, nearly next door to the hotel on the corner. Then you can ask Channel 5 if you can see their archives. There were also dozens of soldiers and police that were there, so really there's no excuse for not being able to find at least a dozen eyewitnesses.

Anyway, I don't have to prove a thing to the likes of you, we all saw it at the time, that's good enough for me.

You misunderstood. I said RIGHT 10 minutes of footage is OBVIOUSLY edited, meaning ya I can see that an entire day has been edited down to 10 minutes so yes I agree with you. It's quite obviously edited down.

Likes of me? Hey, go screw yourself lol :) . How am I a bad person for asking you to explain how with a memorial EVERY YEAR and all the information readily available on the net and other sources that you are the first and only person I have ever heard say your version of history? Now at the moment EVERYONE judges the government and military at that time to be akin to evil, so how on gods name could it be in their interest to cover the truth that they were justified in going in their and killing people? As it stands we all think they were unjustified, you do realise the history they teach about that event everywhere is that the military went in and massacered innocent children for the ridiculous reason that the press shopped up a photo of the students making a mock hanging of the prince when it was in fact someone totally different. So again, why would they cover your version of the truth when it exonerates everyone being judged for it now? If your truth were out there it would take all the blame away from the government and military. You must have an answer and I'm really interested in hearing it. Please.

Likes of me? Hey, go screw yourself lol :) . How am I a bad person for asking you to explain how with a memorial EVERY YEAR and all the information readily available on the net and other sources that you are the first and only person I have ever heard say your version of history? Now at the moment EVERYONE judges the government and military at that time to be akin to evil, so how on gods name could it be in their interest to cover the truth that they were justified in going in their and killing people? As it stands we all think they were unjustified, you do realise the history they teach about that event everywhere is that the military went in and massacered innocent children for the ridiculous reason that the press shopped up a photo of the students making a mock hanging of the prince when it was in fact someone totally different. So again, why would they cover your version of the truth when it exonerates everyone being judged for it now? If your truth were out there it would take all the blame away from the government and military. You must have an answer and I'm really interested in hearing it. Please.

At the time a large percentage of the population of Thailand did not think that it was Unjustified as trouble had been brewing since the big bash of 1973. The incident of 1973 was halted by the King's intervention but what happened was that the students and others of their ilk realized that they did indeed have the power to change history.

But the students unions of those days decided to adopt the communist model to follow, plus at that time, Thailand had communist insurgency problems all around its borders and even quite inland. The students had quickly become demanding and troublesome, openly trying to convert the "masses" to the communist ideology. And of course the army and the palace knew what would happen if there was a people's revolution.

So, the order came down that the main instigators, and they were at Thammasat, had to be removed, peacefully or otherwise.

As I said before, thousands of people were bussed in by the government the night before, then it start early the next morning, when the students refused to come out, it was then that they sent the 4 negotiators in, but all 4 were immediately shot down in the gateway. I saw it and so did thousands of others.

That was what set the fire fight off, there was no way the army/police were going to stop.

The so called picture was a minor thing, it was all about power that the student had got in the 1973 incident, they were openly challenging the government in 1976, and were communists as well, and the government of that period were afraid of losing, so they went down and took out the problem. The government's action that day was indeed secretly, and in some places, welcomed by the USA, because back in those days Thailand was very right wing, and the CIA were everywhere, advising and heavily involved with the Thai government. The US saw it as a necessary action, and gave the nudge to the Thais to eliminate the problem once and for all. Thailand was offered every help to eliminate all communists from its territory back then, and was routinely supplied with free weapons by the US.

Edited by Hawk