Farang Is A Word With Racial Connotations

fanta rood

I always have to laugh when I see foreigners use the word farang to describe themself. Especially when they pronounce it with that english-american accent. It's the first word they learn.

I consider the word a huge insult and a word with racial connotations unless it's used to describe a particular fruit. There are other words that are much more polite and that could be used instead. Lastly in the last 20 years farang has also become synonym for a group of people that just aren't wanted here in Thailand. Yet they just don't want to leave. Do you want to be associated with these kind of people? I don't think so too.

Farang is used and has the same meaning as that N-word. So why do you guys use this word?

Oh please don't pronounce it the american way... it just makes me cringe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense, drivel, tripe.

You don't get to decide what it means. It's a Thai word, Thai people do not use it as a derogatory word collectively.

People like you get confused, because it's probably always being used in that way toward you. Stupid Farang, Fat Farang, obnoxious Farang etc etc.

The word is NOT a racial slur.

It's racial. Whether you like it or not. It's an insult and a great one. It's just that foreigners just don't know the background of it.

It's also incredibly stupid to use it as a foreigner yourself. If you are afro-american, you don't go around and say you are a (n-word here). Or if you are spanish, chinese do you use those racial words that exist to describe. If you go to spain or china on holidays you don't say you are foreigner. You say you are a tourist or visitor. Let alone borrow the spanish word for foreigner and use it to describe you. You can see it in the reaction of thai people that its in insult too. They assume you don't understand this word but if you do and if you look at them they are embarrassed and apologize. Why use the word farang? Even when talking to another foreigner you use this word. Why? Why not in the worst case just call it a foreigner?

This is my opinion and rant about it. It's racial and that is final. It's just that you guys don't know the true meaning and you use it happily like it's nothing.

Nonsense, drivel, tripe.

You don't get to decide what it means. It's a Thai word, Thai people do not use it as a derogatory word collectively.

People like you get confused, because it's probably always being used in that way toward you. Stupid Farang, Fat Farang, obnoxious Farang etc etc.

The word is NOT a racial slur.

Hello mate, whats the weather like in lah lah land? It's a obnoxious pig ignorant term and a done to death thread. I totally agree with the OP and do find some foreigners easy acceptance of it a cross between cringeable/laughable. :):D

This is my final rant. I think it's incredibly stupid to use this word. Especially if you use it in conversations with other foreigners and especially if you pronounce it the american way. God it's so humiliating.

Like I said before do you go to China or Japan or South-Africa and use their specific word for foreigner? Or do you just say I am a tourist. I am from Italy. I am an German. The word foreign by itself is in many cases already an insult in the west. How many people complain about those "foreigners" stealing jobs, working illegal etc

This indeed has been done to death. Is there a topic that hasn't been done to death? women, politics we have all done them. Face it thaivisa isn't original anymore. And once in a while its nice to have a done to death topic that everybody had already forgotten about it and might have new opinions in the mean time.

But I am getting really annoyed now how easy it is for other foreigners to use this word.

Yes, this is an overdone topic. But for the record, the word "farang" is absolutely not a derogatory word. For comparison sake, it's exactly the same as the word "Asian" used in America to describe those of Asiatic descent. Some farangs can choose to lose sleep over this, but you should realize that it won't change a thing. Ever. Thai's will continue to use the word to describe Caucasians with no malicious intent, and I will surely continue to use it. The origin of the word did not come from a fruit, but rather the French who visited ions ago (farang-sate). Agree or disagree, the Thai's will not change to accommodate you. Good on them.

This is my final rant. I think it's incredibly stupid to use this word. Especially if you use it in conversations with other foreigners and especially if you pronounce it the american way. God it's so humiliating.

Like I said before do you go to China or Japan or South-Africa and use their specific word for foreigner? Or do you just say I am a tourist. I am from Italy. I am an German. The word foreign by itself is in many cases already an insult in the west. How many people complain about those "foreigners" stealing jobs, working illegal etc

I am a Farang and proud of it.

A racial slur is only a racial slur if you want to take it that way. Once peopleralise you cannot be offended by words (meant or otherwise) then the racial side of it disappears.

There are a lot more important things in life to worry abut

Get a life

edit

Also I am in HK I am a Gweilo. Same Same but different

Edited by thaimite

Even the words 'pretty' or 'special' can be used insultingly, it is a matter of context. Farang is a word that is used descriptively some times and insultingly some times. If I use it to describe myself I am not offended, why should you be?

Edited by canuckamuck

This topic has been done to death because people still get it wrong.

If I'm talking to a Thai person and want to ask them if their boss, or their husband or wife is a Westerner, then what word should I use?

The word Farangs closest counterpart is Caucasian. Now because we simply don't use that word much in every day speech, doesn't mean Thais can't use their word in their language.

To make comparisons to Spain, Italy and anywhere else is pointless. It's a Thai word in the Thai language, what has how words are used in any other language got to do with it.

Ask Thai people, (if you speak any Thai) they'll tell you. Or I suppose they'd all be lying would they?

A racial slur is only a racial slur if you want to take it that way. Once peopleralise you cannot be offended by words (meant or otherwise) then the racial side of it disappears.

Get a life

And who says theres not enough humour on TV :D:D:D Something to be proud of for sure :)

What is the American way to pronounce it? Recently a woman said to me, " My me pu en yack len fa lang." I think that means I don't have friend want to play with foreigner.

Most of the Thai people that I hear say fa lang or fa lung. Is that American?

Hello mate, whats the weather like in lah lah land? :):D

The same as it is for all the other people that agree with me on this thread so far :D

People who think it's a racial slur have more than likely only experienced it as such, directed at themselves.

It would be interesting to know how many people who are fluent Thai speakers (not me) still think the word is derogettory. Very few to none. That says it all.

Get a life

edit

I have absolutely no worries about the word at all. I often refer to myself as a farang. My wife and kids call me that, it's not at all insulting, rather an endearing term.

I do believe that the original term came from the Persian and Arab traders who referred to the Portuguese as farangs when they first came to this country to do trade here centuries ago.rolleyes.gif

Farang is not derogatory and if you think so it only shows how little you know about the language. I'm surprised to see people complaining about this at all. I see the words "n*ggers, paki, chinaman" etc.. being used on this forum liberally so why are a bunch of middle aged white men getting all huffy and weepy over the use of the word farang?

Give me a break.

And I believe the origin lies in "francais".

The French had control of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for some time, and I believe the French were the first caucasians seen in larger numbers by Thais.

French in Thai: "Farangsé"

Francais --> Farangsé --> Farang

So we are all french in a way.

:):D:D

I frankly couldn't care tiddly squat WHAT people call me or think of me. If they want to insult me then that is THEIR perogative. It just demeans them and doesn't affect me in the slightest. In fact I just laugh and agree with them.

Many, many words can be spoken in endearing terms or as an insult. Blacks often call each other the N word in a good natured way.

As others have said, the "farang" topic has been debated hundreds of times. I've been in the countryside of Thailand far from where most tourists go and had laughing Thai children waving to me and calling..."Farang!, Farang!, Farang!" I highly doubt they are trying to insult me. That is far different than some sneering Thai man muttering "farang" at me in a low tone and a nasty look on his face.

Racists are contemptable and beneath my concern. They are more to be pitied and worried about.

Get a life

edit

I have absolutely no worries about the word at all. I often refer to myself as a farang. My wife and kids call me that, it's not at all insulting, rather an endearing term.

I do believe that the original term came from the Persian and Arab traders who referred to the Portuguese as farangs when they first came to this country to do trade here centuries ago.rolleyes.gif

I thought it came from french , but might be wrong .

The OP is definetely wrong , typically a case of a ' farang ' :) , who whilst coming here from time to while , thinks he understands Thailand their language and their tones with their ways , I'll tell you , you don't whatever you say .

Although I do understand you can feel insulted , because in the West it is mostly viewed as racial discrimination .

I can tell you that while living here for years , it isn't ment as it could come over .

They call Chinese chin , blacks negro or 'gon dam' , and whites farang or 'gon kgau ', Indians and arabs 'kek' .

How they should call us then ?

Anyway as every word some Thais do and can use it in a derogatory way , but they just say it to give us a name .

Think its the same when blacks came in the Western society first , people never seen them before and say black black ,

they must have felt they came from a different planet as well , some Thais still arent used to us , time will change it ,

but we will still be FARANGS .

Hello mate, whats the weather like in lah lah land? :):D

The same as it is for all the other people that agree with me on this thread so far :D

People who think it's a racial slur have more than likely only experienced it as such, directed at themselves.

It would be interesting to know how many people who are fluent Thai speakers (not me) still think the word is derogettory. Very few to none. That says it all.

Your closing arguement in your final paragraph is flawed my friend. You have made a statement that you cannot sustantiate and have no grounding for. :D Put simply, you've made that up to suit your arguement.

If you are "proud" to be called a farang i suppose up to you. Personally i wish people would show more self respect.

The French had control of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for some time, and I believe the French were the first caucasians seen in larger numbers by Thais.

Thats what I thought , think its correct .

I'm a 'Jock' from Scotland. Sadly Thai people just see a white guy with a big nose. So categorise all white people with a big nose with the word Farrang (as stated before the name for the French) I am not French and so find the Farrang word slightly annoying. It is in no way like the "N" word. It is just the word for "white" foreigner. I asked Thais what they call foreigners from Japan or China or Vietnam....and I get blank stares followed by Yeepon, Pratet Cheen and Wee et nam.....If you point out these are not names for people but the country they come from. I get more blank stares. So why not call call me Scotland?

I have learned that 90% of Thai people have had very limited education of any form. Trying to teach them anything other than what they already know is very difficult. The education and "class / hierarchy" system does not allow people to question elders or others in positions of superiority.

All "western" educated "Farrangs" should bless and kiss the very mother land they come from for allowing them to have the opportunity to ask one little word. And be rewarded with a succint and detailed reply .....and that word is WHY?

Why do we do this? Why do we do that? Why can it not be different? Why am I here? Why do I have to do this?

Because dear reader this is not the case in this country. And maybe ? that is why there are so many people on the streets of Bangkok now. The world is changing and changing fast. MTV and Internet have a lot to answer for and Farrangs taking Thais out of the country and showing them the way of the rest of the world can only sow seeds that will hopefully grow to produce a better educated more worldy wise population that can ask questions and get the truth. Not a doctored, censored or brainwashing "this is how it is and do as I tell you not as I do" response.

A brief resume of what my GF thought...Eucalyptus trees are from Thailand.....Waterfalls are exclusive to Thailand....Concrete Giraffes and Zebras look good in a garden?...There are Chang in Scotland?....I could go on.

I have pointed out waterfalls in Scotland are "free to view' and Thai people do not have to pay Farrang prices to go and stand next to them.........

So in conclusion stop using the word FARRANG....cos you will be charged 5 times more to look at cascading water....

:):D:D

I frankly couldn't care tiddly squat WHAT people call me or think of me. If they want to insult me then that is THEIR perogative. It just demeans them and doesn't affect me in the slightest. In fact I just laugh and agree with them.

Many, many words can be spoken in endearing terms or as an insult. Blacks often call each other the N word in a good natured way.

As others have said, the "farang" topic has been debated hundreds of times. I've been in the countryside of Thailand far from where most tourists go and had laughing Thai children waving to me and calling..."Farang!, Farang!, Farang!" I highly doubt they are trying to insult me. That is far different than some sneering Thai man muttering "farang" at me in a low tone and a nasty look on his face.

Racists are contemptable and beneath my concern. They are more to be pitied and worried about.

If the Op just had a little pinky of your ability , we wouldn't have to go over this topic again would we ? :D

I have heard many well educated Thais use the the word "farang" in conversations in both Thai and in English to each other and to westerners, with out any intent whatsoever of using it in a derogatory manner.

Some say it is derogatory, some say not. Even Wikipedia seems to sit on the fence a bit, but leans towards it being considered derogatory by some but not all.

This whole discussion is totally pointless, (which is why I am joining in :D ), and I couldn't give a fig who uses the word and how many times they say it and whether or not they say it with an American accent.

Quite frankly, anyone who gets their nickers in a twist about such a trivial matter needs to get a life.

And even if it is a derogatory term, the black Americans frequently use the "n " word when talking to each other, so why shouldn't white, balding pot bellied westerners use the "F" word when conversing with each other? :D

A term of endearment even.... :)

Because dear reader this is not the case in this country. And maybe ? that is why there are so many people on the streets of Bangkok now. The world is changing and changing fast. MTV and Internet have a lot to answer for and Farrangs taking Thais out of the country and showing them the way of the rest of the world can only sow seeds that will hopefully grow to produce a better educated more worldy wise population that can ask questions and get the truth. Not a doctored, censored or brainwashing "this is how it is and do as I tell you not as I do" response.

A lot of times it's not because they are uneducated it's simply because they don't care about what you have to say and are just humoring you. Thais know a lot more than you think and it requires a degree of fluency to understand that most you meet aren't bumpkins.

Believe me most know there are elephants and eucalyptus trees elsewhere. Unless you're hanging out with mental deficients or something..

Thats what I thought , think its correct .

I shall have to get all my family and friends plus all the Thais who call me farang to call me nai Angrit.

Image that I, from the southern part of England and not that far from France being called French.

The insult. :D

Remember Agincourt. :)

fr,

It is hot here, calling my fellow farang " Khon dang Chaad" is just too exhausting.

What is wrong about describing a person by his race or optical appearance?

Why speak about Peter, the nice black haired former car racer with this unbelievable biceps, when you just could say: Peter, the guy in the wheelchair?

PC hypocrisy.

:)