Business Class Internet

Valjean

Hi,

I've got a company here, with around 12 of us who 100% depend on the Internet to get work done. We had a LoxInfo business ASDL line (20000 thb / month) but didn't need the dedicated IT and the bandwidth sucked. So switched to having 2 3MB ASDL lines, LoxInfo (6000 thb / month) and True (799 thb / month) and it's still bad.

Overall I haven't been impressed with LoxInfo.

What's the solution for great Internet for an Internet-based business. Everything we need to access is out of Thailand including our servers. The lost productivity costs me every day. I'd pay more if it made a difference.

Thanks for any ideas,

Hi

I don't have as many users as you but run a Free WIFI facility for my Bar & Guesthouse in Pattaya as well as my 2 businesses for web traffic and my commercial requirements for emails & surfing as well as an International accesss link to a global server About 3 years ago I changed to CAT from TTNT/TOTand have basically since then have had minimal outages, downtime or bandwidth challenges. In fact, apart from once when I forgot to pay a bill and once I rectified I was back on line within 20 minutes, the only problem has been my own hardware issues.

I am only paying about1700Bht per month for I think 1/512 service and speed is not a problem in orout no matter how many users are accessing the system. I know they have bigger facilities available.

I am sure they will be able to assist you as they have me and many Internet Cafes that have changed.

Cheers

What does your network setup look like? Do you do load balancing between the different ADSL lines or are they attached to separate parts of the network independently?

What programs are being used by the staff? Keep in mind that even throttled torrent traffic kills most consumer grade ADSL lines (due to excessive amounts of concurrent connections. I know for a fact True has a very low limit on concurrent connections).

Instead of consumer grade ADSL lines, upgrade to business ADSL. Less limitations, and only a bit more expensive. They do not cost 20,000 baht....

Ask for as much upload bandwidth as you can get.

Example: http://www.trueinternet.co.th/product_corp...oldpackage.html

We are doing load balancing using a Linksys 10/100 4-port VPN Router. I can't say 100% we have this set up optimally but it should be doing load balancing between the two lines. Beyond that we're a standard Windows AD network. Just basic file share on the network.

We had the business ADSL with Loxinfo, and paid the 20,000 a month but it wasn't any better and maybe worse. It's just as I recall a 1MB line, you're paying for the fixed IP address more I think.

Applications

We update and maintain WordPress sites; our dedicated server for that is in the UK with Rackspace. This is most critical - both doing the updates via the CMS and reviewing sites.

We use a number of SaaS apps such as Zendesk, Capsule CRM, FreshBooks, DropBox, Google Apps - all Web 2.0 style apps. No VPN, nothing like SharePoint or remote hosted apps.

We are looking at, updating, reviewing, migrating websites all day long so just basic slow load times really costs is in productivity.

We don't allow any torrent data or P2P during normal work hours. I'll check and make sure we don't have any traffic.

Reading this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Internet-Lea...nd-t245703.html makes me think a leased line is too expensive. And I'm of the opinion that the problem is out of Thailand so matter what the bandwidth it seems to some extent once you get on the line up to Singapore or where ever you connect up to the backbone that's going to throttle you. I guess the question might be who has the best QoS or lines to the backbone.

Perhaps this is just a fact of life for working here and I should quit moaning :-( But I will look at CAT.

You may want to give JASNET (recently changed their name from JINET) a try. Their website is http://www.jasnet.co.th/home/

I used their BizConnext 2MB package on a TOT line for about 14 months and the service only went down one weekday morning for approx 3 hours and JASNET jumped all over the problem and got it fixed...they say it was a TOT DSLAM problem and not a JASNET problem...but regardless, they fixed the problem ASAP. Cost for a 2MB fixed IP package is 1890 Bath/month plus 7% VAT. International speed/bandwidth was very good 24/7 and I think their contention/user ratio is 10 to 1.

I've also been informed they now have a 4MB package for 2800 Baht (includes VAT I think). I only changed because the TOT 4MB package at 590 Baht/month gives me adequate speed (international and in-Thailand) for my basic home use. Call JASNET regarding their 2800 Baht package because their website doesn't reflect it.

I would have definitely stayed with them except for the package pricing for routine home use (i.e., I was looking for something for less than 1000 Baht/month via my TOT line).

Edited by Pib