Thai National Driving In Uk

Eastender

My wife (married 2 weeks ago in Thailand thanks!) is taking driving lessons in BKK in preperation for her coming to live in the UK.

If and when she passes and gets a license can she then apply for an international driving license and use this to drive in the UK?

(Someone told me recently that some nationalities need to take some form of test before being able to use their foreign license to drive in the UK).

My wife (married 2 weeks ago in Thailand thanks!) is taking driving lessons in BKK in preperation for her coming to live in the UK.

If and when she passes and gets a license can she then apply for an international driving license and use this to drive in the UK?

(Someone told me recently that some nationalities need to take some form of test before being able to use their foreign license to drive in the UK).

I'm pretty sure that Thai people can get an International Driving license in Bangkok.

She can certainly drive with a Thai licence and IDP :D(but see later in this post for conflicting info).

BUT

I seem to remember reading somewhere (can't remember where now, sorry) that she won't be able to get an IDP until she has held a Thai licence for 12 months. I may be wrong, anybody else know??

It may be advisable for her to take some lessons in the UK, the driving rules are somewhat "different". You don't want her getting arrested for dangerous driving, do you.

Taking a UK test (with an interpreter is OK) will get her a UK licence.

Edit:

Hmm, just read Laulen's post. May be a good idea to contact the DVLA just in case. I can't find the bit that says she cannot drive, she certainly cannot exchange her Thai licence for a UK one as some countries can.

This page:-

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm...her%20countries

Says this:-

5. All other countries

Visitors

You may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering the United Kingdom. However, you may only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside GB and which you have driven into the country.

Surely Thailand comes under 'All other Countries'

Edit 2:

Now I'm even more confused, this site:-

http://www.thailand-uk.com/driving.html

Says she can drive for up to 12 months from her first date of entry, no mention is made of IDP...

Time to call the DVLA :o

Edited by Crossy

My wife got married to me over 2 years' ago in Britain. She is learning to drive. Having looked at the Driving Licence Authoritywebsite it is clear that Thai nationals are not allowed to drive vehicles in the UK on any type of licence, as the UK authorities do NOT recognise the validity of driver training as delivered in Thailand.

So, my advice to you is to obtain a provisional driver's licence for your wife once in the UK and take some driving lessons, including the purchase of a driving theory test booklet.

At the very least, it is good revision for us 'experienced' drivers!

I hope that this is helpful to you, even if a little disappointing.

Laulen

You're only as good a driver as you were the last time that you hit the road!

Yes, it seems that maybe she can drive here for year on a provisional license, and then she'll have to have a test here.

Will she need to take the theory test in English? I certainly hope not, I was trying a demo test on a PC last night and it's tough enough in my own language, I failed twice, despite having been driving for 20 years.

My wife got married to me over 2 years' ago in Britain.  She is learning to drive.  Having looked at the Driving Licence Authoritywebsite it is clear that Thai nationals are not allowed to drive vehicles in the UK on any type of licence, as the UK authorities do NOT recognise the validity of driver training as delivered in Thailand.

Wrong...

If you have an IDP, you can drive in the UK while the IDP is valid. However, IDPs are only ever issued for 12 months, and if you're resident in the UK, you're only allowed to drive in the UK for the first 12 months you spend in the country. After that, you need a UK licence. (But that's like Thailand - you can only drive on your IDP for the first 90 days in the country. As soon as you extend your stay, you need to have gotten yourself a Thai licence).

However, what Thailand's rules are for getting an IDP is a completely different matter. Unconfirmed rumours I've heard are that you can only get one if you've got a 5 year licence. (i.e. you passed your Thai test at least a year ago), and I don't know if there is a further test to get the IDP. (I don't think so).

The website states which licences you can exchange for a UK licence, and Thailand isn't on that list. That simply means you have to sit a UK test if you want to drive after your first year in the country. It does not state that Thais with an IDP can't rent a car at the airport if they're in the UK on holiday.

If you have an IDP, you can drive in the UK while the IDP is valid. However, IDPs are only ever issued for 12 months, and if you're resident in the UK, you're only allowed to drive in the UK for the first 12 months you spend in the country. After that, you need a UK licence. (But that's like Thailand - you can only drive on your IDP for the first 90 days in the country. As soon as you extend your stay, you need to have gotten yourself a Thai licence).

This info is correct, known several thais come over and drive for 12 months on a micky mouse licence before going for a good old british one. One could not pass so offered the examiner £50, wonder where she got that idea from

:o -peter

Yep, absolutley agree with BKK_Mike. I'm in the UK at the moment and a few of my friends are driving around on IDPs (one 'purchased' their Thai License and used that to get the IDP! - don't ask me how though). Can only be used for up to 12 months.

As to the UK Theory Test - my wife did hers 4 years ago now, and they do do it in many languages, but not Thai. It is allowable to use an interpretor, but they have to be acredited by the DVLA (and 4 years ago there were exactly zero Thai interpreters acredited by the DVLA!).

However, there is a absolute list of questions for the UK Theory test (a couple of hundred or so I think) - the list is published in several books with the answers. It can be bought on CD ROM as 'Theory testers' too. I got my wife a CD ROM and she spent two weeks playiong it until she knew all the answers - she passed on her second attempt with two wrong answers (failed on 4 wrong the 1st time).

I think I can answer this better than most. A lot of people say they can or cannot,because no-one is absolutely sure. Well, my wife drove on her Thai licence in the U.K. for around a year. One day while reversing in a public car park she bumped a car. Although she left a note on the other cars windscreen, and reported it to a warden, she was reported to the police by a passer-by. She received a letter asking her to bring her licence to the local nick. She duly obliged, and was cleared of any wrong doing, her Thai licence being perfectly acceptable.

Note: She did have the Thai licence translated into English by one of the translation services in BKK before she left,and the result was an A4 laminated document, with all the legal stamps on it.

Assuming you can trust a copper to know the law too. I wnt to my local nick when I was 16 (a few years ago now!) to seek info as to L plates on my moped. I was duly informed by the desk seargent that I only need one on the back. This gleaned no weight with the plod that pulled me three days later - and gave me 3 points (LP10) for not displayonmg L Plates front and back!