Is Abhisit Finished Whatever Happens?

thaibeachlovers

Having just arrived in LOS and seeing Thai TV, plus the blockade, he appears to have been too weak to deal with the reds, and rich people that own businesses in the tourist area of Siam, eg Paragon, Central World are losing millions. His only response seems to have been to ask them to keep paying their employees wages!

IMO, he's history after the election, if not before.

Probably. But this is about more than just one man of course. (Or two, including Thaksin.) Pretty much all westerners would like to see Thailand move forward in peace, freedom, and justice. There is no clear path there now. Many of us feel a red takeover would mean massive misery, the opposite of progress.

Probably. But this is about more than just one man of course. (Or two, including Thaksin.) Pretty much all westerners would like to see Thailand move forward in peace, freedom, and justice. There is no clear path there now. Many of us feel a red takeover would mean massive misery, the opposite of progress.

It puts me in mind of Chuan Leekpai, a good man who might have led Thailand into a true "golden age" if events had not swept him away. Shame.

He has tried to do his best in an impossible situation and he has kept violence to a minimum - so far. I am not unsympathetic to the protesters, but I would be sad to see him go. He is truly a good man. :)

I would bet the house that the next PM (or President, whatever, red or not red) won't be nearly as good.

We can hope in the Land of Surprises somehow Abhisit can survive all this, but it seems unlikely. I for one believe he was on his way to really making a major contribution here.

(or Land of Setbacks? :D

Edited by Lopburi99

Yes.....A clever man knows when he is beaten and he is like a boxer on the ropes now, who will not go to the floor.

Rightly or wrongly he should do what is best and stop the violence while he can,any further stalling will just bring more bloodshed,people should realise by now the red shirts are not going to go away and steps should be taken to have an election in the coming months,i am not saying this will solve the problem but it will give the country some time and stability.

What is happening now is just a mess and will sure spread to provinces and further deaths.

He will likely get banned for 5 years in the upcoming court decision on the Democrats.

People have short memories though. He is still young, and 5 years hence he will likely be returning. Personally, I wouldn't mind that much if I were him. Trying to be an honest politician in the present environment is a tough job.

He gave it his best shot, and being banned will serve the dual purpose of proving that there are not dual standards under the law and prevent anyone from trying to guilt him into coming back into this mad house under the premise of "duty to country".

He has tried to do his best in an impossible situation and he has kept violence to a minimum - so far. I am not unsympathetic to the protesters, but I would be sad to see him go. He is truly a good man. :)

I would bet the house that the next PM (or President, whatever, red or not red) won't be nearly as good.

We can hope in the Land of Surprises somehow Abhisit can survive all this, but it seems unlikely. I for one believe he was on his way to really making a major contribution here.

(or Land of Setbacks? :D

Theres an old saying Lopburi99, I am sure you are familiar with it, "One step forward, two steps back". The entire globe seems to be going through similar motions.

Are you resident in Thailand???

just curious and an honest answer would be appreciated.

Phil Williams

Resident in Chiangmai

Phil Williams

Resident in Chiangmai

Duh!

Living here for past 3 years and coming to Thailand for past 11 years, I have realized that a man like Abhisit is not the right kind of Prime Minster. They need someone that people not only respect but also afraid of.

This country is always in verge of anarchy. Examples are all over. I see it all the time. One example, when in traffic, if one car goes to the opposite traffic lane all other cars will follow, in a store, if one person cuts queue, then everyone start to cut.

Laws can’t be just drawn it should be enforceable, and I don’t see this with Abhisit

Living here for past 3 years and coming to Thailand for past 11 years, I have realized that a man like Abhisit is not the right kind of Prime Minster. They need someone that people not only respect but also afraid of.

This country is always in verge of anarchy. Examples are all over. I see it all the time. One example, when in traffic, if one car goes to the opposite traffic lane all other cars will follow, in a store, if one person cuts queue, then everyone start to cut.

Laws can’t be just drawn it should be enforceable, and I don’t see this with Abhisit

I agree. There is a lust for a strong man. That can sometimes be OK if he is a GOOD strong man. Most aren't.

Phil Williams

Resident in Chiangmai

Duh!

I must admit I had the same reaction to the question, I had to read it 3 or 4 times to see if I was missing something.

Everybody knows JT lives in Thailand, havent you seen his 'wanted' posters :)

Poor sod was up against from the start. Who could he trust,surrounded by corrupt politicians ready to stab him in the back,a gutless army and totally corrupt police force. Thaksin never got where he got or what he got without help,and those poeple are still at large and working against Abhisit.

Phil Williams

Resident in Chiangmai

Duh!

Thank you for your erudite response.

Have you the courage to answer the innocent question ? " Do you live in Thailand ???"

"Duh" is not quite good enough..................

Phil Williams

Resident in Chiangmai

Duh!

Have you the courage to answer the innocent question ? " Do you live in Thailand ???"

Now that you put it that way, questioning my courage (how bizarre), I confess, I live in Bulgaria and have never been to Thailand. Next ...

post-37101-1272465067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Now that you put it that way, questioning my courage (how bizarre), I confess, I live in Bulgaria and have never been to Thailand. Next ...

idiot

I hope he stays, or at least returns. I have a suspicion that people very high up are behind him. He still has the support of the Army and that in itself speaks volumes. I wish him luck. It is clearly difficult in this nation to engage protestors with any form of violence, but the man has guts. As someone has already said, he just won't let himself get knocked down, and for that Thai people and democracy owe him a great debt. The problem is they will not realise it for a few years to come, much sooner of the man aboroad comes back.

Laws can't be just drawn it should be enforceable, and I don't see this with Abhisit

If the world had not shifted to a globalized economy, if resources weren't diminishing, if a succession weren't coming up, I might agree with you. Thailand now needs a transformative government to take it away from the former "balance of opposing interests" governance its had heretofore. The balance is about to shift too radically IMO, so Abhisit needs to make a stand now. Sure, he may fail...

Edited by lannarebirth