Recommended Courses

lioness

I am hoping for a bit of advice from those that have experiences this.

My neice is planning on coming to Thailand, she wants to do a course via the Internet from here in Thailand that qualifies her as an English Teacher.

A few questions

What exactly will she require, is TEFL enough?

Has anyone any recommendation as per the source of the course, how do you know who is acceptable as a trainer.

We have noticed that some plaes such as TEFL online offer several courses, some for a certificate and some for diploma, would it be better to go for the highest one possible.

She is a smart girl, she has her masters degree in Physiotherapy, but as she has decided to travel she feels teaching is a good option for getting around.

Any advice would be welcome as I am out of my depth here. thank you.

^I agree, for best results. Second best is one taught in a classroom setting with supervised practice anywhere else, preferably with a mix of age groups involved.

My neice is planning on coming to Thailand, she wants to do a course via the Internet from here in Thailand that qualifies her as an English Teacher.

Hi, do you really think an on line course will qualify her as an English teacher? I personally believe that a TESOL made in Thailand would be much more successful.

The course doesn't really make you, or her to an English teacher, it gives you many ideas what and how to do your job.

Writing lesson plans, actually to give supervised lessons.

There's a huge difference making such a course and walking into a classroom with 60 students who can't speak English.

They're mumbling something in Thai and it's your job to teach them the English language, while you'll have to keep them under control. Thailand's school days......

Teaching English in Thailand isn't really an easy job, believe me.

^I agree, for best results. Second best is one taught in a classroom setting with supervised practice anywhere else, preferably with a mix of age groups involved.

Hi, do you really think an on line course will qualify her as an English teacher? I personally believe that a TESOL made in Thailand would be much more successful.

I don't really think anything, thats why I posted. I was just checking out her options, but as an aside there are many many internet sites offering TESOL, are they all no good? Has anyone here done an internet course. There are no courses available in our area.

The course doesn't really make you, or her to an English teacher, it gives you many ideas what and how to do your job.

There's a huge difference making such a course and walking into a classroom with 60 students who can't speak English.

They're mumbling something in Thai and it's your job to teach them the English language, while you'll have to keep them under control. Thailand's school days......

I don't really think anything, thats why I posted. I was just checking out her options, but as an aside there are many many internet sites offering TESOL, are they all no good? Has anyone here done an internet course. There are no courses available in our area.

I haven't taken an online TEFL, but my ex did. It taught theory and strategies for teaching non-native speakers. Of course, there was no "hands on" component. I agree that a course that includes real-life training is best. However, if that's not an option, I think that an online TEFL can be ok if you get a job with a company/school that provides training. My ex's company provided training that included observations of experienced teachers, practice lessons, and training in writing lesson plans. For the first week of school (or longer if needed), all new teachers were accompanied by teacher trainers who co-taught lessons and then observed to make sure the new teachers were comfortable and effective. I can't imagine teaching for a school that just dumps you in the classroom the first day with no support - no matter what kind of TEFL you have.

Actually, if you read again what Peaceblondie and I wrote more carefully, you will discover that we are recommending classroom-taught TEFL courses *in Thailand*, not online classes elsewhere.

I did the Cambridge Celta course 10 years ago and recommend it highly for english teaching. I found the course quite grueling but it's only 4 weeks and you get a lot of experience during the course teaching classes to real students. I'm not a natural when it comes to getting up in front of a class but by the time I finished the course and went to work in Vietnam I had no problems at all doing it. The manager who hired me also said that I'd have no problems getting a job anywhere in Vietnam with that qualification even as a fresh graduate with no experience apart from Celta (that was 10 years ago I'm not sure what requirements are now).