Mods

Desertexile

MODS why do you do it?

I am genuinely interested:

Why did you become a Mod?

Did you ask to be or was it offered?

How many hours do you spend on it per week?

You take a lot of <deleted> from posters - does this bother you?

How do you feel about offering your labour on a voluntary basis to a 'for profit' business?

Do you miss being just a poster?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:)

I'll make no real bones about it. I think the forum owners have done some amazing kind of job in getting volunteers involved in a for profit business. OK, so the Princes Trust, Oxfam etc attract loads of volunteers with no much going on to help them out but I rarely see a for profit business achieve the same. From a business point of view, practical and academic, its some feat.

So, I am more interested in how Mods feel about that question.

Dont be shy.

first up - I dont see a problem in this thread, as I do not see the question as being about moderation policy or moderation action

but rather the reason we become moderators.

so as long as the discussion stay that way, Im letting this run

and will even start the answers.......

I was asked to be a MOD. at the time I was already becoming inactive as a member, but was asked cos the MOD team felt they wanted to have a Thai on board seeing this is a Thai related website. Why did I agree?

hmmm good question :D

too much time on my hands?

I thought red colour suits me? :D (in reality I prefer green though....)

the attention is good for my ego? :)

haha, so in reality it was mostly the case of too much time on my hand I suppose????

by the way, Gonzo posted while I was writing, so I will add that I personally dont see a reason why MODs would not answer. there is no complicated theories behind why all of us have become MODs, so no reason to not be able to answer the question. the way I see it.

I don't think the most truthful answer can be brought out, not by anyone, mod or not, who wishes to remain part of this forum

this forum is a business, not a democracy.

I hope I am allowed to say this....

if not, its been nice to know you

I don't think it is any secret that this forum is a business. Personally, I think it is a good business, hopefully profitable for the owners, and also very useful for its members. Cheers.

Like Migs I'm happy to let this run, for now.

This subject comes up in various guises on a regular basis, sadly the threads tend to degenerate fairly quickly and get closed :)

MODS why do you do it?

I am genuinely interested:

Why did you become a Mod? - Because I was asked, I was actually rather flattered.

Did you ask to be or was it offered? - See above.

How many hours do you spend on it per week? - Probably more than I ought, my job allows me to have a permanent internet connection and there's usually one or two TV windows open, whenever something important happens a pop-up alerts. Servicing a report make a welcome change from reviewing / fixing some document written in English by a Turk working in India and translating from Urdu. Same in the evening, if I'm not actively surfing the net or working, a pop up alerts when a report is issued. Before anyone jumps in and accuses me of 'stealing time' from my employer, I'm paid by results, not by the time I spend in an office, much of my work is done from home in my own time anyway.

You take a lot of <deleted> from posters - does this bother you? - I intend publishing the 'Worst of the Worst' PMs I've received. Seriously, I'm pretty thick-skinned, words on an anonymous forum do not hurt.

How do you feel about offering your labour on a voluntary basis to a 'for profit' business? - I've taken a lot from TV over the years, time to put a little back.

Do you miss being just a poster? - Sometimes, but I've never been one for controversial or political posts anyway.

Nah .... its because they don't trust you with the responsibility. :)

You didn't warn me you were gonna get all serious about this. Of course, controversial posters are never asked. They need us to create the juicy content, but not TOO juicy! (Or else!)

Thankless job and especially with so much traffic TV gets. :D

Don't worry, BM. You'll never be asked either. I think most of the mods do a good job most of the time.

Well you never know.... I could already have been asked, or might be using another nick for my mod position. :)

I was Mod for a Bike magazine website. I was compensated for my contribution. Then the mag got bought out by Germans who closed down the forums. But lets not blame them cos they were german. They could have been twunts of any colour or creed.

Someone said the mods get alot of stick. I thought we were forbidden from commenting on them. If we weren't I would ask questions like why are threads that seek comment on a contribution made slightly off topic on another thread. Cos that seems overzealous to me.

But seeing as I thought we were not aloud to discuss Mods and modding, I had not asked. Even though it seemed like a reasonable question...

Signed: Confused and much less enthusiastic about a certain forum, while being glad there are others.