Hotels In Ubon Ratchathani

haiku

Hello All,

We will be visiting Ubon Ratchathani in June and was looking for hotel recommendations in town. It’s my first time there. We looked at the Sri Isan Hotel and that looks nice, but we’d like a pool. We also look at the Sunee Grand and that’s nice too, but perhaps too nice. We really don’t need all that swanky stuff. Our price choice ends around 1700 baht per night.

Also, we’ll be renting a car and visiting family in Buntharik. How long is the drive there from Ubon Ratchathani? Also, any nice hotel/resorts down that way?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Haiku

Hi Haiku,

Do a search on Thai Visa as there are many threads about hotels in Ubon.

If your budget is up to 1700 baht and you would like a swimming pool then you might as well enjoy yourself at Sunee Grand for 1.500 baht. Buntharik is about 1.5 hours away but you will find it hard to find somewhere nice to stay. Why not stay with the family, it can sometimes be a real eye opener!

If having a pool is a dealbreaker then Sunee Grand is your best bet. Its the newest and poshest hotel in Ubon.

I've stayed there 3 times before for 1500 baht/night - yes its 4-5 star swank at a 3 star price and the pool /spar is swank central. Even the cheap rooms are big, very modern. Buffet breakfast is good also. It's certainly too good for me! Its brand new and built around a shopping mall - theres Fuji restaurant also.

Downsides - Not very homely, feels very corporate / business / conference like hotel. I can't say i liked the location - as its 2km outside town on a busy road leading to Big C - if you have transport then its no problem. I preferred to stay in a smaller place, nearer to the park close to the local resteraunts.

Theres better value (without swimming pool / no breakfast) - checkout Phadaeng Mansion (500 baht), Nartsiri Mansion(700) and Pan House (550 baht). All nice / modern / clean and a bit more low key - i've stayed at them all.

There are 3 other hotels in Ubon with rooms under 1700 that have pools.

Ubon Buri Hotel & Resort:

Pros: Clean rooms, swimming pool

Cons: It is away from the beaten path on the outskirts of town on the way to Warin. But if you have a car

it should be no problem.

Ubon International Hotel:

Pros: Centrally located, access to public transportation, swimming pool, selection of restaurants.

Cons: The rooms aren't the nicest or best kept in town.

Laithong Hotel

Pros: Access to public transportation, nice restaurant, swimming pool

Cons: rooms could use some attention

There are 3 other hotels in Ubon with rooms under 1700 that have pools.

Ubon Buri Hotel & Resort:

Pros: Clean rooms, swimming pool

Cons: It is away from the beaten path on the outskirts of town on the way to Warin. But if you have a car

it should be no problem.

Ubon International Hotel:

Pros: Centrally located, access to public transportation, swimming pool, selection of restaurants.

Cons: The rooms aren't the nicest or best kept in town.

Laithong Hotel

Pros: Access to public transportation, nice restaurant, swimming pool

Cons: rooms could use some attention

I won't stay at Ubon International - i've stayed there 1 time (8 months ago) - the room was old, rundown, dirty and worn - the pool was drained - inside it reminded me of "The Shining!" - i stayed 1 night, checked out and moved to somewhere cleaner.

If having a pool is a dealbreaker then Sunee Grand is your best bet. Its the newest and poshest hotel in Ubon.

I've stayed there 3 times before for 1500 baht/night - yes its 4-5 star swank at a 3 star price and the pool /spar is swank central. Even the cheap rooms are big, very modern. Buffet breakfast is good also. It's certainly too good for me! Its brand new and built around a shopping mall - theres Fuji restaurant also.

Downsides - Not very homely, feels very corporate / business / conference like hotel. I can't say i liked the location - as its 2km outside town on a busy road leading to Big C - if you have transport then its no problem. I preferred to stay in a smaller place, nearer to the park close to the local resteraunts.

Theres better value (without swimming pool / no breakfast) - checkout Phadaeng Mansion (500 baht), Nartsiri Mansion(700) and Pan House (550 baht). All nice / modern / clean and a bit more low key - i've stayed at them all.

When did they move the Sunee Grand out of town? I guess your part must not be what the rest of us live in. The OP has a car and maybe a family with him. He did say we are arriving. I walk from the Sunee area to the main park all the time. It is not too far by foot. I am sure the OP will not mind the five minute drive. Besides, finding the Sunee is very easy and I think it is well located for visitors. It is near Lotus and Big C. It is near several food places. It is near the shopping. The rooms are also very nice and larger. The rooms at Natsiri Mansion and Pan House are small. And Pan House is in my opinion a much worse location. it is hard to get to, noisy, and not the best part of town. Parking is also a problem at some of your choices with a car.

T

Edited by troehr

As you have thai partner, I would recommend either laitong hotel or pan house apartments, I prefer the latter, I'll be there june 7, in & out for the next month between trip to laos, close by the above are local markets, good restaurants so everyone is happy you don't need transport, can walk everywhere, as compare to nevada/ sunnee if big c & kentucky fried & mcdonalds is your go this will suit.

regards songhklasid.

whatever you do, dont stay at the pathurat hotel. its an absolute dump, lots of mafiaoso types hanging around the corridors trying to get you to vote for nick clegg.

as for the ubon international, the name may have changed in typically thai fashion but the rooms havent been done up since who knows when?

as for the sunee, havent stayed there yet but am put off by the loud, naff beer garden complete with noisy music outside

I used to stay at Sri Isan before and it is ok, but if you are ready to spend 1700 b I would stay at Sunee Hotel, rooms/services much nicer and also better location.

Now they also offer free internet (LAN) in the room while before you had to pay a 100 B fee.