Paradise Lost

Me&MrsJones

Hi fellas,

Few years back (2005), i went to Koh Kham (geographically, near Koh Chang). Koh Kham WAS a lovely, tiny, rugged island with a perfect beach. It was so isloated and natural that they only had electricty from 6am to 6pm...and only one bar/restaurant. You could walk from one end of the island to the other in about 3 minutes.....it was tiny and only had 14 bungalows.

Recently, so i read on the internet, this place has been bought for the purpose of being turned into a 5* resort aimed at the "top end" market. ........and i'm gutted about that!!

My question is - does anyone know of a simlarly described island anywhere in Thailand? Just need to get away from the hussle and bussle without being forced into staying at "top end" places, places which ultimately leave me feeling rather light in the wallet and completely unsatisfied in every other way too. Has Thailand become a paradise lost?

I've been to Koh Mak, Koh Chiang (getting ugly there!!), Koh Samet, Koh Samui, Koh Phuket. I dont fancy Koh Phi Phi coz it is a tourist trap as far as i have been told.

Has Thailand become devoid of secluded beauty at reasonable prices?

Just to give you guys a better idea of what i am talking about.....my budget is about 1000 per night...maybe 1500 at a stretch.... (hey, come on, stop calling me a stingy git - it is rainy season now).

Drop me a line....

Cheers

Me&MrsJones..........we got a thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

ing goin ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon !!

Isn't Kho Kham close to Sattahip?

How about Kho Man Nok: http://www.discoverythailand.com/Rayong_Ko..._of_Islands.asp

I haven't been there myself yet, but how about the 2 islands south of Kho Chang: Kho Mak and Kho Kut.

The northern part of the Andaman sea could also be interesting, just kind of far away from Bangkok: http://www.andaman-island-hopping.com/overviewnorth.htm

When are we going?? :)

Edited by sorensen

Koh Chang on the Andam side near Ranong. Small, no roads and you have to wade in the last few metres to get off the ferry. Koh Payam is close by also and a little bigger but still not developed. Both just what you are looking for

Koh Rayang on the opposite side of Koh Mak - one small basic resort on the island.

Koh Ngam, just south of Koh Chang - one small resort.

Koh Laoya, just south of Koh Chang - one small resort.

Or go to Koh Kood and you'll still find that is quiet and has dirt tracks for roads

Koh Kham has been wrecked and the development there has ground to a halt.

Koh Lippe is my favorite. Get there by ferry to Koh Tarutao then ferry to Koh Lippe. Really away from it all, great beaches on the north and south sides, very little in way of tourists.

Yes Koh Lipe would be my pick, there are also other islands in the taratou heritage park, good seafood, snorkelling, crystal clear water.

regards songhklasid

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

Here is a great website discussing the various islands. I remember going to Koh Samet back in 2002. Fantastic place right at the bottom of the island. Beautiful beach, no people...paradise. Now, it's a 5 star hotel...ruined...can't even get to the beach as they have blocked it off...illegally...

Edited by craigt3365

I was just about to start a thread myself on the sad state of Koh Samet, which I just visited for the first time over the long weekend. Part of the attraction was its "National Park" status, but as with the other national park that I've visited, at Koh Chang, it is becoming increasingly clear that this designation means very little. Areas which were probably of outstanding natural beauty have been destroyed by no planning and zoning and a total lack of management, so that they have become eyesores, with filth and rubbish strewn around, and a complete disregard for overdevelopment, (with the inevitable cheap loud music bars that would not look out of place in Pattaya). Is there no control over such things? It seems very sad to destroy this natural heritage, and surprising given the introduction of the National Park legislation in 1961.

Hi there....

Well, firstly....thanks for the info. I have been to Koh Mak and Koh Kut. Nice places.....i suppose i could think about going there again.

I'll check out your link....coz i have never heard of Koh Man Nok.....

Thanks for the info......

When are we going? Uummm........not sure yet!! Soon i hope. I'll se ya there eh!

Me&MrsJones

Isn't Kho Kham close to Sattahip?

How about Kho Man Nok: http://www.discoverythailand.com/Rayong_Ko..._of_Islands.asp

I haven't been there myself yet, but how about the 2 islands south of Kho Chang: Kho Mak and Kho Kut.

The northern part of the Andaman sea could also be interesting, just kind of far away from Bangkok: http://www.andaman-island-hopping.com/overviewnorth.htm

When are we going?? :)

OK...great....i'll check it out on the internet......

Cheers

Koh Chang on the Andam side near Ranong. Small, no roads and you have to wade in the last few metres to get off the ferry. Koh Payam is close by also and a little bigger but still not developed. Both just what you are looking for