I Forgot To Notify Immigration That I Was Leaving The Country

Last week I got back from a few weeks abroad, and I just realized that I forgot to inform immigration that I was leaving the country. :)

I'm on a Non-O multiple entry.

What kind of fine or other problems am I looking at?

I don't know if this matters, but the immigration officers at the airport gave me another 90 days and didn't rip out the white extension slip from my passport.

Thanks.

UCS

Edited by up-country_sinclair

You do not have to inform them that you are leaving.

The "White Extension Slip" will be your 90 day report receipt.

Your next 90 day report will be 90 days after the date of your return.

Question.

Do you have a Non Imm O Visa OR a 12 month extension of stay?

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Non-O and a work permit. There is a stamp in my passport which says, "extension of stay permitted up to 30 Sept. 2010." This is one year after I entered with the Non-O, so I guess I have 12 month extension of stay.

A bit further down it says, "To keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand"

Needless to say, I'm a bit confused about what I should do, and what kind of "trouble" I'm in.

By the way, the 90 day report slip says I must notify of my address in mid May, but I've got a visa stamp that is valid until mid July.

I don't think so, Lite Beer.

but I've got a visa stamp that is valid until mid July.

He came into the country and has gotten a 90 days permission of stay. Thus previous extension of stay and current work permit void.

Edited by aidenai

I am not sure what you mean. It is a little unclear.

Firstly, you must have left the country at some point. When you went through immigration you were stamped out so you did, in fact, inform immigration that you were leaving.

If you have had your visa long enough to have added an extension of stay for one year - dDid you get a re-entry permit from your locall immigration office before you went out of Thailand? This is very important. Without a re-entry permit your visa is automatically cncelled when you leave.

If you were still on a multiple entry visa where you needed to either report every 90 days or leave the country every 90 days then your recent entry into Thailand starts another period of 90 days.

If I am wrong the Lite Beer will correct me.

He came into the country and has gotten a 90 days permission of stay. Thus previous extension of stay and current work permit void.

If you have had your visa long enough to have added an extension of stay for one year - dDid you get a re-entry permit from your locall immigration office before you went out of Thailand? This is very important. Without a re-entry permit your visa is automatically cncelled when you leave.

Oh, man. Really?

What's my next step?

Without a Re Entry permit his extension of stay will have deceased on the day he left the country.

On his return he should have got a 30 day permission to stay. It would appear that the Immigration officer made a mistake.

After 30 days he will be on overstay. His Work Permit will also be void as he cannot work without the relevant Visa or Extension.

He should pay a visit to Immigration and get it sorted out.

If he could scan a few pages of his passport here it would help.

That is what I think. If you leave the country without a re-entry permit while holding a work permit, your extension of stay and work permit are automatically cancelled and you have to re-apply from start again. Ironic that it's so much troubles for workers to be allowed to be legally working here, and also troublesome to just leave the country once you're granted the work permit...

I even have nightmares about this situation, I would not want that to happen to me for sure... :-(

I don't have a re-entry stamp like that.

I didn't notify immigration before I left.

The admin staff where I work is going to contact immigration to determine how much of a mess I've made. :)

What I really want to avoid is having to leave the country to get another Non-O visa, but I fear that's exactly what I'm looking at.

You should not be on Overstay yet so that is a plus.

If you are working it would be illegally.

If I were you I would go to Immigration myself and get it sorted.

It looks like your Admin have already dropped you in it.

Immigration are normally quite helpful.

No, not on overstay yet. I just arrived last week.

As much as I'd like to blame my admin for my current predicament, this one is all on me.

I completely forgot that I had to notify immigration.

Any thoughts on whether or not I'll have to leave the country to get another Non-O?

By the way, thanks for responding to this thread. Much appreciated.

If you have to start over again you have to start with a Non Imm Visa.

This would mean a trip to a Thai Consulate to apply for one.

Until Immigration look at your passport it is still not 100% clear what the situation is.

Whatever, when you get your next 12 month extension apply for the Re Entry Permit at the same time. Then you will not forget.

I am sure the OP stated that he has a Multiple Entry Visa, does this change things?

Edit - just read that he did an extension, therefore a single entry.

To the OP - you need to get a new Extension from Immigration,

Edited by beano2274

I do have multiple entry, but my understanding is you still have to notify them.

It would seem that you do not. You have an extension of stay.

You appear to be so confused as to what you do have only a visit to Immigration can sort it out.

I'm on a Non-O multiple entry.

It looks as the OP had a multiple entry non immigrant O visa (which explains him getting 90 days on entry), which during his first entry got changed to B status and then extended to 1 year based on his employment.

He subsequently left Thailand without having a re-entry permit to keep his 1 year extension alive.

So on re-entry immigration officials just stamped him in for 90 days as per holding a valid non immigrant O multiple entry visa.

Now I am not sure being here on a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry would invalidate his work permit. I kind of doubt it. I think only entering on a visa free 30 day stamp or with a tourist visa would result in an invalid WP.

To me it looks like with a bit of luck he should be able to re-apply for a 1 year extension based on employment, which likely will include the conversion to non immigrant B status (2000 Baht).

I do have multiple entry, but my understanding is you still have to notify them.

The multiple entry has no effect on a 1 year extension. To keep a 1 year extension alive when leaving Thailand you need to apply for a re-entry permit (1000 Baht single or 3800 Baht multiple).

If he received 90 days from Immigration he has the chance to do the Extension here again, correct?

The work permit is also invalid, therefore you will have to apply for a new one of those too.

If he received 90 days from Immigration that was probably be a mistake as he should have received 30 days.

It all depends on whether he has a Non Imm Visa or a 12 Month Extension of Stay.

He seems unclear as to which he has.

If he received 90 days from Immigration he has the chance to do the Extension here again, correct?

The work permit is also invalid, therefore you will have to apply for a new one of those too.

Leaving Thailand without a re-entry permit does not invalidate your work permit, many people do this with multiple entry visa's and who do not qualify for a 1 year extension.

It used to be that you had to visit the labor office every time you re-entered, to re-sync he validity of your WP with your new entry stamp, but nowadays you get a 1 year valid WP regardless of whether you have a 90 days stamp or a 1 year extension.

1. It appears he has a valid multi entry non immigrant O visa and that was used for current entry. Check the validity until date of the visa itself to be sure it was valid for your current entry date.

2. The extension of stay is over - you now must apply for a new one year extension of stay.

3. You are here on a legal non immigrant O visa entry so work and qualification for new extension of stay should not require more than Immigration office/work paperwork.

So on re-entry immigration officials just stamped him in for 90 days as per holding a valid non immigrant O multiple entry visa.

Surely that would have expired when he got his 12 month extension.

Nope, the visa is issued by an embassy, and will stay alive as per it's validity date. Immigration cannot invalidate a visa given to you by an embassy/consulate.

Visa are basically issued by the MFA, and have nothing much to do with immigration (i know, it's a bit strange :) )

1. It appears he has a valid multi entry non immigrant O visa and that was used for current entry. Check the validity until date of the visa itself to be sure it was valid for your current entry date.

My Multi-Entry Non-O was first used in September of last year.

2. The extension of stay is over - you now must apply for a new one year extension of stay.

Do you know if there is a fee or fine involved in this?

3. You are here on a legal non immigrant O visa entry so work and qualification for new extension of stay should not require more than Immigration office/work paperwork.

I hope you're right about it only requiring paperwork. I really don't have time to do a visa run.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to respond to this thread!