Dodgy Cinema

neilf

two days ago on wed i rang that 2nd av cinema re. iron man 2. i was told the first showing was 11pm at night and that the wed reduced price ticket deal--------60baht--------did not apply beacause although the film started on wed before the end of the day ie. at 11 so before midnight it finished on thurs early morn therefore the normal higher thurs price applied-----------no visitors / poor baht to pound / political probs etc. and some bright spark comes up with that-----------lies again and blatant rippof ------i didnt go what do you think about it ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it is just the principal of the thing... NOT being a Cheap Charlie, but the fact that they say WEDNESDAY IS DISCOUNT TICKETS... If you go on Wednesday then you should get a discount.

I agree with the "emotions" I would feel the same in ANY country. If they advertise a special then they should honor it.

Sometimes it is just the principal of the thing... NOT being a Cheap Charlie, but the fact that they say WEDNESDAY IS DISCOUNT TICKETS... If you go on Wednesday then you should get a discount.

I agree with the "emotions" of the OP. I would feel the same in ANY country. If they advertise a special then they should honor it.

Like they always say - TIT - if you don't like it, the airport is still open for now.

I think a cinema in LOS or anywhere has the right to qualify what days are discount days and discount times. They also have the right to say the discounts only apply to certain movies. If they feel this is a new blockbuster they can change the game as they see fit. Its their business and its their business decision. We the viewing public have the right to go see the movie at the price on that day and time or not to go,,,,,,,,,,up to you/us.

In the OPs case he got the info before going there on the phone so it saved him the hassle of arriving expecting the discount price and then getting surprised and then going off at the ticket seller.

This is what I think

By the way I really want to see this movie at whatever price

I'm with the OP. It is the cinema being the cheap Somchai! Consider this. You go to an early bird special, dinner offer for 150 baht, 4 to 6 pm. You order your food off the early bird menu at 5:30 but pay the check at 6:30. Anywhere in the world (except perhaps Thailand) the ORDERING time price would be honored. This is a principle thing. The cinema is being sleazy.

I'm with the theatre on this one, because when you watched the preview (caught it a few times watching other movies at Major), it showed the release date for Iron Man 2 as the 29 April, which was technically Thursday. The 11pm movie was a special offering to see it an hour early. So I would expect the Thursday price to apply.

Also as LongBall mentioned, most theatres (it is the same way in the US) do not give discounts or even allow you to use gift certificates / free tickets for the first few days of a new release. It's at the theatre's discretion.

Personally, I feel I'm blessed to have a discount every Wednesday for BHT 60 and enjoy popcorn & drink for BHT 100, when doing the same at a theatre in the States on ANY day of the week would set me back about BHT 500. Even paying their regular price (what is it, BHT 120?!) is still a bargain!!

I'm with the theatre on this one, because when you watched the preview (caught it a few times watching other movies at Major), it showed the release date for Iron Man 2 as the 29 April, which was technically Thursday. The 11pm movie was a special offering to see it an hour early. So I would expect the Thursday price to apply.

You beat me to it. It was a pre-release screening and the OP should have been greatful that the cinema gave him the opportunity to watch it a day early.

It absolutely amazes me that a foreigner would adjust his movie going schedule to save 60 baht on the normal 120 baht seat prices. It amazes me even more that he feels the need to make a song and dance about it here.

I'd place bets he's one of those customers who pays for the 120 baht front seat and switches to the 140 baht rear seats after the movie starts.

Edited by tropo

I didn't catch the detail of the pre-release screening part of it. That means it was a kind of special event. I retract my comment before for this kind of case. If they are ALSO doing this on existing releases, my comment stands.

BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone trying to save a few baht here and there. The cheapest person I know also happens to be the richest person I know. He is a dollar multi-millionaire yet he demands places bring him a free cup of hot water so he can brew his own tea bags! Embarrassing, yes I know. (BTW, he is a WASP, so no ethnic stereotyping please).

These are hard economic times for many people. Most of the movies released in Thailand are crap anyway. Why pay more than you have to?

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone trying to save a few baht here and there.

I only said I was amazed to what extent foreigners will go to save a few baht. It wasn't a judgement call.

Here's the judgement call: I wouldn't want to hang out with such a cheap charlie. :)

I never go to the cinema (for other reasons) but I think if someone advertise with something they shouldn't include small print to avoid what appears to be in their advertisement. In other words, if they have a big sign saying "half price wednesday" or something like that, I don't think it's good business practice to include a tiny (except any movie that ends after midnight).

Nothing to do about being cheap charlie or liking to live here or not.

Edited by Phil Conners

I never go to the cinema (for other reasons) but I think if someone advertise with something they shouldn't include small print to avoid what appears to be in their advertisement. In other words, if they have a big sign saying "half price wednesday" or something like that, I don't think it's good business practice to include a tiny (except any movie that ends after midnight).

Nothing to do about being cheap charlie or liking to live here or not.

There probably is some small print. I've always been aware that block buster movies are not subject to discounts in the first week of screening. This would seem fairly obvious to any regular movie goer. Sometimes they charge an extra 20 baht for new releases.

Who would think that a pre-release screening would be discounted? Pre-release screenings late on Wednesday evening are common in Thailand cinemas. They used to screen them after midnight, but I think they're cutting down on early morning sessions.

Not everyone is rich. Calling thrifty people names, whether Thais or expats, is disgusting and elitist. People are more than their bank accounts. Have so many expats internalized such disgusting values, that money is everything?

Edited by Jingthing

Not everyone is rich. Calling thrifty people names, whether Thais or expats, is disgusting and elitist. People are more than their bank accounts. Have so many expats internalized such disgusting values, that money is everything?

"Cheap Charlie" is a common descriptive term used in Thailand and the Philippines. Local have other words for it. It's descriptive, not derogatory. You're being overly dramatic again.

Calling them "balloon chasers" is much more polte! :)

I give up. I do feel there is a moral difference between people trying to suck off freebies as a lifestyle choice, and those who by necessity or choice try to save some money here and there. I think saving money is smart.

I'll give myself as an example. My wealth was devastated by the financial crash and of course dollars are weaker. Yet still, by my own standards, I am happy and able to enjoy quite an enjoyable standard of living here in Pattaya, for an amount of money that would shock most free spending, more monied expats. I am also well able to continue to get retirement extensions. If I wasn't aware of my spending and taking care of limiting it, my long term life here would not be viable, but I do, and it is. Yes, I am looking for good value but that doesn't always mean being cheap. No, I have never once gone to a balloon party looking for some cheap free grub. In fact, I avoid them even at places that know me because I don't really like those kinds of events. I am aware of the movie deals and sometimes try to make it on Wednesdays, but usually I end up going on other days, mai bpen rai. I am probably a Cheap Charlie to most of you but I reject that label.

Edited by Jingthing

I do not think that you are a cheap charlie based on any of these things. but I would have pretty much expected not to pay a bargain price for a movie that had just arrived and would have made sure that I was willing to pay the price they wanted before going there and getting offended that it was not what I was hoping for.

Edited by Ulysses G.