Getting Insurance After Arriving

Sunburn

Hi guys,

Checked here and insurance forums and no-one seems to have answered this question posed by other people as yet. I am flying out tomorrow from the UK under the FO advisory which means my current insurance is invalid. Was hoping to sign up with AA insurance when I got there, but they have told me I need to apply before I leave.

Is there anywhere in Pattaya itself where I can walk in, pay up front and be covered from then until I leave? Will be there for a few days and then heading out to Buriram for 2 weeks. I understand we're covered for civil disturbances by the government itself (for what that's worth), but I'm more concerned about falling off the back of my GFs bike or getting bitten by something crawly to be honest. Anyone know anywhere reputable that offers a service like this?

Thanks in advance and apologies if posted in wrong section.

Are you talking about health insurance? I ask because you menyioned falling off a bike or getting bitten.

Anyway, you can easily apply for health insurance. Try Bupa. Whether they will do it at short notice, and for such a short time I don't know. There is also the fact that certain things are not covered for a few weeks, and they want to contact your doctor for your previous mediacl history.

Yes, sorry BW, should have been a bit more clear. I'm just looking for basic health insurance to cover me for the 2 weeks I'm there in case of accident/illness. I think BUPA only do long-term from what I can see on their site, but I would have thought there would be many similar businesses in Pattaya who will take the risk on covering a short stay, just can't find them online and don't want to shell out for a policy that's not worth the paper it's printed on, as I'm sure there's plenty of them about :)

EDIT: Just took another look at BUPA and have found something called the 'Sunshine Plan' which seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Will have to investigate further when I arrive, but looking good. Cheers matey :D

Edited by Sunburn

Check the Thai Visa insurance on this site, you'll get a quote very quickly and it's the same as the travel insurance you got in the UK. Also, (i'm posting this everywhere people are asking about insurance) I got this from my UK insurance company

Thank you for contacting Insureandgo Insurance Services Ltd. Europ Assistance Holding Ltd (Underwriters) have confirmed that no cover is provided in our travel insurance policies for cancellation or curtailment in relation to the current disturbances in Thailand. In accordance with the current Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice the following exclusions to your travel insurance policy apply:

“Any claim as a result of war, civil war, invasion revolution or similar event”

“Any claim that happens as a result of civil riots, strikes or industrial action “

“Any claim that results from you travelling to a country or an area that the Foreign and Commonwealth office have advised not to go”

However, Europ Assistance Holding Ltd have now confirmed that if you choose to travel to Thailand, despite the advice of the FCO, any claims submitted for instances unrelated to the current civil unrest in Thailand will be considered, but not guaranteed, within your policy terms and conditions.

So if something fell off your girlfriend or she bit you, you might be covered :)

Double check with your insurer, they will probably say your not covered but I asked them to clarify, pointing out I would be several hundred km's away from the demos in Bangkok.

Hope that helps

Edited by bifftastic

Check the Thai Visa insurance on this site, you'll get a quote very quickly and it's the same as the travel insurance you got in the UK. Also, (i'm posting this everywhere people are asking about insurance) I got this from my UK insurance company

Thank you for contacting Insureandgo Insurance Services Ltd. Europ Assistance Holding Ltd (Underwriters) have confirmed that no cover is provided in our travel insurance policies for cancellation or curtailment in relation to the current disturbances in Thailand. In accordance with the current Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice the following exclusions to your travel insurance policy apply:

"Any claim as a result of war, civil war, invasion revolution or similar event"

"Any claim that happens as a result of civil riots, strikes or industrial action "

"Any claim that results from you travelling to a country or an area that the Foreign and Commonwealth office have advised not to go"

However, Europ Assistance Holding Ltd have now confirmed that if you choose to travel to Thailand, despite the advice of the FCO, any claims submitted for instances unrelated to the current civil unrest in Thailand will be considered, but not guaranteed, within your policy terms and conditions.

So if something fell off your girlfriend or she bit you, you might be covered :)

Double check with your insurer, they will probably say your not covered but I asked them to clarify, pointing out I would be several hundred km's away from the demos in Bangkok.

Hope that helps

Thai Visa can offer travel insurance which will cover any claims submitted for instances unrelated to the current civil unrest in Thailand BUT the cover needs to be in place before one travels.

Their is a Bupa insurance office on sukhumvit just south of North Pattaya road, just before BKK Pattaya hospital on the same side of the street. You can get travel insurance 2 million Baht of coverage, health and accident for 3000 Baht.

Barry

Their is a Bupa insurance office on sukhumvit just south of North Pattaya road, just before BKK Pattaya hospital on the same side of the street. You can get travel insurance 2 million Baht of coverage, health and accident for 3000 Baht.

Barry

Bupa does not have anything for you for such a short period of coverage. The Sunshine plan (Platinum 1) is very good coverage, but it is for 6 months. What you will need to do is pay the full 6 months premium and then ask for partial reimbursement when you are ready to leave. That is a lot of hassel. What you should have done is purchased travel insurance from Thaivisa before you left home. There is no short term health insurance in Thailand and, as a rule, you can't buy travel insurance for the the country that you are already in. Another answer for you is to present an application to Thaivisa effective the date you plan to re-enter Thailand from Laos (or wherever). Then go out and enter Thailand from that country.